Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Tack Rules

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I just can't bring myself to poke gigantic holes in the fabric of my beautiful ties! :eek:
I like a nice clip. :)
(But where Mr. Deckard said is fine.)
I agree. I think using one would be downright painful. I am thinking at the moment about buying a cool vintage tie bar with my first initial on it--but I don't know if I could bring myself to wear it, as it would just cover up my beautiful ties! It only very rarely bothers me that my tie is flapping around loose. Let it fly, I say. If outdoors, with wind, the times most likely you'd want something to anchor your tie, you'd probably have your jacket buttoned--built-in tie tack right there. For what it's worth, my dwindling 1/2 cent.

griffer

Practically Family
This is the second time I have heard this fear of 'poking holes in ties' with tie tacks.

I used to wear them, I just fell out with the look, but I never ruined a tie with my tacks.

You CAREFULLY work the tack in between the weave of the material on the front of the tie, then push though the rest of the way.

No permanent hole should be made.

And yes visible above with the suit closed, so above the vest gorge in the case of a 3-piece.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
griffer said:
This is the second time I have heard this fear of 'poking holes in ties' with tie tacks.

I used to wear them, I just fell out with the look, but I never ruined a tie with my tacks.

You CAREFULLY work the tack in between the weave of the material on the front of the tie, then push though the rest of the way.

No permanent hole should be made.

And yes visible above with the suit closed, so above the vest gorge in the case of a 3-piece.
I honestly don't see what you mean. I don't have a single knit tie; all are silk, acetate, rayon, etc. Fine, woven material with no spaces in between which to carefully work a tack. I'd be blasting a hole or getting nowhere...

griffer

Practically Family
Patience is the key.

You can find space in the weave- any weave has 'holes' in it.

Punching a hole implies you break a thread in the weave, instead of going between it. Sewing does the same thing, the needle passes through the weave, it doesn't sever the fibers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy