Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Those hats we were making fun of...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Ok. This is going from something that was meant to be funny and make all of use get a good crack into a philosophical/semantical/economics debate.
My lasts words on the subject:

Q- Is it the material?
A- FOR ME, yes it is. A fedora has been defined and known for being manufactured using felt. Fur or other.
Q- The pattern?
A- Being faithfull to the previous answer, FOR ME, yes, the pattern of the fellow's hat disqualifies it. The only patterns I've ever seen on a felt hat have been on brims and done with fine stitching.
Q-Brim lenght, color.
A-Felt Stingy brims were big sellers back in the day. Don't recall ever seeing a flourescent orange, but again, FOR ME, if you find a felt one in a flourescent tone with a small brim, call it fedora.
Q- How exactly did you observe the marketing of this hat at the museum bookshop?
A- There was no marketing at the museum shop. A fellow lounger posted another thread with this hats piled up and a sign reading fedora. The museum shop (and I happen to work for this museum as well) would never market something like that as a fedora. They are selling a hat, designed by Ron Aarad (who's having a show currently) that was made by Alesi and Borsalino of Italy (the very first one, now they are made somewhere else) the hat is called "cappellone" and although you could shape it as a fedora (the thing is hideous BTW) they aren't advertising it as such.

am I a little mad? yes just a little:rage::p All I wanted is for all of us to get a kick out of this. Maybe I'm being too reactionary.:D

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hope this helps ;)

PuttaFire.JPG

Erik

One of the Regulars
Celebrate it, hat enthusiasts! There will hopefully be time to steer them in a better direction in the future.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Some "unorthodox" modern hats I've seen are actually quite tasteful, albeit a bit too unorthodox for my tastes. I've seen several in glen plaid, for example, in classic shades of brown and gray that, while definitely not Golden Era, are rather elegant in their own right and a sophisticated alternative for younger, more modern-minded consumers who nonetheless want to add a degree of class to their outfit.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
CRH said:
What bothers me most about these funky plaid lids is that I would look good in one. I'm tempted to march down to Walmart and pick one up to prove it.

lol I'll meet you there! I wear a lot of flat caps with many different patterns and combinations of colors and I'm pretty sure these hats would look just fine on me given my current wardrobe.

blackthorn said:
I have no problem with anyone wearing anything they want. I'm a libertarian. Just don't call it what it isn't.

True, if it was mislabeled with malice I can understand your self-imposed plight. If it takes an education to name it correctly I can hardly blame people for doing it wrong.

However, I am open to the idea that the definition of "fedora" is somewhat fluid. Most of the "fedoras" that men wear today are not exactly the "fedoras" that women were wearing before they were co-opted by the male sex.

How far back should we push the definition of "fedora"?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Anyone who saw my original post, and Aureliano's first post here, can see that it was all in humor. Obviously I didn't think it was "the face of evil" nor did I actually have to "go cleanse my soul" after posting it. For this to be taken as seriously as this is so...so very sad. Are we so starved for significant conversation that we have to turn this into a philosophical debate? Dewhurst, on the other hat board, did you take the mod's tongue in cheek slogan of "let's all make fun of hatless people" as being cruel, and did you take him to task over some perceived insensitivity? Learn to smile, dude. You too, Feraud.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
those hats are nothing compared to what I saw today...a "bowler" that was a flimsy cloth/felt/something that had more of a fedora shape and someone had tried to bash,I had no idea what it was until I looked at the tag...now THAT was sad!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Caity Lynn said:
those hats are nothing compared to what I saw today...a "bowler" that was a flimsy cloth/felt/something that had more of a fedora shape and someone had tried to bash,I had no idea what it was until I looked at the tag...now THAT was sad!
:) :) :)

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Blackthorn said:
Anyone who saw my original post, and Aureliano's first post here, can see that it was all in humor. Obviously I didn't think it was "the face of evil" nor did I actually have to "go cleanse my soul" after posting it. For this to be taken as seriously as this is so...so very sad. Are we so starved for significant conversation that we have to turn this into a philosophical debate? Dewhurst, on the other hat board, did you take the mod's tongue in cheek slogan of "let's all make fun of hatless people" as being cruel, and did you take him to task over some perceived insensitivity? Learn to smile, dude. You too, Feraud.

Blackthorn, the mistake you made in the first place was, not buying one for everybody! ;) :D

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
ScionPI2005 said:
I wonder what color those hats are...? On first inspection, I would take a guess that they're more tasteful than the modern, Halloween versions brought up in this thread.

Any pics of one of these plad fedoras?

The only one I've seen is in, and on the cover of, this book.
529c729fd7a03e7839300110.L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Blackthorn said:

I am well aware that it was an attempt at humor. Doesn't mean we can't take the discussion elsewhere if it permits. Oh, and be assured, this post of yours has me smiling.:D

You have now killed my genuine curiosity concerning where and why people define a "fedora" as a certain set of characteristics rather than another set of potentially just as valid characteristics. :eusa_clap

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Dewhurst said:
I am well aware that it was an attempt at humor. Doesn't mean we can't take the discussion elsewhere if it permits. Oh, and be assured, this post of yours has me smiling.:D
Good, thank you, Dewhurst. ;)

You have now killed my genuine curiosity concerning where and why people define a "fedora" as a certain set of characteristics rather than another set of potentially just as valid characteristics. :eusa_clap
If only there were a smiley that takes a bow. :D But with your ever inquiring intellect, I'm sure you'll find an outlet for your curiousity. For that matter, just start a thread and I'm sure you'll find many who wish to discuss it. I might even chime in and tease someone. :p

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Maj.Nick Danger said:
...this hat is all the rage,..get onboard now if you want to ride the fashion wave. ;) http://www.borsalino.com/ Follow the links,..

Select: English, then,..
Collections
Men's
# 2
lol lol Who knew Walgreen's was so fahionable? Well, I stand corrected (again...this is happening a lot lately). I am SO unfashionable. If only there were a smiley for humility. This is the best I can do---- [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW