Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toppers Unite

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I searched (briefly) for tophat threads and found only 4 title threads with not much info. So, can we start a tophat thread that will match the larger threads (homburg nation, etc)

I'll start:

Here's a nice old Bell Curve that I've had for just over a year;

Carrying Case:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Looks like you've got yourself quite a nice one, Garrett!

I've toyed with the idea of trying to obtain one, but my experience has been that the ones that come up tend to be on the smaller side and if they're in decent shape at all tend to get rather pricey. :( As they're not something that can be worn on a regular basis (well, at least something that I wouldn't be able to bring myself to wear on a regular basis) I've not pressed the issue.

I could be wrong, but I think I may not be alone in feeling this way. I do, however, look forward to seeing the top hats other members may own!

Cheers,
Tom

Garrett

You'll find one at some point, TY. So far, no posts from the others with their toppers so I'll show some photos of my only other:

The Elizans

Familiar Face
Lincoln Bennett 'Standard' Quality Topper cerca early 30's

Hello,

I actually love toppers! I wouldn't wear one in the day; a bowler creates enough commotion when I wear one, but a couple of times a year at university events where one can courageously step out in white tie, the topper is just the perfect titfer! This one belonged to G.H.L (George Herbert Leek) from whom I own three hats. This topper is an exquisite ‘Standard Quality’ silk model from renowned English maker, Lincoln Bennett. It makes me wonder what their top of the range topper must have been like- WOW! (N.B:I have the box too, although very tatty.)

T.E.

lincolnb_topper.jpg

topper_inner.jpg

The Elizans

Familiar Face
Dunn & Co Opera Hat c.1930's

Before this thread goes too far, I thought I'd introduce the opera hat for those who are new to the world of top hats. The Opera or 'Gibus' as it is sometimes referred is an ingenious collapsing top hat held erect by a wire frame and springs. In can be squashed flat, ideal in busy opera house/theatre cloak rooms or conveniently placed under a seat during a performance. Pushing the centre of the hat from the inside instantly makes that hat re-form with a delightful pop!

opera_triptic.jpg

metropd

One Too Many
Garrett, That top hat is in my opinion the nicest hat I have EVER seen on the fedoralounge!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap:eusa_clap :eusa_clap:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Anders

One of the Regulars
Don't believe my avatar, top hats are right on the edge of my social comfort zone. I'm fine in a fedora, and usually in a bowler or homburg, but I just don't think I could pull off a topper outside a very special event. With this in mind I've eyed them curiously, but never seriously.

Metropd, I like your example. Show us more photos of top hats in practical wear!

Anders

LordBest

Practically Family
Zehme Top Hat/Zylinder c1900

Here is mine, manufactured by Johann Zehme around 1900, the Royal hatters to the Kings of Bavaria, still in existence today (thanks Dreispitz). I have been in contact with Zehme and they have confirmed the date as 'around 1900' though they can not be more specific unfortunately. It has a gorgeous look and feel to it. 7 1/4 by the American standard.
TopHat1.jpg

TopHat2.jpg

TopHat3.jpg

topperchap.jpg

metropd

One Too Many
Anders said:
Don't believe my avatar, top hats are right on the edge of my social comfort zone. I'm fine in a fedora, and usually in a bowler or homburg, but I just don't think I could pull off a topper outside a very special event. With this in mind I've eyed them curiously, but never seriously.

Metropd, I like your example. Show us more photos of top hats in practical wear!

Anders

I wear mine quite often. here are some pics of me wearing it. I feel very confident when I wear my top hat. That's why I never have any problems on the street. It does however draw a lot of attention here in San Diego. Hopefully in London it would be easier to fit in with crowd. I was actually on a date where I purposely dressed down and my date asked If I wanted to got out to eat and to please wear my top hat. The top hat bestows that inward tranquility that Emerson spoke of. Then again at times I can be a bit of a dandy.;)

dianneo2DSC_4476.jpg

nicholasintophat5-3-1.jpg

nick200031.jpg

nick200021.jpg

AEH

One of the Regulars
My top hat

This top hat is much too small for me to wear, but it looks nice on my hat rack, and it is also a piece of local hat history.
Made by Christys' of London for our last local hat shop, which closed sometime in the 1990's.
Must have been made before 1930, when the city name was changed to Trondheim, but it looks older to me.

tophat_1.jpg

tophat_2.jpg

Not shure of the material, but I suppose it is silk plush. (In Norwegian a top hat is called "flosshatt", which translate to "plush hat")

the_imperialist

One of the Regulars
Garret I applaud you for starting this thread, for me nothing quite beats a topper :eusa_clap

Here's my contribution, its a German hat from a Stuttgart hat-maker, much more modern than all your fine examples I'm guess-timating late 30's or 40's?
Dont really have a good photo of the hat, but here's it in action:

egotastic_copy.jpg

Dont have a lovely companion as Metropd has though...sigh.

regards,
the imperialist

edit: concerning hat-containers for toppers, I've noticed that continentals appears to prefer paper ones whilst american and british have sturdier leather cases, does anyone seem to spot this, or is it a time-period thing?

Garrett

metropd said:
Garrett, That top hat is in my opinion the nicest hat I have EVER seen on the fedoralounge!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap:eusa_clap :eusa_clap:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks!

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I find that with toppers or any other "stiff" hat, I need to size up a bit. I finally found a very nice one in a size that fits and at a price that I could afford.

It is marked "Hughes & Stewart Hatters" which was located at 10th and Pine Street in St. Louis. I especially like the Mason's emblem which is visible in the liner.

I believe the topper is made of silk plush and with the exception of a tiny bald spot on the crown and two small nips in the underside of the silk brim, the hat is pristine.

Sadly, not too many opportunities to wear it! :(

topper_front.jpg

topper_profile.jpg

topper_top.jpg

sweatband_logo.jpg

liner_logo.jpg

Sormani_Resized.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner