Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two wonderful photos.

K

killertomata

I don't know if anyone here is on the LiveJournal WW2_Photographs community, but today there are two wonderful photos I would like to direct you to. I didn't post these but they're too good not to pass along.

One last kiss.

Burial at Sea

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Those are great photos, thanks!

But it brings up something I've never thought of before, being a land based former soldier myself. They would always return the remains of a soldier to the family for burial if possible, but if you were in the Navy would they always do a burial at sea? Was is a choice? Do they still do this?

Just wondering.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I adore the girl in the "One Last Kiss" photo--if you looked up "the girl back home" in the dictionary you'd see her picture. Her whole look is marvelous but her hair is especially lovely.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
J. M. Stovall said:
But it brings up something I've never thought of before, being a land based former soldier myself. They would always return the remains of a soldier to the family for burial if possible, but if you were in the Navy would they always do a burial at sea? Was is a choice? Do they still do this?

Space is very crowded and limited in a ship out to sea. I think the burial at sea is done out of neccessity because there isn't anywhere to store the bodies (esp. if it's a large amount) without them starting to decompose. In the tight quarters of a ship, that would be hard to deal with. With modern transportation/technology, I don't know if they still do it though. Does anyone know? If they still do it, is it because of the honors of being buried at sea?

TailendCharlie

One of the Regulars
To this very day...

BeBopBaby said:
Space is very crowded and limited in a ship out to sea. I think the burial at sea is done out of neccessity because there isn't anywhere to store the bodies (esp. if it's a large amount) without them starting to decompose. In the tight quarters of a ship, that would be hard to deal with. With modern transportation/technology, I don't know if they still do it though. Does anyone know? If they still do it, is it because of the honors of being buried at sea?
it is still carried out. Take a look at this post.
www.flickr.com/photos/kirstenl/sets/293587/

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
And here's the modern equivalent of that WW2 parting kiss.

imgres

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo