Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TONS of 1930s Fashion Photos

Wild Root

Gone Home
Great thread Marc! Great photos and all! Love it!!! I've seen that book before, I think a friend of mine has it... swell book!

Let's see if she's still alive! Let's meet her!!! Oh Josh Curtis, any idea where we can find her?

=WR=

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Thank you Marc, for posting those pics and letting us know about the book! The 30's is my favorite period!!:D Hopefully MK will post the 40's pics of her. My favorite was the lace blouse and the black coat with the white fur collar!!

Wild Root

Gone Home
KAT said:
shes sleeping under his bed

Hahahah! Yeah, then when some one's over he says:

Not only do I have Eva Braun‘s compact but, check this out... I've got, get this, now, there's only one of these around... the real Marsha Hunt... Ooooh Yeeaaah Baby!!!lol lol lol

=WR=

KAT

A-List Customer
:D :D
Wild Root said:
Hahahah! Yeah, then when some one's over he says:

Not only do I have Eva Braun‘s compact but, check this out... I've got, get this, now, there's only one of these around... the real Marsha Hunt... Ooooh Yeeaaah Baby!!!lol lol lol

=WR=

Caledonia

Practically Family
Hi. I have this book too. The 40s pics are amazing and I'll try and find a decent way of scanning some. Having seen the thread, I checked Amazon. I don't know how Amazon works internationally but there were at least 3 copies available on the UK site yesterday. Unfortunately expensive (estimate about $200), but if you want to make an investment this really is an amazing fashion and history resource.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Miss Hunt is still alive and well. She'll be the special guest of honor Friday 1/26 @ the Castro Theater in SF at a reception to kick off Noir City 5, the Film Noir Foundation's annual film fest. After the reception 2 of MH's films will be screened (Raw Deal, Kid Glove Killer) with an interview on stage in between! If there is any contact information for her, I'll pick it up and post here. Sorry I didn't spot this thread sooner. Tix may still be available for the films - I think the reception is sold out tho. http://www.noircity.com/noircity.html

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Caledonia said:
Hi. I have this book too. The 40s pics are amazing and I'll try and find a decent way of scanning some. Having seen the thread, I checked Amazon. I don't know how Amazon works internationally but there were at least 3 copies available on the UK site yesterday. Unfortunately expensive (estimate about $200), but if you want to make an investment this really is an amazing fashion and history resource.

It really is an amazing book. I got mine very recently. The Drama Bookstore in New York has it in stock for the cover price ... $35? $50? I forget, but nothing more than I would expect to pay for a glossy art book.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone, Marsha Hunt's mailing address is:
P.O. Box 5103 Sherman Oaks
CA, 91413-5103

She uses this address for taking orders for The Way We Wore - but I imagine other correspondence would get to her as well. I was lucky to meet Miss Hunt the other night and she kindly signed my copy. I told her that for many of us who love vintage fashion from that era, her book has become a sort of bible. She agreed, and mentioned that when it was first published, she had no idea whether there would be a market for it, and was pleased to discover that there was/is.

She was elegant in a cream beaded suit, silver hair and beautiful skin (she *must* be a lifelong cold cream devotee!:) ), and is a very gracious lady - still interested in politics and fashion. Between films she spoke about being blacklisted and how her sudden lack of a career allowed her to spend time on volunteer activities, such as her work with the U.N.

Ordering the book directly is a bit pricey ($55.50 w/ shipping + $4.12 sales tax for CA residents; optional ins. for $1.35) but you can ask her to sign it. Checks or M.O.s ok (payable to M.H.) also credit cards (need the usual info - signature, card #, exp. date). The order blank doesn't say whether she takes international orders. The text by Miss Hunt (part fashion history, part social history) is so informative, and the 40s pix are terrific, too. You'll love them.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Bump! For the newer Lounge ladies who might not have seen this thread the first time.

P.S.: I will be interviewing Ms. Hunt soon for an article I'm writing. Guess which classic, stylish magazine I'll be pitching it to?

Are there any specific questions you'd like me to ask her? Please let me know in this thread.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
It's against the Lounge's Terms Of Service to accurately state how this thread has made me feel!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Thank goodness for University libraries! It's on its way to me! Once I have a chance to pass through the text and research it, I'll see if I can add any questions! :D Thanks, MC!

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
*Drooling in an unladylike fashion*

Those pics are absolutely stunning-- and I'd kill for some of those outfits!
What a sense of fashion!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters