Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U.S. Navy bridge coats

hatguy1

One Too Many
They no longer have greens. The only dress uniform they have is their ASUs (Dress Blues). They wear their black rain coat with that. Other than that, they wear their Army Combat Uniform (ACU) everywhere. Even when they travel commercially, which as a Navy guy, I find very inappropriate since it is a working uniform.

I know. One almost never sees Army or even USAF guys/gals in anything but those goofy digital camo outfits anymore - airports, restaurants, everywhere. I'm sure they're far more comfortable and easier to wear, but still the image....

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
TheEyeball said:
Thought this might be of interest. I bought a new bridge coat off Amazon.
Flying Cross, new, in size 42L? That's exactly what I was looking for last year, never found it, and gave up. I'm envious!

TheEyeball

New in Town
Nice work on the conversion.

Thank you! Got to wear it all day yesterday and already racked up several compliments and questions.

Yes, good job Mr. Eyeball, and welcome to The Lounge.

Does your bridgecoat have a zipper on the inside so that a liner can be zipped in, or is there insulation in the lining in the coat? My bridgecoat has the zipper, but no lining. The shell isn't as thick as the peacoat, and isn't as warm. With the liner, it would be a very warm coat because it covers more than the peacoat.
No, it doesn't have a zip-in liner. It has a heavy sewn-in liner and the coat is very warm.

Flying Cross, new, in size 42L? That's exactly what I was looking for last year, never found it, and gave up. I'm envious!
Yep! I just googled it and one of the results was Amazon. The orders are fulfilled by McGuire Army/Navy out of New Jersey. It was harder to find buttons that would fit than it was to find the coat itself! Anyway, I just checked and they do have more 42L in stock, so...:D

Hopefully it's cool to post the link here: http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Cross-...F8&qid=1420125955&sr=8-1&keywords=bridge+coat

Peacoat

Bartender
And that is a decent price. Could you post a picture or two of you wearing your Bridgecoat. On second thought, you probably must have a minimum number of posts before you can post photos, maybe 10?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
And that is a decent price. Could you post a picture or two of you wearing your Bridgecoat. On second thought, you probably must have a minimum number of posts before you can post photos, maybe 10?
He posted all those photos of his new coat on his #1 post, so maybe the forum rules have changed.

In any case, I'd like to hear from TheEyeball how he feels about sizing? He bought a 42L coat - what size does he normally wear in men's suits for instance?

Peacoat

Bartender
He posted all those photos of his new coat on his #1 post, so maybe the forum rules have changed.

In any case, I'd like to hear from TheEyeball how he feels about sizing? He bought a 42L coat - what size does he normally wear in men's suits for instance?

Duh . . . I forgot about those pics; I mean that was a day or so ago. So, how about some pics of TheEyeball wearing the coat now that we know you can post photos?

TheEyeball

New in Town
And that is a decent price. Could you post a picture or two of you wearing your Bridgecoat.

Sure. I had a few that my wife took, but they didn't come out very well so I deleted them. The coat is so black, it's hard for the camera not to just see a giant black blob in indoor lighting. None of the detail shows up. I'll get some better pics soon when we can be outside.

I'd like to hear from TheEyeball how he feels about sizing? He bought a 42L coat - what size does he normally wear in men's suits for instance?
I'm 6'6" 190lbs and buy 42L suits, then have them heavily altered to fit. My chest isn't 42, but I have to buy a 42L to get the length I need. I bought the bridge coat in 42L fully expecting to have it altered, but my tailor said it fit perfectly, knowing that I like a slim fit. So the only alterations to the bridge coat were new buttons and taking off the shoulder loops. No structural changes at all.

Peacoat

Bartender
Nice photos TEB. Are you wearing your suit/sport coat under the Bridgecoat? The fit looks mighty trim.

Dinerman: I don't recognize those buttons. And the "four stripes" on the sleeves aren't of recent origin. What is the provenance of this Bridgecoat? Interesting coat.

EarlGrey

New in Town
Does anybody know if the Flying Cross by Fechheimer bridge coats have any internal breast pocket?

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I picked up one of these in high school. It might have been my first clothing obsession. A spotless Naval Academy version. Bought it. Looked at it. Admired it. Never wore it. Someone else in the family ended up with it.

David Minton

New in Town
It's a WWII coat. Really heavy and high quality. The buttons are USN Medical Corps.

Actually, US Public Health Service. It is a uniformed service that uses US Navy uniforms, though with different insignia:

USPublicHealthService_720x428.ashx

I believe four cuff stripes (O6) indicates rank of Director.

danielcrmstr

New in Town
I just picked this one up. Dated 1943 and has the owners name. Do you know what one black stripe on the sleeves indicates?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21