Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tricorn, Cocked, Colonial, Pirate hat.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, and Welcome!

Hi, Charlie,

And Welcome to the Lounge. You sure found a very interesting subject for your first post. I enjoyed the article. I'd no clue how tricorn hats were made; turns out to be a much more involved process then I would have thought.

Cheers,
Tom

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
I'm into ceremonial hats and all. Currently, I have more academic caps than I do with 'normal' hats!

Ede & Ravenscroft cloth rigid skull mortarboard (vintage; by far my best trencher. They just don't make them as good as vintage ones these days...)
E&R cloth folding skull mb (vintage)
E&R cloth folding skull mb
E&R cloth Tudor bonnet
E&R velvet Bishop Andrewes cap
Shepherd & Woodward cloth folding skull mb
S&W cloth Oxford soft cap

Silk top hat (vintage but too small for me)
Christys' black Epsom trilby
Christys' sable fedora

My next hat will be either a homburg or a bowler for my London learned society meetings, etc.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome Charlie. Post the homburg if you decide on it. I love homburgs and there is a Homburg Nation thread just for them.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tricorn, cocked, colonial, pirate hat.

Call it what you will, its all the same thing. My son has recently got interested in Pirates and I have decided to join him in this new interest. A fashion staple from the era seems to be this hat.
I have already contacted my Hat maker and he is intrigued, he has also encouraged me to pose the question to the lounge to see if there is more information out there in general.
Does anyone have one? Know where to get one? Made one? I am on a budget so price is also a consideration.
Any input would be fantastic.

Johnny

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
My tricorn hat blank is wool from from Jas Townsend. The liner, binding and tacking were all done by hand. Visiting various Rev War sites is best for finding someone skilled in finishing these - if you are not comfortable in doing it yourself.

20150901_190834%20Guide_zpswssaretg.jpg

20150901_190659%20Guide_zpsg7rojhke.jpg

This hat is about 10 years old and has seen a lot of hard use. I had a bit of shrinkage, but the stretcher brought it back to size.

Fed

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
They're not really wasted as they are still present only folded up & attached. :D
The brim folded offer no protection against the sun and makes the hat accumulate water when raining, making it heavier. I don't see anything positive here.

They do give a little more protection from the elements than a cap & so much more stylish...
Only for style, nothing more.

The brim folded offer no protection against the sun and makes the hat accumulate water when raining, making it heavier. I don't see anything positive here.

Only for style, nothing more.

I would guess that there is some functionality, as most hat designs of the past were utilitarian. What that function is, I don't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats