Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time Warp Wives

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I was one of those who made a comment in the original thread about how disappointing I found the women in the programme - I believe there was one comment about one of them not even knowing who the Prime Minister of England was which just utterly shocked me. However, it turned out, of course, that she'd never said any such thing - Joanne got in touch with me to tell me how badly she'd been misrepresented, and I chatted to hr for a while on Myspace. I apologised to her profusely of course, for believing a single word the Daily Heil said, and publicly ate my words on the thread!

It still makes me very sad that they edited her to be the '50s' one, thus cutting out all her WWII/40s singing stuff. She really deserved more.

Still, it made for a very eye-candy heavy programme - Joanne (and the others) has one of the most envy inducing wardobe I've ever seen, too.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Knowing what we do now about how this program was manipulated, I'd be curious to see how many of us here would be willing to do what these women did and open our own lives and homes for such a documentary? Having had my own experiences on both sides of the microphone, I'd think I'd want to insist on having the right of final review on the final product -- and I'd insist on that in writing. Understanding how this sort of stuff happens after the fact is the first step toward getting control of how our image is presented.

Better yet, I'd really like to see a documentary done by someone reasonably sympathetic to the vintage way of life, rather than someone out to turn it into a smirking "expose." So far that hasn't happened, at least not that I've seen.

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
Thinking about this, my partner and I do 15th century re-enactment and about 3 years ago there was a researcher from 'Wife Swap' going around asking for re-enacting couples who were interested in doing a programme. She seemed very shocked when it was explained to her that we all hold down regular jobs and enjoy indoor plumbing! They seemed to be completely under the impression that we were all crackpots who had transformed our suburban semis into thatched hovels and called each other 'my lord'.

Not that I am advocating this sort of behaviour in any way but I think that perhaps the misrepresentation occurred because television wants to instil a reaction in the audience, be it one of interest, shock or revulsion and so 'freak show' television is created, whether it be showing 'normal' people living the lives of a family of medieval crackpots or whether it is craftily editing a piece of filming so that it shows people apparently shunning modern culture and isolating themselves from the world in a 1950s bubble. A documentary about a perfectly nice and sensible, rather glamourous lady who held down three jobs whilst launching a singing career and embracing a vintage lifestyle wouldn't have got the viewing figures or interest that the documentary about people who apparently totally shun modern society got. However, just because I think that I can see a reason why the tv company put that slant on it doesn't mean I approve!

yummykiwi

New in Town
LizzieMaine said:
Better yet, I'd really like to see a documentary done by someone reasonably sympathetic to the vintage way of life, rather than someone out to turn it into a smirking "expose."

That would be great!

I HAVE seen the program - and I adored it. The ladies all look so lovely and I DO admire their dedication.
Some people need to realize that anything on film can be edited and manipulated so that it portrays you differently.
Watch it if you get the opportunity :)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Pardon yet another bifurcated interloper, but what do you think of the implication that a vintage lifestyle is something essentially female?

Would focusing on the couples as couples, who are into something together, conflict with the message the media are building? And what is that message, and what's shaping that message?

And I mean beyond the intent to be eye-grabbing and freaky. What assumptions are the TV folk working under that they don't know about?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
Pardon yet another bifurcated interloper, but what do you think of the implication that a vintage lifestyle is something essentially female?

Would focusing on the couples as couples, who are into something together, conflict with the message the media are building? And what is that message, and what's shaping that message?

The way I see it: It would, because people would be suspicious of the men. My mum and her good friend watched the program, and when Joanne's hubby was introduced, she said: "I guess we know why he likes having a vintage wife!"

The message seems to be that ladies should be doing everything their husband is doing, and more. Really though, if Time Warp Women are upholding certain duties, are Time Warp Men not? If the woman is not doing everything - doesn't that mean the husband must be doing his share?

I believe the producers are working under the assumption we suspect they are: That the vintage wife is subservient to her vintage husband, and she likes it that way!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
C-dot said:
The way I see it: It would, because people would be suspicious of the men.
Why, do you think? What messages would the audience bring?

The message seems to be that ladies should be doing everything their husband is doing, and more. Really though, if Time Warp Women are upholding certain duties, are Time Warp Men not? If the woman is not doing everything - doesn't that mean the husband must be doing his share, as a vintage husband?
Not sure about this - maybe I need to watch the show.

I guess I'm not focused enough on who's doing their share, and too stuck on what roles are being acted out. I envision a kind of Muslim scenario at Kevin and Joanne's, where she is always in her prescribed attire while he, the breadwinner who wears modern clothes to work, also does so at home weeknights as an expression of, I don't know, masculine privilege or not being a sissy or something. Of course, if he changes right into a cardie, campshirt and daks, I retract my statement.

Also, how modern do a man's clothes have to be for work? A few of us are good at cheating on the styles to keep our tastes under the radar. Then again, we're playing a not-very-masculine game in doing so.

If it's all about subservience, it's not vintage lifestyle, it's power exchange lifestyle, which I'd rather not discuss on this forum.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Kevin Massey does wear modern clothes to work, Joanne says, because his job requires it, but on weekends and free time he dresses in suits, shirts and trousers, and often wears a trilby. :) I remember that because it made me smile so - and because he had a shirt with Dachshunds on it.
(You really should watch the program, Fletch! You're one of those people who speak so eloquently and intelligently, I could probably listen to you for hours.)

I loved how the hubbies in the show dressed! If only I could get my fiancé to wear something other than a T-shirt and jeans when hes out of uniform...

Elaina

One Too Many
Fletch, in my experience most of the people I know are mostly women. Even in rockabilly, outside of mainstream areas, it is really hard to find a guy into it. Not, as this forum shows, impossible or even all that uncommon.

Lizzie, I think it takes a certain type of person to let cameras come in and experience your life. "Reality" programming has been around long enough most of us would know what we were getting into. That said, you have to have a bunch of qualities I don't have to do it, even for a serious documentary.

Bettie Booh

Familiar Face
miserabelle said:
I just managed to see this the other day - it's on 4od now! http://www.channel4.com/4od - just search for time warp wives and you'll find it :)

Not sure if you'll be able to watch this outside of the uk though x

I searched, but didnt find it. either its gone or its come country restriction thing. Anyon know where I could find it?

Bettie Booh

Familiar Face
December said:
I found it on there this morning, but I am in the UK.

Does this work?

No, this doesnt work either, its says it isnt avail in my area >.< Crappy.Stupid Sweden. I really enjoyed the articles about them...

:eek:fftopic: but still kinda on-topic, anyone knows where to find the show "1940's House"? If anyone seen it. Remember it was on a year or so ago, and i've been trying to find it ever since. Kinda reminds me of this show, a "normal" family moved into a 40's house where they lived as under WWII.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Still appalls me that the documentary makers took such lovely people as Jo, Debbie and Diane, who I see most weekends here in the WW2 scene in the UK and bullied them, harangued them and basically tried to make what is a lovely way of life into something heinous.

I watched Jo (Lola) perform at the weekend, the crowd love her-she sang her heart out and joked and danced and basically, made everyone have a great night.

If living the way I do makes me 'weird' so be it!!:p

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Bettie Booh said:
No, this doesnt work either, its says it isnt avail in my area >.< Crappy.Stupid Sweden. I really enjoyed the articles about them...

:eek:fftopic: but still kinda on-topic, anyone knows where to find the show "1940's House"? If anyone seen it. Remember it was on a year or so ago, and i've been trying to find it ever since. Kinda reminds me of this show, a "normal" family moved into a 40's house where they lived as under WWII.

When you get PM privileges, send me one - I can give you the torrent for both shows. :)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Kitty_Sheridan said:
Still appalls me that the documentary makers took such lovely people as Jo, Debbie and Diane, who I see most weekends here in the WW2 scene in the UK and bullied them, harangued them and basically tried to make what is a lovely way of life into something heinous.
shakeshead

That. Is a crying shame.

Basically it says, "We, the mainstream culture industry, have zero use for you except as an occasional freak show, which we reserve the right to pass judgment on and not own up to it."

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
Basically it says, "We, the mainstream culture industry, have zero use for you except as an occasional freak show, which we reserve the right to pass judgment on and not own up to it."

Don't you know that people who deviate from the mainstream are public property? :eusa_doh:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Knowing what we do now about how this program was manipulated, I'd be curious to see how many of us here would be willing to do what these women did and open our own lives and homes for such a documentary? Having had my own experiences on both sides of the microphone, I'd think I'd want to insist on having the right of final review on the final product -- and I'd insist on that in writing. Understanding how this sort of stuff happens after the fact is the first step toward getting control of how our image is presented.

Not me--not that anyone would want to do a news story on my house or lifestyle.

If you get an agreement in writing and you're still made out to be the freak of the week, I don't see that you'd have any good recourse.

Emily Post advised her readers to keep their private lives private. I think that's not bad advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner