Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Funny, and agree on brick. What's odd, we had a not-fancy rental once that had a marble surround, all our other FPs have been brick as is the one in the apartment we now own.

I'm a pre-war architecture guy, which usually means, exposed beams, picture railing but not crown molding (there are plenty of exceptions though), so I'll go with no (but it really is a room-by-room call).

Drop ceiling to embedded lighting like "top hats" or just hand lighting down and keep ceiling height?

Edit add: when we bought our 1928 apartment, it had crown molding that had been added in somewhere along the line. With a little research, we discovered that, originally, there wasn't any crown molding. Hence, we took it all out (amidst some gasps from some), but the rooms look so much better now - they feel less fussy, more natural. But that was just our experience in this one apartment. With original exposed beams and picture railing, the rooms don't look austere.

High ceilings.

House with an attic or
a house with a basement?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Funny, and agree on brick. What's odd, we had a not-fancy rental once that had a marble surround, all our other FPs have been brick as is the one in the apartment we now own.

I'm a pre-war architecture guy, which usually means, exposed beams, picture railing but not crown molding (there are plenty of exceptions though), so I'll go with no (but it really is a room-by-room call).

Drop ceiling to embedded lighting like "top hats" or just hand lighting down and keep ceiling height?

Edit add: when we bought our 1928 apartment, it had crown molding that had been added in somewhere along the line. With a little research, we discovered that, originally, there wasn't any crown molding. Hence, we took it all out (amidst some gasps from some), but the rooms look so much better now - they feel less fussy, more natural. But that was just our experience in this one apartment. With original exposed beams and picture railing, the rooms don't look austere.

I'm at the eye doctor right now!
D65CDD6B-64B0-4111-BCEC-85C94B53C221.jpeg

6C9CEF24-7A32-4941-900E-C21F4D2CC7C9.jpeg

Inside the waiting room.
CD162DB2-1B5C-4C98-99E6-F48BB4B6B768.jpeg

I love all the wood.
Front brass "door bell"!
D2A60F58-0895-4061-9138-927CCECE7BA1.jpeg

House with attic or basement?

My grandmother's house had both,
(looked like Norman Bate's home) :D

Last edited:
@2jakes
First, absolutely! But I prefer the european way. Exactly like mine:
Tristar_ventilator_VE-5956.jpg

:D

Visiting next bigger city for shopping in department-store by your own car or take a regional rail- or bus-connection with a day-ticket or similar?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
@2jakes
First, absolutely! But I prefer the european way. Exactly like mine:
Tristar_ventilator_VE-5956.jpg

:D

Visiting next bigger city for shopping in department-store by your own car or take a regional rail- or bus-connection with a day-ticket or similar?

Visit the next city and driving my own car.
Actually the next nearest city is small with no parking meters down main street
and the stores still have wood floors. I drive my 1946 truck.

Shopping grocery list?

Or

No list, just wander from aisle to aisle and picking up what you need?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Fishing in the early dawn or dusk?
Dawn!

Fresh water or salt water fishing?
Salt water!

Neat trimmed yards with no weeds?

(Although my camera was aimed across towards the distance
and not much is evident of the trimmed grass on the yard) (Calif)
jkwu50.jpg

Or rough or wild with all kinds of shrubs?
RVKH1002.png

(Texas)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot