Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Those hats we were making fun of...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I don't remember the name of the thread and who started it but I'm sure that, once you see the picture, you'll know inmediately what I'm talking about.It wasn't that long ago either.
I think a fellow lounger saw this ugly hats at a wal-mart or similar store advertised as fedoras. I honestly didn't think I will ever see one of these things on the street, least of all, on someone's head. I felt a little dizzy*yucky* :eek: and had to go outside to get a breath of fresh air (just kidding;) ) How can one call that a fedora! The location is the museum of modern art bookstore.

IMG_01351.jpg

IMG_01331.jpg

Dewhurst

Practically Family
More jumping on "definitions" of fedora? Sheesh. It never ends. It's almost, but not quite, as bad as the "real" hat people.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Dewhurst said:
More jumping on "definitions" of fedora? Sheesh. It never ends. It's almost, but not quite, as bad as the "real" hat people.
Maybe not defining fedoras, as defining good taste in fedoras. Sheesh.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
I think it's hilarious that you're sneaking behind him taking his picture to show us here. lol :eusa_clap

I couldn't help it Gene! :p It reminded me of that other thread with the walgreens hats. speaking of definitions, and to use a poor analogy, would you define a smart car as a classic? same thing with hats, I thing. That ugly thing is a hat sure, but not a fedora IMHO, sheeesh!

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I have one. BUUUUUUUT it's not plaid, it's a sensible black with small pin stripes.

first hat, and easier to wear, trash, and ease into the whole 'hat thing'

however, I would never wear one of THOSE.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:
I think it's hilarious that you're sneaking behind him taking his picture to show us here. lol :eusa_clap

I thought that was funny too. However, I guess in these days where everyone has a cell phone, and a lot of people have theirs out and about at any given time, it's not that strange.

I guess there's a market for everything....including those hats...[huh]

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
lol
Still, that hat does have a definite purpose. The guy could enjoy long walks in areas that have hunting season, and must differentiate himself from prey for the myopic hunters. ;)
Or it could be a guy who does a lot of walking period. The blaze orange helps cars to spot him as he's traipsing around the city, like the vests worn by construction workers. So it keeps the rain and the cars off of him. :p

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Blackthorn said:
Maybe not defining fedoras, as defining good taste in fedoras. Sheesh.

Defining "good taste"? Isn't that like proving a book is "good"? What objective criteria would you use?

Aesthetic values are so wildly different.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Dewhurst said:
Defining "good taste"? Isn't that like proving a book is "good"? What objective criteria would you use?

Poetry, I think, Mr. Dewhurst has been the objective method for measuring aesthetic values for the last few thousand years or so. Since I've been living I have, however, noticed that the Psychologists and other behavioral scientists are giving the poets a run for their money.

What bothers me most about these funky plaid lids is that I would look good in one. I'm tempted to march down to Walmart and pick one up to prove it. If I'm lucky I'll find a matching zebra striped shirt to match - on sale, of course.

:p :p :p

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Dewhurst said:

For me, in this case, it's not about judging aesthetics. If the guy likes it, good for him. What bothers me is the fact that they market this hats as fedoras when they are not. [huh]

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
For me, in this case, it's not about judging aesthetics. If the guy likes it, good for him. What bothers me is the fact that they market this hats as fedoras when they are not. [huh]
You have said it far better than I could have, Aureliano. My sentiments exactly. I have no problem with anyone wearing anything they want. I'm a libertarian. Just don't call it what it isn't.

Feraud

Bartender
Aureliano said:
And how exactly is this not a fedora?

Is it the material?
The pattern?
The brim length, color?
How exactly did you observe the marketing of this hat at the museum bookshop?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW