Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tracking the history of hat models

billyspew

One Too Many
I don't know if anyone has already used this/posted this but it is very useful in tracking the timeline of certain hat models.

Google News Archive Search has many newspapers worth of articles and ads indexed within it, and shows mentions over a timeline.
For instance a search of Stetson Whippet shows us that the first mention is Spetember 1940 and the last seems to be December 1960.

While not wholly comprehehnsive it does help to track prices as well, for instance in the 1940's it's $10 by September 1956 it is still $10, but by September 1958 it is $10.95.

Although a lot of the end-articles are pay per view or subscription only, it does give a nice overview, and I'm sure as they add content to the archive it can only get better.

Hope this is interesting for the other anoraks out there.

Bill

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've used Google, but it's somewhat limited. Newspaperarchive has much more, but requires a paid subscription. You might be able to access it for free through your local library as I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21