Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tweed jacket, looks good

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Thanks, T. Filed for future ref.

I've just seen you've mentioned this recently on another thread. :eusa_doh: So now I also know what a gorge is.

Earlier this week I discovered the bi-swing shoulder.

I already knew about arm scye.

I think I might just have the makings of a mental picture of an entire jacket.

Getting there. Slowly.

Warbaby

One Too Many
I hate to be a spoil-sport, but I have to agree with the Baron. You can get a vintage Harris Tweed (prolly bespoke, as well) from Bookster for about half the price. They've got some simply gorgeous tweeds on eBay at the moment, including a very spiffy Norfolk jacket that I'd buy in a heartbeat if I weren't so broke this month.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
IMHO, It looks like these are just off-the-peg jackets, not really made to measure. Can't even specify sleeve length. They look a bit boxy to me; don't have the suppressed waist and flared skirt I am accustomed to see in a hacking jacket. Otherwise, they do indeed have many of the traditional hacking jacket features, viz.: hacking pockets, ticket pocket, double vent.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Ordinary, yes, but I'm not bothered about whether it's MTM or off-the-peg, or whatever. I just want one that fits in a decent pattern tweed.

As for price, I see what you mean. But 3-button tweeds aren't so readily available from new (Brook Taverner, which is the main supplier, I think, seems only to make a 2-button version) and it's cheaper than Cordings, etc.

Tweeds in my chest size don't come up as regularly on Ebay as others and, when they do, they tend to be rather fiercely patterned or too short. And I haven't the patience for thrift/charity/op shopping, although I can see that would probably throw up some better-fitting bargains.

I think I'll check this lot out next time I'm in Leeds.

funneman

Practically Family
Warbaby said:
I hate to be a spoil-sport, but I have to agree with the Baron. You can get a vintage Harris Tweed (prolly bespoke, as well) from Bookster for about half the price. They've got some simply gorgeous tweeds on eBay at the moment, including a very spiffy Norfolk jacket that I'd buy in a heartbeat if I weren't so broke this month.

What exactly is "bespoke?" And how is is pronounced?

filfoster

One Too Many
Harris Tweed

H.Johnson said:
Vintage Harris Tweed - as close (and as cheap) as your nearest charity shop.

Try it, CP, you might get to like it...
It's ironic and fun to imagine so many homeless folks about in Harris Tweed jackets. That does not delay my ebay acquistion for a second, however, having myself bought beautiful and well fitting ones from ebay, in wonderful condition. Democracy in action!

Feraud

Bartender
The vintage shops are worth the time browsing through.
I found this Harris tweed in just such a place.
DSC04218.jpg

Brick and mortar shops offer the opportunity to try on the garment before purchasing.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
funneman said:
What exactly is "bespoke?" And how is is pronounced?

And it means that it is made for you, specifically, from custom pattern to finished product. It is made to fit your form, and no other, and the patterns would not be re-used for another person. Bespoke: To speak it into being. To give order for something to be made.

It applies to all manner of things. From garments to shoes to hats to guns.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Feraud,

Does it have the Harris Tweed label?

Feraud said:
The vintage shops are worth the time browsing through.
I found this Harris tweed in just such a place.
DSC04218.jpg

Brick and mortar shops offer the opportunity to try on the garment before purchasing.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Feraud,

Thanks - the cloth is from the 1980s or early 90s (see the word 'Assoc' rather than 'Authority') and is, I think, by Parkend in Stornaway on Lewis. The jacket may have been tailored elsewhere, of course.

Howard Hughes

One of the Regulars
Vintage Tweed

Whatto All,

I know an excellent Vintage Clothing Emporium located in Worcestershire, England, who I know currently have a good stock of men's tweed jackets, which are all very wearable, I was browsing them only last Saturday.
Their address is lynne@revivalclothing.fsnet.co.uk
Mobile phone # 07980 156 947.
Tell them Wes sent you.
They are a very amiable couple, and they are even well priced.
Hope this is helpful.
Toodleoo.
HH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy