Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This is driving me crazy! Anyone remember seeing a jacket like this??

JLStorm

Practically Family
I know that I saw a wool coat that looks like a wool mackinaw red/black plaid with a shaw type shearling collar. I saw it in an add or catalog from one of the smaller clothiers around, but I cannot remember who!

Any ideas??

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Packer Coat

Here's the link at Filsons.com.
(BTW, they list it at $397.50 vs $411 at Silberman's.)
The collar is real shearling.
This is one strikingly handsome garment, especially in the charcoal color.
pFILSON1-2230961p275w.jpg

JLStorm

Practically Family
Man...I found the plaid on sale for around 340...but that grey is really nice too. I wish I could see it in person. I was hoping I saw the ad from a local store, but it must have been online.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
You may not care to know but...

You may not agree with me but-
I think the vintage/Wild West ones, like the ones available from River Junction are far superior in styling and they're way better on price.
$220(and less)- getting on for half the cost of the Filsons.
But no shearling.
They're being sold for reenacting, not to a luxury/prestige garment market,
hence the realistic price.

http://www.riverjunction.com/catalog/ccoats/mackinaw.html

I must also opin, that the "Filson" et al- ones are totally charmless and
generic in "style".

B
T

JLStorm

Practically Family
Id be using mine for hiking, camping, chopping wood, walking the dog in the winter. Temps from 5F - 25F. I would actually prefer a really high fill down jacket because they are so light, but they just rip so easy. I have a nice N3B jacket, which is nice and light weight and rugged, but a little restrictive due to its length, cut, and I hate the hood, its always in the way.

I was figuring this would fit the bill unless I find a really tough down jacket...which seems to be really hard.

norton

One of the Regulars
JLStorm said:
Id be using mine for hiking, camping, chopping wood, walking the dog in the winter. Temps from 5F - 25F. I would actually prefer a really high fill down jacket because they are so light, but they just rip so easy. I have a nice N3B jacket, which is nice and light weight and rugged, but a little restrictive due to its length, cut, and I hate the hood, its always in the way.

I was figuring this would fit the bill unless I find a really tough down jacket...which seems to be really hard.

I can personally testify that this is almost as warm and as light as down but handles moisture infinitely better. Some of the shells are pretty tough. They're expensive, but when I go winter camping in sub zero temperatures Wiggy's is about all I take.

I've never lain awake at night thinking I spent too much on my nice warm sleeping bag but I have had some sleepless nights thinking I should have spent more.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Try Canada Goose; tough as nails.

Ive thought about the Canad Goose jackets, but they are just out of my price range. I cant justify spending $600 - $800 US on a down jacket (as much as Ive thought about it) I would spend $200 - $300 on mountain hardware or North Face, but I dont trust them to hold up.

If I went with down, Id go with the Mountain Hardware Sub Zero SL parka, but again...I just doubt the fabric wont get destroyed quickly.

SZTIG.jpg

JLStorm

Practically Family
norton said:
I can personally testify that this is almost as warm and as light as down but handles moisture infinitely better. Some of the shells are pretty tough. They're expensive, but when I go winter camping in sub zero temperatures Wiggy's is about all I take.

I've never lain awake at night thinking I spent too much on my nice warm sleeping bag but I have had some sleepless nights thinking I should have spent more.

How does the wool block the wind? Id obviously layer it, but thats really my main concern. Which model/brand coat do you own?

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
I only know River Junction by reputation, which is absolutely first rate.

www.americanworkear.us might discount Filson 10% to 20% if you email them and ask, they used to do that but Filson went to "minimum advertised pricing" which is kind of tough to get around. AW will also get anything that Filson sells, not just what's on their site, and they ship free.

I have a Filson double mackinaw cruiser and it has been through every kind of winter condition imaginable over the past six or seven years and is doing fine. From covered with sawdust and chain saw oil at zero degrees F to covered with ice and blood during a bison hunt to snow, rain, dog hair, mud, probably many things I thankfully have forgotten. I have filled the pockets with nails, tools, ammo and no tears or holes. I've stayed warm.

Negatives? It is a big wool sack. I think the one with the shearling collar would look better, mine is really plain, this isn't a coat that anyone is going to notice. It has no style. Of course, that means it's not going out of style, either.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I like the look of the grey...but the red and black would be really handy for being seen during hunting season...its not quite blaze orange, but I think it would do with an orange hat to top it off.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
JLStorm said:
I like the look of the grey...but the red and black would be really handy for being seen during hunting season...its not quite blaze orange, but I think it would do with an orange hat to top it off.

it's funny cause the buffalo plaid was once thought of as a form of camouflage, breaks up the outline and all.

I love my mack!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Vintage hunting jackets go begging at $30. Never seen a collar like this, but if you found a nice jacket from the 50s for $30, then paid for a collar to be put on, you would have a nice jacket for maybe $100.

Aer454

New in Town
I've yet to try a Filson piece of clothing before. Though I have some pretty extensive knowledge in keeping warm with more synthetic companies. Someone mentioned Canada Goose which is some nice stuff. I'd also suggest you check out Marmot, Ajungilak, and Western Mountaineering for some of their lineup. Having said that, from what I've read in this thread and many others over the past few days, and after browsing Filson's website a great deal... I think I'm going to be heading down to their headquarter shop this weekend to check some of their stuff out. Their Double Mackinaw Cruiser may vary well find it's way home with me.

And doing a lot of "Off-trail" hiking I'm going to look into their Tin Cloth stuff, looks pretty great. I saw this thread after doing a Filson's clothing search on google and just had to sign up with the site to respond. Thanks for the thread!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters