Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traditional Tap Pants?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ztgBVTnecMI"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ztgBVTnecMI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Check out this song. It's really funny.

Ok, that's not working for me. How the heck do I embed these things anyways?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Thank you, Collency! Yes, I was trying to embed the whole video. I've seen a few people do it, but I can't seem to do it myself.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
I found two pairs of tap pants at my very small WalMart this week, the only two they had. I've been noticing some nice ones on Ebay but they end up getting too expensive for me.

bmathis

New in Town
Has anyone looked at (link edited out by moderator. Please review policies on nudity. We have to be careful when placing lingerie links. Please check out the pages as thoroughly as possilbe before placing a link) I just received my first order yesterday and service/products were excellent. Among the items I received were a pair of "full fashioned stockings ...manufactured on the same machines used in the 1940's..." I am pretty sure I saw a couple of versions of tap pants and french knickers on the site but didn't order them. I'm new to your website but appreciate all of the great info and the lively banter!

decodoll

Practically Family
Thanks for posting that link, Jitterbugdoll. I must have looked at Evadress a million times, and somehow managed to miss that one! It's definitely going on the "to buy" list. :)

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
I just found a goregeous pattern (actually two) from simplicity's new collection for the fall, and one has 1940s high waisted pants. I'm going to run out and get both new patterns because they are simply adorable. I suppose if you made some, they could substitute?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These are not vintage tap pants but they are kind of close and a good price. They don't have the button or hook and eye waist like the vintage tap pants, but it is nice to see that the idea is still out there. About six months ago I bought tap pant sets from Target, and although they weren't spot on vintage, they are the right idea and are also quite comfortable. So, for those of you who can't find original taps in their size or don't feel like making there own taps to wear over their garters or cinchers, these are a nice alternative.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...2?_encoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000EC19N6

Daisy Buchanan

jitterbugdoll said:
Those are cute, Daisy! They a little low-waisted, but I have elastic waist vintage tap pants so at least the idea is in the right place. Certainly better than some of the other options out there!
I actually have a set that is the same brand, I think the model is just wearing them low. They come up a bit higher on me, not all the way up past the waist but above the navel. It could be because I'm only 5'1. I'm gonna order a few pairs, I'll let you know how they fit when I get them. This always happens. I go to that website to look for one thing, and I find a bunch of others.

Daisy Buchanan

Ok, now I'm on the hunt for tap pants. I figure there's got to be some vintage repro's that I haven't come across. I found some sets but they were over the $100 range, that's ridiculous to me.
Amazon has a pretty set in a few different colors. More than I want to spend, since I want to buy a few. They do look higher waisted than the ones from Target.
I really like tap pants. They are so comfortable, especially under a skirt or dress. I guess, and this may sound silly, they provide a sense of security. When the wind blows, you're only revealing a pretty pair of shorts. Nothing embarrasing in that.
Here's the set from Amazon.
It's a shame these are so expensivethese have a vintage flare, but still more than I want to spend on one pair I guess it couldn't hurt to just buy one of pair at that price, they do have a vintagey look to them.
I just don't understand why tap pants went out of style. They are so much more comfortable than a lot of the undergaments that are out there today. I guess they aren't as appealing to men, and it seems like women tend to try and make their clothes as appealing to men as they can be.

Rosie

One Too Many
I have a few pair of what I call tap pants but aren't really traditional and yes, they are quite comfy. Lane Bryant (the store) was selling them about two years ago so I bought two of every style they had. I haven't seen them a lot lately. For those of you who are a size 12 and up, Roamans.com and LaneBryantCatalog.com sometimes carry tap pant like undies.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I came across this pattern while searching for something else:
http://www.evadress.com/4994.html

Wow! That's just what I was looking for! I'm going to use this lovely blue silk slip that has a tear in it and repurpose the fabric to make a pair of tap pants from this great pattern. Thanks for sharing Jitterbug doll!

I have been a fan of tap pants for years and have bought quite a few pairs. But now I want to call them french knickers instead of tap pants.

How did they get the name tap pants to begin with?

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Daisy Buchanan said:
Ok, now I'm on the hunt for tap pants. I figure there's got to be some vintage repro's that I haven't come across. I found some sets but they were over the $100 range, that's ridiculous to me.
Amazon has a pretty set in a few different colors. More than I want to spend, since I want to buy a few. They do look higher waisted than the ones from Target.
I really like tap pants. They are so comfortable, especially under a skirt or dress. I guess, and this may sound silly, they provide a sense of security. When the wind blows, you're only revealing a pretty pair of shorts. Nothing embarrasing in that.
Here's the set from Amazon.
It's a shame these are so expensivethese have a vintage flare, but still more than I want to spend on one pair I guess it couldn't hurt to just buy one of pair at that price, they do have a vintagey look to them.
I just don't understand why tap pants went out of style. They are so much more comfortable than a lot of the undergaments that are out there today. I guess they aren't as appealing to men, and it seems like women tend to try and make their clothes as appealing to men as they can be.

Daisy I bought some just like those at WalMart a couple months ago, and they were about $8 each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael