Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travel Labels

gobler

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know where I can get vintage travel lables that one puts on steamer trunks? I am designing a room with a theme of travel and an old English/Irish look.

Cheers,
Jeff

Michaelson

One Too Many
There are also folks who sell some excellent reproductions in multiples collections, in case you don't want to ruin originals. That's where I found the Queen Mary label that PBG and MK used for the give away at the last QM summit. VERY nice printings too. Regards. Michaelson

gobler

One of the Regulars
Thank you both. I found what I am looking for. I tend to forget about ebay and even search engines :eek:

Cheers,
Jeff

Imahomer

Practically Family
Did you find what you wanted on Ebay? I remember looking there a while back for the exact same thing and I was really surprised at what they had.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Wow. That is a great site. The internet never stops amazing me. All you need is an imagination to find what ever you want out there.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My first decoupage of vintage luggage labels...!!

After seeing the thread, "look what I have just got!" (or something like that where one of the guys got a leather case off Ebay and put travel labels from the 20s and 30s on it), I was really, really inspired by that, so THANKS!! So I went onto some of the aforementioned sites to look at vintage labels, but couldn't download them or save them onto my computer. Got around that by taking pics with my camera of the image on the screen and that seemed to work! Then got my old leather suitcase and went to town on it. I printed the labels off the computer (having downloaded images off my camera of course) onto paper (using a colour cartridge to print with). Then after they had dried, I varnished them with a varnish that had a slight oak tint to it (to vintagefy them, also because it was handy in the shed!!). After that dried, just got my stick glue (that I use at Primary/Elementary school (see how I help both my UK and US pals there!! LoL) and glued them onto the case, 'et voila!!'
This is my first attempt guys, and I reckon they look pretty passable and antiqued!!!
LuggageLabels004.jpg

So thank-you chaps for inspiring me with your threads of daring-do!! I chose to dare and won (I think!!).

Michaelson

One Too Many
One of these days I'm going back to that Chattanooga TN antique store where I found an old suitcase that has travel labels from all over the world, as well as the identification markings of belonging to a crewman of the Queen Mary, so it's all original and in fairly decent shape! They wanted over a hundred dollars for it, but I'm sure that's negotiable. Regards! Michaelson

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
PADDY- Label Instructions-

Paddy- if you want to save images from a site where they don't want you to save them, or it's just the way the images are hosted or whatever-

What I do in this circumstance is:

-press the button on the keyboard called "Print Screen", this 'captures' whatever is displayed on your screen- an image of the whole 'desktop'.
Pressing print screen saves/copys the desktop image to your clipboard- just like when you 'copy' something. You can open the image in Photoshop or another program where you can paste it in- I don't know what software you have.
In P'shop, open a canvas of an appropriate size and 'paste' the image- the keyboard shortcut to 'paste' is 'Ctrl+V' (Copy is Ctrl+C). You now have the image of the desktop, including the image you want- you can crop it, scale it up, edit it for colour, contrast, sharpness, etc., etc. to your contentment.
I think that about covers it...
Label.jpg

I just tried it- this is what I got.
B
T

HaraldTheSwede

Familiar Face
One additional note about Print Screen. Hold AltGr while pressing PrtSc and the image copied is not of your entire screen, but only of the window you are currently highlighting.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks for that BT!

Really appreciated that! As my taking snaps of the computer screen is so jolly long winded!! :cheers1:

BT & MA, I am getting so confused on what names to call people where!! from forum to forum I have to stop and think!! LoL. :rolleyes: Having made that mistake here, I've just popped back to correct it. Secret Squirrel, out!

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
Vintage Labels

I was the guy who bought the case off e-bay months ago and the author of that thread "Look what I got" and because I love you all so... he is my gift to you all (even though I could have sworn I posted this once already).

http://www.geocities.com/an_available_guy/index.html?1116975347484

Those are all the vintage labels I was able to find on-line, through stores, ones I bought, from my family and friends collections, ect. they are all free and can be saved on the computer to print as you wish... they are my gift to you... if you feel like sending me gifts awesome...lol... I not exspecting them though :cry: lol. Enjoy all.

-Doc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy