Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U.S. Navy bridge coats

Peacoat

Bartender
Wish I could see the shoulder boards clearly enough to tell his rank. Looks as if he may have been a Commander, or Lt. Commander, but that would have been a lot of rank with the war just starting. Maybe his political connections, as I believe he was in Congress then?

apap

New in Town
Just picked up this 1942 bridge coat via ebay. Great condition and fit.
11893553233_53741c7617.jpg

11893279355_76f4612b30.jpg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Wish I could see the shoulder boards clearly enough to tell his rank. Looks as if he may have been a Commander, or Lt. Commander, but that would have been a lot of rank with the war just starting. Maybe his political connections, as I believe he was in Congress then?
The related article said Lt Commander.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Just picked up this 1942 bridge coat via ebay. Great condition and fit.
11893553233_53741c7617.jpg

11893279355_76f4612b30.jpg
You're very lucky since I've had no luck finding one in the right size/length - enjoy!

Yesterday I ordered one of the Fidelity coats because I need a light overcoat but one that buttons up to the neck and closes the rear vent. I had one of their pea coats a few years back and although rather no frills it was solidly made, so I'm hoping their bridge coats are of similar value.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Damage said:
Yesterday I ordered one of the Fidelity coats because I need a light overcoat but one that buttons up to the neck and closes the rear vent. I had one of their pea coats a few years back and although rather no frills it was solidly made, so I'm hoping their bridge coats are of similar value.
That Fidelity bridge coat came today and it's a solid garment, although rather no-frills as I anticipated. The cloth, although only 75% wool, is very heavy and I think would perform well in cold weather and wind. Construction is solid. I won't be keeping it, however, since it fits too big (they only come in 42R and 44R, not 42L) and the skirts (front and back) don't hang well on me for some reason.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Real McCoy reproduction. Looks like a nice heavy coat, but that stupid patch on the chest ruins it. That tag is a good example of the potentially misleading "real" tags that reproduction companies put on repro clothing and which I am opposed to them doing.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Two more interesting genuine issue coats. The first one is in a heavy wool coat, the second is a size 46 or 48 according to the seller (the model is apparently a size 48). These coats are like pea coats - anything larger than a 42 seems to be rare.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I have a 46R bridge coat and I wear a 46R Service Dress Blue (SDB) jacket. The bridge coat fits a little big over the jacket. When I ordered it from the uniform shop over the phone, they said I should get a 48R to go over my uniform. It was very oversized. I had to return it and get the 46R. The second person I talked to said that I should have ordered the same size Bridge Coat as my uniform coat. With any uniform item purchased at the uniform shop, you never get the same fit with the same size, even if you purchase the same name brand. I will be breaking it out for a Change of Command ceremony I am going to later this month. I will post some pics then.

Peacoat

Bartender
Does anyone know why the buttons on the first bridgecoat pictured above in post #51 by the Doc. are pewter (silver) and not the standard gold for officer's and chief's bridgecoats?

Treetop: I have found the best fit in topcoats (civilian) or military overcoats, such as the bridgecoat, are found by ordering the same size as one's uniform (suit) size. The first rep on the phone gave you bad advice, as you soon found out. I didn't notice such a disparity in sizing, as you mention, when I was in the military. But, then, that was a few years ago. Yes, we would like to see pictures of a current bridgecoat in the wild at an official function.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Peacoat said:
Does anyone know why the buttons on the first bridgecoat pictured above in post #51 by the Doc. are pewter (silver) and not the standard gold for officer's and chief's bridgecoats?
They look gold/brass on my computer monitor.
Treetopflyer said:
I have a 46R bridge coat and I wear a 46R Service Dress Blue (SDB) jacket. The bridge coat fits a little big over the jacket. When I ordered it from the uniform shop over the phone, they said I should get a 48R to go over my uniform. It was very oversized. I had to return it and get the 46R. The second person I talked to said that I should have ordered the same size Bridge Coat as my uniform coat. With any uniform item purchased at the uniform shop, you never get the same fit with the same size, even if you purchase the same name brand. I will be breaking it out for a Change of Command ceremony I am going to later this month. I will post some pics then.
It's kind of annoying that bridge coats are only available via someone on the 'inside', whereas the current issue pea coats are available directly from the manufacturer, Sterlingwear, and anyone can buy one. At this stage I think the only way I'm going to get the size I want is buying newish.

In any case, let us know how you paid for the coat (if you don't mind).

Last edited:

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Wore mine today. Not an official function, but I was wearing my Blues today for a family event so I thought I would wear my Bridge Coat. Here is a not so good cell phone pic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy