Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tv shows - Poirot , Campion , Foyles War

djd

Practically Family
Huge fan of these shows - not sure how many people have seen the fairly short-lived Campion with Peter Davison?

Foyles War is great but what a shame about the hats which are almost universally garbage!

Any more fans here? :)

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Yes, I am a fan too. I love the Poirot series and have heard a nasty rumor that they have quit filming, even though Suchet is one of the producers and has stated that he wants to do more. I have seen a few episodes of Foyles War on U-tube, have not been able to find them on PBS here in NC. I have heard of Campion, but have not yet seen any of the episodes.

Regards

Kirk H.

djd

Practically Family
I think there are something like 4 unfilmed Poirot stories still? I wonder whether there's a certain amount of attempting to get some extra publicity around these press stories about not filming them? The show is so widely sold overseas that it has to be a good earner for the production company.

Campion is well worth seeing - great clothes in it too! I think you can get it on DVD still

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I had also heard that they might not be able to film the entire range of Poirot. Unfortunately, I think it costs a bomb to produce and times are tight!

djd

Practically Family
I kind of wish that they'd milked Foyles War a little more rather than galloping through the years quite so quickly! Michael Kitchen's laid back delivery was superb. Almost Columbo like in his ability to allow other people to talk themselves into trouble! Sam was a wonderful character too. Just the sort of show to cheer yourself up on a Sunday evening!

Talbot

One Too Many
I kind of wish that they'd milked Foyles War a little more rather than galloping through the years quite so quickly! Michael Kitchen's laid back delivery was superb. Almost Columbo like in his ability to allow other people to talk themselves into trouble! Sam was a wonderful character too. Just the sort of show to cheer yourself up on a Sunday evening!

Honeysuckle Weeks was wonderful, wasn't she?

Effingham

A-List Customer

Sam could have cheered me up ANY evening of the week.

(I am soooooo pathetic.)

Anyone watching the new season of Downtown Abbey?

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I love the Campion show, have it on dvd. I also really love the Peter Wimsey series (the one starring Edward Petherbridge).

Love Poirot and Miss Marple too. I'm a big fan of British mysteries. Nothing beats the Granada Sherlock Holmes series though.
X
BD

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I've watched the old 1970s series of "Lord Peter Wimsey" and I think they were pretty cool. I've also seen Poirot (love that) and Foyle's War (love that as well, but I think it rushes through the war too much).

I also liked the 1980s-1990s Sherlock Holmes series by Granada. Poor Jeremy Brett died before he could finish his masterpiece.

Speaking of Downton Abbey (which isn't bad), I'm also a big fan of Upstairs Downstairs (the original 1970s series and the new series). I hope that these two shows don't drop in quality any time soon and only improve. The news about Aileen Atkins is very disappointing.

For anyone else who likes murder-mystery/detective shows, I would also suggest the excellent production of "Murdoch Mysteries". A fifth season is coming out sometime soon.

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
I thoroughly enjoy most of the British mysteries, especially Foyle and Wimsey (Campion was good, too). Another of my favorites is Nero Wolfe. Although Nero is a different kind of a cat altogether, and not British, the series is quite good nevertheless, and a well done period piece.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I love the Campion show, have it on dvd. I also really love the Peter Wimsey series (the one starring Edward Petherbridge).

Love Poirot and Miss Marple too. I'm a big fan of British mysteries. Nothing beats the Granada Sherlock Holmes series though.
X
BD

Yes, the Granada Holmes series is great. I have also recently rediscovered Sgt. Cribb and Reilly, Ace of Spies on DVD. I remember seeing them on TV back in the 1980's.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I'm enjoying Downton Abbey, although NOT enjoying all the ad breaks - one minute of ads for each 3 minutes of Downton! I end up pausing, making a cuppa, then fast forwarding through them, very annoying.

Haversack

One Too Many
The A&E Nero Wolfe series nailed Stout's characters and stories so well that I read any of my wife's collection I cannot but hear Hutton's voice in my head. It works so well that even the stories not produced by A&E are acted by Hutton, Chaykin, et. al. in the theatre of my mind's eye. It even has Kari Matchett!

Effingham

A-List Customer
The A&E Nero Wolfe series nailed Stout's characters and stories so well that I read any of my wife's collection I cannot but hear Hutton's voice in my head. It works so well that even the stories not produced by A&E are acted by Hutton, Chaykin, et. al. in the theatre of my mind's eye.

Same here. I started reading the books AFTER watching the show. (Basically, the show is what introduced me to the character in a "hey, this is worthwhile!" way.) When I read all the books, it was Hutton's voice that narrated in my mind. Made the reading go slower than I usually read, but damn but it also made EACH book that much more enjoyable.

There aren't many series or films that do that to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff