Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travel in style (Sucess on the horizon...?)

Close Shave

New in Town
Lucky!

You guys in the States are so lucky!

I now live in NZ, where the selection of clothes - even modern ones - is very poor.

In the UK, where I could get most of the things from Orvis and so on, the prices would be same numbers but in Sterling! So a US$550 jacket becomes a GBP550 jacket - which is US$1035!

Poor show!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Eddie Bauer and Target are starting to seel more rough and tumble jackets which you can wear with a tie.

EB06IM_0012823_690C1

I check out the Eddie Bauer oulet now and again and see what they are selling. Patch pocket all cotten jackets that can be washed and run around 40 dollars.

Baggers

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
The perfect jacket is illusive, and my search has been aggravating my wife for some time!

I took some pics of that jacket, but I won't be able to upload them until Monday when I get to work. In the meantime, here are a few I took with my webcam, admittedly poor detail, but they will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

2006-08-19-78328.jpg

2006-08-19-78371.jpg

2006-08-19-78353.jpg

2006-08-19-78429.jpg

There are actually two jackets at Orvis, the Zambezi Twill and the Rhinohide. I think mine is the Zambezi Twill, because it has the leather tab at the collar, which apparently the Rhinohide does not. Their claim to wrinkle resistance is, IMHO, bunk!

The fit could definately be improved with a little tailoring and it might make a decent casual jacket. It will never be a good sport coat subsitute, though.

The other thing I've found that I don't really like is that they've anchored the upper inner pockets to the "breathable mesh" half lining. Well, that mesh stretches like crazy. If you put anything heavy, like keys, a cell phone, or a PDA in any of those pockets it pulls the mesh down, and it swings as you move! There's also a D-ring anchored to that mesh. I can't imagine what that is for.

I would say that if you can grab that auction for $20 it might be worth it. You could always repost it and put a reserve on it. That auction does say no international shipping, though. Are you here in the States now?

Mojave, I had that jacket in the Zambesi Twill. I liked it at first, but as it broke in, it started hanging like an oversized gunny sack on me. I originally washed it, but then I drycleaned it once and it actually looked worse until I washed it again. After I lost ten pounds it looked even worse, so after letting it take up space in my closet for at a couple years I finally gave up on it and donated it to Goodwill a few months back. I'll never buy a sport coat type jacket sized in S M L again!

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Baggers said:
Mojave, I had that jacket in the Zambesi Twill. I liked it at first, but as it broke in, it started hanging like an oversized gunny sack on me. I originally washed it, but then I drycleaned it once and it actually looked worse until I washed it again. After I lost ten pounds it looked even worse, so after letting it take up space in my closet for at a couple years I finally gave up on it and donated it to Goodwill a few months back. I'll never buy a sport coat type jacket sized in S M L again!

Cheers!

Yeah, I got it on eBay so there was no returning it. I had already bid when the topic came up in a thread here, but it was too late. I am going to have this thing tailored in at the waist in particular, and maybe have them add a bit of padding in the shoulder to give it a bit more structure. I thought about selling it again, but I keep wanting to fix the problems. Like Ken, I like the concept and the look a lot, I'm just not crazy about the execution. When is BT going to get his line going? Perhaps those adventure types amongst us should get together and start a line, including the Quatermain vest!

Ken, the easiest thing to do is just turn around and sell it again if it isn't right. That's one good thing about eBay, anyway.

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
This is an intriguing thread, as I've long been tempted by the Orvis rhinohide type jackets. They did also have a drill cloth jacket that looked quite good, but this seems to have been discontinued.

Mojave Jack, did you have any luck producing a more tailored fit on your jacket?

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Orvis Rhinohide

I have a brand-new with label Orvis Rhinohide jacket in khaki for sale. It is a tall fitting and will be ideal on someone over 6 feet tall with a 40 inch chest. PM me for precise details if interested.

Alan

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
Well I'm certainly interested in finding out about the fit!

As someone 6' 2" with a 40" chest, in theory that should fit me. But I've a vague suspicion that they might not be very slim at the waist, as I (for the moment) am. If you wanted to PM me measurements that would be nice.

Thanks

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Ken said:
SCUPPERED YET AGAIN!!!! GRRRRR!!

I am sorry but I fail to understand some advetising practises.

Apparantly despite clearly stating on its website below the picture of the jacket that it comes in a size small, chest 34 - 36, it does not. Apparantly the smallest size they offer this jacket in has a 46 inch chest. Useless to me. They said the sizing on the site refers to ALL their garments. I personally find this completely misleading and exceedingly frustrating since now I am back to square one.

I hear you there. I found some nicely priced trousers only to discover that the length I need starts at a 34" waist, in which I would swim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24