Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TONS of 1930s Fashion Photos

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The many photos below are all of one person. Her name was Marsha Hunt.

Marsha Hunt arrived in Hollywood as a teenager, back in 1934. She immediately found work in movies, while earning extra money as a fashion model. Marsha ended up making dozens of films, working alongside the industry’s biggest stars. At the same time, she continued modeling clothing, hats and hairstyles. In the early ‘50s, Marsha protested against the Hollywood “blacklist”; by doing so, she effectively ended her movie career. Not a quitter, she went on to work in radio and even on Broadway.

The following photos were taken between 1935 and 1939. They show Marsha Hunt in day wear, evening wear, coats, furs, and hats, and applying makeup. Some 1930s hairstyles are shown as well. Enjoy!

IMG_3038_edited-1.jpg

IMG_3042_edited-1.jpg

IMG_3043_edited-1.jpg

IMG_3040_edited-1.jpg

IMG_3044_edited-1.jpg

IMG_3041_edited-1.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
It really is a great book, MK. Lucky you to have a copy! I had to go to my school's library to find it (and take photos).

The book that MK is referring to is called "The Way We Wore", written by Marsha Hunt herself and published by Fullbrook in 1993. In it, Marsha recounts in wonderful detail how fashion photography "worked" in the 1930s and '40s. She describes the shoes and hats, and how one applied makeup and styled one's hair. Marsha even defends her wearing of furs in Southern California! lol Lots of personal anecdotes, too. A great read by all accounts. And as for the photos ... well, you're looking at (most of) 'em.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Marsha came from a very conservative family and was herself apolitical; but when she saw what was being done by Hollywood's studio moguls (and the bankers behind them) to the industry's own people -- from the directors and actors down to the technicians, hairdressers, and set carpenters -- Marsha and her husband joined a group called "Hollywood Fights Back!" and went with them to Washington (on an airplane loaned to the group by Howard Hughes).

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
Oh, gosh, I've loved her ever since I caught a cute little 40's comedy with her on television a few months ago! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff