Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trouser gals

The Dame

One of the Regulars
I have always been a huge fan of Katherine Hepburn's style, particularly her fondness for trousers. From what I've seen so far, it seems most of the vintage repro is geared towards dresses and skirts, with the odd capri or short thrown in. Any good sites with a nice selection of repro trousers?

Are there any other trouser gals out there?

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Victoria's Secret also had some wide-leg trousers with a high waist.

V269475.jpg

And I love trousers! I'm planning on grabbing this Vogue pattern V8502 tomorrow ($3.99 sale at Joann's this weekend)--you need to look at the pattern detail to see the high waisted pants:

V8502.jpg

V8502.gif

16_sparrows

Vendor
I just bought a pair of wide-legged tweed trousers from Forever 21. It was a low price too, like $18 or something insane like that. Check their website, they probably still have it online.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
If you sew, there are several patterns out there for classicly styled trousers -

3688.jpg

4044.jpg

M5476.jpg

I personally don't do trousers. I find them uncomfortable and unflattering (on myself, in any case). I think they look better on leggier dames.

Mary

Practically Family
I love that style too! Have been looking through some older treads on high-wisted pants, slacks and palazzo pant. I didn't knew what everything was called at first but I'm learning!

Saw some nice pants on some page from the film the aviator. I have to see the film now! I swoon when I see nice pants. Like those pinuppants or those pants Lauren has in her avatar.

But I don't have any pants like that yet. I was and maybe I will sew some of my own but I'm too lazy and bad at deciding. Called a seemstress today and it seemed to be quite cheap to have her sew one pair. And she said she didn't need a pattern. Only pictures. And then I thought if I liked those I could make simular of my own.

Well see. For now I get buy on some men's pants that are widelegged but not so high waisted and some 90's pants that looks like 40' pyjamastyle pants. No pleats.

Tell me. What is it you like about them and what do you wear to them?

I while ago I had my 90's pants (thay actually look kinda good) and a tight black top and a necklace. Maybe I looked a little like Chanel in that picture with her lover. I got lots of compliments though!

Oh what else should I write. I just really love that style right now. It feels so confident and equal and and therefore hot.

M

TessTrueheart

Mary said:
. Like those pinuppants or those pants Lauren has in her avatar.

But I don't have any pants like that yet. I was and maybe I will sew some of my own but I'm too lazy and bad at deciding. Called a seemstress today and it seemed to be quite cheap to have her sew one pair. And she said she didn't need a pattern. Only pictures.
M

I love the pants in Laurens avatar too, they are perfect!

I'm really curious about the price of having pants made by a seamstress, can you tell me how much she wanted?

Smuterella

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
I have 4 pairs of 40s style trousers, I live in them! I can't get through the winter without them. Saves on stockings too. :D

golly, yes

they are just great for work.

I really need some heavyweight satin evening trousers now, in black

*sigh*

Mary

Practically Family
I'd love to see how you ladies of the lounge wear your pants! I'll post some pictures of myself tomorrow. I know some of you have posted pictures in the "see what I have sewn-tread" but I'd love to have a tread with just lots and lots of trousers!!!

M

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I have some cropped skinny jeans and some button up sailor-style jeans but I'm not having much luck with dressier trousers. It's not really in style right now so finding anything on the high street is kind of a bust - I did try some on in Primark this week but the fit was terrible, and the buttons weren't real so... no luck there.

I'd be interested in making some though ^-^ xx

Smuterella

One Too Many
miserabelle said:
I have some cropped skinny jeans and some button up sailor-style jeans but I'm not having much luck with dressier trousers. It's not really in style right now so finding anything on the high street is kind of a bust - I did try some on in Primark this week but the fit was terrible, and the buttons weren't real so... no luck there.

I'd be interested in making some though ^-^ xx

they are out there, I promise

try the suit section of TK Maxx or, dare i say it, Next!!!

MissHannah

One Too Many
Oasis have some pretty nice sailor style ones in the UK.
I really want some with a waistband though - so I can tuck in my blouses neatly! I have a pattern but I'm dreadful at sewing... any UK gals wanna get paid to make me a pair?!

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I'll have to go into Birmingham I think, the shops there seem to have a better collection than the ones nearer to home. I hadn't even thought of TK maxx though, thanks! xx

Smuterella

One Too Many
i get a lot of stuff there, if you look in the "formal" section you can find great trousers and pencil skirts

their knitwear section is great for cardigans too

The Dame

One of the Regulars
I wish I could sew, but I doubt I'm ever going to be able to sew something as elaborate as a pair of trousers. Too busy. Too impatient.

But I love trousers - In fact, I wore these today:

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/82/49/98/66/0082499866373_215X215.jpg

I paired them with a cute little nipped-waist cotton shirt (button front) with short sleeves that are lightly shirred at the shoulders. Very feminine, yet tailored. Navy argyle socks and black leather lace-ups from Naturalizer rounded out the ensemble.

I just wish I could find some really, truly Hepburnesque trousers that didn't cost an arm and a leg and weren't dry clean only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24