Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thorogood Horsehide no. 685 boots from Epaulet

buler

I'll Lock Up
Just when I was really starting to like my Iron Rangers I ran across these mentioned in a blog. I had to try out a pair. They arrived today and they are great.

Made for Epaulet by Thorogood (http://www.weinbrennerusa.com) from Horween horsehide. The 685 boot is to me a great understated look. They turned out to be lighter than the Iron Rangers and fit me great. I take a 10.5 D in dress shoes (Allen Edmonds) and usually get a 10 in Red Wing boots. I went with Epaulet's advice and sized these according to my "normal" size and ordered a 10.5.

I'm no shoe expert but these appear to be very well made and the horsehide is great. I've included a picture of them next to my Aero Highwayman in brown horsehide. As a bonus they are made in Wisconsin!!

EpauletLink

B

thorgood_epaulet_1.jpg

thorgood_epaulet_2.jpg

thorgood_epaulet_3.jpg

thorgood_epaulet_4.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
In case you missed out on getting these during their first run, they're back! Epaulet did another run of the 685 in horsehide. I've had mine just over 1 year and they are my favorite footwear. I've had several pair of Red Wings and a pair of Iron Rangers. These Thorogood's are in another league. I'll add pics of mine after 1 year of wear when I get a chance.

For a classic style work boot done in Horween horsehide, these are such a steal at this price.

B

nissle

New in Town
just got notice mine will be delivered on monday. I took a gamble and went with clarks desert boot sizing, just curious, if Epaulet sizing recommendation worked out for you

Looking forward to more pics.

Thanks,
Nis

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
just got notice mine will be delivered on monday. I took a gamble and went with clarks desert boot sizing, just curious, if Epaulet sizing recommendation worked out for you.

Thanks,
Nis

Nis, I went with my true sizing. I'm a 10.5 D and thats what I ordered. Fit is perfect. You'll love them.

B

bl@ster

One of the Regulars
just got notice mine will be delivered on monday. I took a gamble and went with clarks desert boot sizing, just curious, if Epaulet sizing recommendation worked out for you.

Thanks,
Nis

For me, they fit the same as Clark's Desert Boots. They don't run TTS for me, but .5 size large. Your mileage may vary.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
I love Thorogoods! They used to sell boots very similar to those at the local hardware store for $40.00 in the 90's (leather was not nearly that nice though). They still have a few pair but sadly they are too small for me. That horsehide looks really good. My brother has a pair of Thorogoods and they have lasted several years of hard use.

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
Those are nice looking boots. Would you, please, post a recent picture, so we we can see how the way they age.

Ok, here are pics after 1 year. I have worn these a ton. My favorite footwear. This is as they were when I took them off tonight. Didn't wipe them off. Over the year I have wiped them off with a damp t-shirt and I've applied a thin layer of Pecards every 3 months or so. Haven't used shoe trees in them (my bad). Last 2 pics are with no flash.

B

thor2.jpg

thor5.jpg

thor6.jpg

thor7.jpg

Without Flash:
thor8.jpg

thor9.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

The only problem I have with these boots is that the leather apron is so narrow that it keeps sliding to one side or the other and refuses to stay on straight. Does anybody else notice this? Why don't they make a normal width tongue?

buler

I'll Lock Up
The only problem I have with these boots is that the leather apron is so narrow that it keeps sliding to one side or the other and refuses to stay on straight. Does anybody else notice this? Why don't they make a normal width tongue?

Joel, not sure what the apron is? But I've had no issue with the tongue staying straight on mine.

B

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Buler--thanks for posting the photos showing the wear! Looks like they took it pretty well. Do you wear them in the outdoors? Or more in a town environment?

buler

I'll Lock Up
Buler--thanks for posting the photos showing the wear! Looks like they took it pretty well. Do you wear them in the outdoors? Or more in a town environment?

I wear them for most anything. Although the sole would be too slippery for hiking thru the woods. The horsehide would take a lot of abuse.

B

D

Deleted member 16736

Joel, not sure what the apron is? But I've had no issue with the tongue staying straight on mine.

B

The apron is the same thing as the tongue. Mine is so narrow it barely covers the top of my foot. Did I get a defective one or something? How in the world do it keep it from sliding all over the place? Do you not lace it all the way to the top, but wrap it around your ankle? That's the only way I can think maybe it'll work.

buler

I'll Lock Up
The apron is the same thing as the tongue. Mine is so narrow it barely covers the top of my foot. Did I get a defective one or something? How in the world do it keep it from sliding all over the place? Do you not lace it all the way to the top, but wrap it around your ankle? That's the only way I can think maybe it'll work.

Joel, the width of mine is fine. Seems like a normal size. It could use an extra half inch in height. I lace mine up to the top. The top of the tongue comes to just under the last set of lace holes. But it stays put and doesn't slide at all.

B

D

Deleted member 16736

I ordered mine on Sunday. Do you have the problem of the tongue sliding off the top of your foot? I had to re-order a new pair because I ruined the old pair applying bees wax. Don't apply straight bees wax!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis