Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

LizzieMaine

Bartender
5219058059_5581d2f3c9_o.jpg

Charley O. the mule or Charley O. the Owner?

Finley was something of a jackass, but was also the finest individual judge of baseball talent of the postwar era. The A's dynasty of the '70s was assembled entirely by himself.

Last edited:

this one guy

Familiar Face
New Orleans. An interesting and controversial read is how purportedly the mob lost control to a different kind of mob on 3/14/1891.

pop corn or potato chips?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I wish I could get Verichrome -- works better in a Brownie. I have to use Tri-X for everything now.

8mm on a spool or 8mm in a magazine?

The Bolex only takes spools.

Spools.

As far as your Brownie is concerned, don't you find Tri-X to be a bit fast in bright sunlight, with a poor gray scale and more than a little bit too grainy?

I've found the Ilford Pan F Plus to be a fine substitute for Verichrome Pan. Extremely fine grain, broad gray scale, and with an arithmetic ISO of 50 it has a sensitivity similar to that of our long-lamented Verichrome, though it of course doe not have the broad range of that lovely lost emulsion.

Radiola RC or Radiola V?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Bolex only takes spools.

Spools.

As far as your Brownie is concerned, don't you find Tri-X to be a bit fast in bright sunlight, with a poor gray scale and more than a little bit too grainy?

I've found the Ilford Pan F Plus to be a fine substitute for Verichrome Pan. Extremely fine grain, broad gray scale, and with an arithmetic ISO of 50 it has a sensitivity similar to that of our long-lamented Verichrome, though it of course doe not have the broad range of that lovely lost emulsion.

Radiola RC or Radiola V?

I have exactly that issue with Tri-X -- I use Plus-X when I can get it, and that's a bit better, but it's still not optimal for a simple box camera. I get better results with my 1938-vintage Kodak 35,*where you have a bit more control over the exposure.

I've never used an RC or a V. My choice was a Crosley 51, which I had a lot of fun playing with until they stopped selling hot-spark batteries at the hardware store.

200-A or 201-A for a detector?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I have exactly that issue with Tri-X -- I use Plus-X when I can get it, and that's a bit better, but it's still not optimal for a simple box camera. I get better results with my 1938-vintage Kodak 35,*where you have a bit more control over the exposure.

I've never used an RC or a V. My choice was a Crosley 51, which I had a lot of fun playing with until they stopped selling hot-spark batteries at the hardware store.

200-A or 201-A for a detector?

200-A for DX in a Neutrodyne.

in a regenerative set, the one-amp UV-200 is wonderful if it is managed properly, with between fourteen and eighteen volts on theplate and a very sensitive filament rheostat.

Those little Crosleys are pretty good performers for their size, though those "book condensers" don't quite cover the broadcast band.

Have you ever operated a Trirdyn? They are amazingly good performers for three tubes. Rather good DX getters, too, although my favorite regenerative set is the Browning-Drake. A properly operated B-D "Regenaformer" set canreally give even a "super" a run for its money.

Six blade or four blade (fans)?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've never had the pleasure of a Trirdyn, but I have admired them from afar. My 51 was nothing to sneeze at though, running an 00A detector at 22 1/2 volts I was able to pick up WLW clear as a bell here. Although I suspect any Crosley that doesn't pick up WLW never got out of the factory.

Four blade. The ice in the bowl in front of the fan seems to last longer.

Mohawk or Whittall?

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Whittall

I have an Whittall Anglo-Persian "Bird of Paradise" rug in the library, and an Anglo-Persian "Pekin" in the dining room, besides which, I like Louis Katzman.

Thank heaven that our local departmant store, Jacobsons, really promoted the Anglo-Persian line. These excellent Wilton carpets are often found in this part of the country.

Aluminum or White Enamel?

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Gorton's! (Though I'm too stingy to buy anything that pricey. It's good stuff.)

Standard doors or suicide doors for the rear two on a sedan.

Probably wouldn't own a 4 dr,but I liked the look of the suicides on the 67-68 T-Bird,they did have a reason to be called suicide doors though.And I really like them on the old Rods ala California Kid ect

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy