Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trouser gals

Mary

Practically Family
I'm becoming more and more obsessed with trousers!! The last couple of days have been extrordinary.

Went to the liberary and looked trough old magazines from 1934. :) Took pictures on all trousers I saw. I can post some here if you want to and if it's allowed.

I really like the discussion of the low/high rise. Very informative. I'd like to know how loose the pants were in the crotch area in the 1930's. Is it 1 or 4inches? What would be most common for wool pants? Was it the same in the 1940's?

And yesterday I went looking for wool fabrics. Found (but didn't buy) some wool crepe, wool gabardine and wool worsted. I'm puzzled over the wool worsted. What is that? I looked on fabrics.net but don't get any wiser.

The fabric was heavier and thinker and looked really really cosy. Is it good for pants?

I think I'll start with some wool crepe cause it was the cheapest. It looked really matte. Crepe feels a little 70's but I think I like it all the same.

And thanks Lady Day for telling me how much fabric is needed. Do you dryclean wools or wash them?

And I'd love to see more pictures of you all in your gorgeous trousers! So please please post some photos!

M

The Dame

One of the Regulars
I just want to say a big thank you to all of you ladies for posting in this thread - I'm thrilled with all of the responses and great info. I'm also thrilled to know I'm not alone in being a Trouser Gal! :eusa_clap :D

AnnaMaria

New in Town
Mary said:
And yesterday I went looking for wool fabrics. Found (but didn't buy) some wool crepe, wool gabardine and wool worsted. I'm puzzled over the wool worsted. What is that? I looked on fabrics.net but don't get any wiser.

The fabric was heavier and thinker and looked really really cosy. Is it good for pants?

I think I'll start with some wool crepe cause it was the cheapest. It looked really matte. Crepe feels a little 70's but I think I like it all the same.

And thanks Lady Day for telling me how much fabric is needed. Do you dryclean wools or wash them?

M

Worsted wool is what we call "kamgarnsull" in Sweden. I found some info here
http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000037.html
and this (found here http://www.woolcrafting.com/what-is-worsted-wool.html)

"Worsted fabrics

have a distinct woven pattern and are more closely woven
have a hard finish for a flatter, smoother look
are firm, wiry or harsh, and smooth or rough
wrinkle less, are more long-lasting, and hold creases and shape
are more expensive and good for tailored clothing and suits "

At my school we usually reccomend people to dry clean wool garments, but you can wash it yourself if you wash it cold .If your garment has a lining, the lining fabric should have been pre washed. Wool also has a "self cleaning" ability, just hang it outside and it will get cleaner, so you won't have to wash it very often.

Talk to your seamstress if you are unsure, she should know what fabrics to use and how to care for them.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mary said:

And I'd love to see more pictures of you all in your gorgeous trousers! So please please post some photos!

M

Worsted can be used for suiting as far as I know. Id start with a polly blend before crape, and crape has been around forever!

As far as care, I havent worn my gabbie slacks enough to warrant a cleaning. I think Im gonna test a scrap in the washer to see how it holds up. I hate dry cleaning anything. Too pricy.

LD

CassD

One of the Regulars
Thought I'd share a picture of the wide-legged trousers I bought. They are really high-waisted and the shirt I was wearing them with was all bunchy, so it sort of looks like I have no torso, but I do have abnormally long legs compared with my torso length, so I guess that's to be expected.

DSC06595.jpg

And the tags still on, lol.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
I have to say after reading this entire thread I now have a headache.
And I seriously doubt I'll ever find the pants I want unless I make them.

Mary

Practically Family
CassD. I loved to see your pants and they look good! Like the buttons.

Thanks AnnaMaria and Lady Day for answering my questions. I just saw the Aviator and where quite taken with Katies trousers. Here's a link if you haven't seen them allready.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1279236096/tt0338751

And they have a low rise and it looks just marvelous. The fabric is really flowy. Can anyone tell me of more movies with great looking pants?!

M

CassD

One of the Regulars
Thank you Mary and Cherry Lips. :)

Betty Hutton wears a fabulous pair of trousers that are incredibly wide-legged in The Stork Club. If you've got a good internet connection you can watch the movie here:
http://www.archive.org/details/the_stork_club

There aren't really any good pictures of them on the imdb page, though. Sorry.

Real Swell Gal, I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for, but if it's wide-legged trousers, they're really back in style big time, both high-waisted and low-waisted, and if you do end up having to make trousers, Lady Day has given some spectacular advice in various threads on making trousers.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Can anybody remember which member it was recently who said she had trouble finding jeans with a 22-23 inch waist? I can't find which thread it was in and there's a cheap pair on ebay this week - I just wanted to give her a heads up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24