Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trouser gals

Aurora

One of the Regulars
Fab, do you just print it out and that's a pattern? Sorry to sound so daft, only used to the lovely crisp paper that's nicely folded up inside an envelope :)

Ooh, I'll scan in a pic of a slacks pattern I found last night in one of my many dressmaking books - Someone remind me first thing! :D

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Yes, you just need to register first (it's free), then you can download the patterns in pdf format and print them.
I made up the summer pyjamas negligee a while ago, very quick and easy.
I just had a look at the sailor front pdf and I have to say it's not exactly self-explanatory, so definitely not for the sewing novice!

Aurora

One of the Regulars
not for the sewing novice?! Ah, that should rule me out of making them, but I like a challenge! You might be seeing a dodgy pair of wonky sailor pants on the "Show Us What You Made" thread! lol

Aurora

One of the Regulars
My brain's already melted and I haven't even looked at it!
These Sailor pants are third in line after a suspender skirt and side-zip slacks - I'll keep you informed :D

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
What shape is best?

Hi, I was just wondering what shape is best to look good in the 40's style pants? I am a pear with rather large hips and behind. Would I be able to look at least acceptable in that style? I really would love to wear the 40's style pants. Can anyone tell me?
Sarah

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
newtovintage said:
Hi, I was just wondering what shape is best to look good in the 40's style pants? I am a pear with rather large hips and behind. Would I be able to look at least acceptable in that style? I really would love to wear the 40's style pants. Can anyone tell me?
Sarah

You should look GREAT, not fine, if you keep these rules in mind: sew or purchase pants ONLY with flat fronts and side or back zips. I have the same problem, so trust me, I understand. ;) The material will fall from your hips straight to the floor in a waterfall, minimizing your hips and making your butt look fantastic.

NO POCKETS!

Vintage Betty

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
Vintage Betty said:
You should look GREAT, not fine, if you keep these rules in mind: sew or purchase pants ONLY with flat fronts and side or back zips. I have the same problem, so trust me, I understand. ;) The material will fall from your hips straight to the floor in a waterfall, minimizing your hips and making your butt look fantastic.

NO POCKETS!

Vintage Betty

What type of blouse would look best with this style of trousers? Also could they be worn to only specific functions? All the information you could give me would be wonderful. There is so much I want to know about the 40's. Oh, also what types of shoes? I read somewhere that penny loafers were acceptable with trousers. Is that so? Thank you so much for your help.
Sarah

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Any type of loafer or oxford, even sneakers would work with trousers. It all depends on how casual or dressed up you want to look. For everyday, I wear my red Converse, or boat shoes with my trousers.

I wear wide leg trousers exclusively, as Im VERY big in the bum and they just create a great straight line (As Vintage Betty says) to mask all those bumps and such.

As for tops, pretty much anything goes, just TUCK IT IN!!!. You cant be afraid to tuck in your shirt or, wear a belt if needed. If you want a bit of cover up, get into the habit of taking a sweater. :)

LD

Rachael

A-List Customer
With autumn around the corner, it's time to pack up the summer dresses and think about trousers again. I just picked up this pattern because I love the waistband detail; I have so many interesting buttons that I have just one or two of, and this will be a great way to use them. I'll of course have to flair the leg but that's easy enough.

PICT0793.jpg
PICT0794.jpg

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
Vintage Betty said:

NO POCKETS!

Vintage Betty

So how high should the trousers begin? Does anyone have a picture that might help?

Rachael

A-List Customer
I'm looking at adjusting my pattern, and wondering how wide to with the leg. Is 36" circ. enough or should I go wider? I'm looking to use a lightweight crepe or maybe a wool challis.

mackenzie

Familiar Face
Rachael said:
I'm looking at adjusting my pattern, and wondering how wide to with the leg. Is 36" circ. enough or should I go wider? I'm looking to use a lightweight crepe or maybe a wool challis.

Make a straight horisontal line at the croch across the pattern, divide this measurement in 2, at the middle you make a vertical line, this line is the press line= the middle of the leg. when you want to make the pants wider you shouldn't make them a lot wider than this. I usually do mine a little wider but the widest part is at kneehight = the lenght from the croch to the waist, lets say it is 30 cm. from the croch line you just made go down 30 cm and make another horisontal line- this is the "kneeline". IMPORTANT, when you make the pants wider you have to do it equally on both sides of the pressline.
The formula to calculate the widht of your pants is for front "your desired width/2= x-1=y/2, for the back your desired width/2=X+1=y/2. The measurement you get is to be added on both sides of the pressline.
Sorry for the long post and that i don't know the terms of sewing in english. I hope it makes sense.

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
Zipper question.

ShrinkingViolet said:
img429.jpg

1942 Zoot Girl Gang:

edit: oops, sorry for the hugeness

I've been looking at this picture and I was wondering, is it just me, or do the pants on these ladies have zippers in the front? I could be seeing things, but that's what it appears like to me. Can anyone tell me whether I'm wrong or right? Thanks in advance.
Sarah

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I didn't notice until now how much that girl on the right looks like Ronnie Spector. That look is so bad-ass! lol I suppose latinas with huge hair wasn't a 1960s invention.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Does anyone know where to find non-wide leg high waisted trousers?
The wide leg does nothing for me and seeing as how I can' sew worth a lick, I'm stuck searching for retail pants.

swinggal

One Too Many
Not wide legged - well early 1990s pants were high-waisted in both wide and normal width. You might be able to find some in op-shops :) All the tailored pants I wore back then for work were high waisted. Just have to find ones without pleats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24