Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tiki Parties

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Well I've decided to throw a Tiki Party in all its glory, and I thought we might like to discuss the finer points of Tiki on this thread. Plus it might give me some ideas. If anyone has some pictures to share that would be great as well.

Oh, our party is going to be in Juneau Alaska, a bit ironic, it will have the appropriate decorations, and even a giant Tiki statue that lights up and talks (if anyone has experience designing this sort of thing, I would love to hear from you for tips)

Discuss!

Katzenjammer

Familiar Face
Music sets the mood! My first suggestion would be for an appropriate soundtrack: Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman, Les Baxter, and maybe Yma Sumac if you want to shake up your guests a bit. If you don't have the records, check out an internet radio station like Pandora...there's a lot of that stuff floating around in the ether.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I'm actually thinking of doing dynamic lighting to create the mood mostly.
We're hoping to have the party at a ballroom to increase the amount of people, and I'm trying to work with some charities so we can donate... its all up in the air, and I'm waiting to see what will come down.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Oh geez, there's a guy down in San Diego and he's got all the great tiki culture. I forgot the name of the place, but he's got a website. Let me look through some old business cards.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Mr Vim said:
Well I've decided to throw a Tiki Party in all its glory, and I thought we might like to discuss the finer points of Tiki on this thread. Plus it might give me some ideas. If anyone has some pictures to share that would be great as well.

Oh, our party is going to be in Juneau Alaska, a bit ironic, it will have the appropriate decorations, and even a giant Tiki statue that lights up and talks (if anyone has experience designing this sort of thing, I would love to hear from you for tips)

Discuss!

Great idea! I had a great collection of tiki before I was married. Alas, I am now in possession of only one idol cocktail glass.

Please keep us up to date regarding what decorations you've found, what you're planning, etc.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Well, my grand designs are already meeting the barriers of the unimaginative mind.

My hope was to hold a party at a local ballroom and drum up money for charity and to also save the local salsa dancing group by giving them a venue to dance the night away.

But everyone I talk to ask me "why Tiki?"
And I say why not! Because its awesome, because its the right style for salsa (one of many), because nothing else comes close to being as fun.

And people just look at me blankly. I can't stand it.

I would suggest taking a look at Konakai.com. It is a very extensive site covering all things tiki with links to music, decor, food/recipes, history, clothing, and more. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner