Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U.S. Navy bridge coats

Peacoat

Bartender
Don't forget that the appropriate p2p will vary with different materials. For example the appropriate p2p is different for leather jackets than it is for peacoats. I would think the p2p of the bridge coat would be similar to the peacoat. Although, because the shells are of different thicknesses that assumption may not be correct. I have a bridge coat I could measure, but it has no size tag for reference.

C5Shark

New in Town
I think it would be a good data point to have if we can draw a correlation, relative to fit, of a peacoat and bridgecoat based on p2p.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Don't forget that the appropriate p2p will vary with different materials. For example the appropriate p2p is different for leather jackets than it is for peacoats. I would think the p2p of the bridge coat would be similar to the peacoat. Although, because the shells are of different thicknesses that assumption may not be correct.
I think it would be a good data point to have if we can draw a correlation, relative to fit, of a peacoat and bridgecoat based on p2p.
Modern day peacoats have a thicker shell and that insulation inside, so they're quite thick, but as far as I can tell modern bridge coats are just a layer of wool with a sateen lining, so quite thin by comparison with a peacoat. C5Shark, are you looking for new/recent or vintage? If the new/recent then just get your suit chest size (42) and length (regular or long). If you want vintage... well, that's not going to be reliable as many thousands of words posted by Peacoat in the "peacoat" thread will make clear, haha Also vintage bridge coats seem to have been mostly custom made, or made to order, so they will likely measure all over the map.

C5Shark

New in Town
I have found two from a seller on ebay, seemingly in similar condition, one with a tag size of 42, the other 44. I've enquired about his measuring methods and they are 22" and 23" p2p, respectively. Both are from the early 50s.

I was originally going to get the 44. But I'm gun shy on going that big (without a recommendation) because I goofed and bought a 1949 peacoat on ebay, tag size 44, without getting measurements (because my suit is a 44, so it'll fit right?!), and I was absolutely swimming in it.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
I have found two from a seller on ebay, seemingly in similar condition, one with a tag size of 42, the other 44. I've enquired about his measuring methods and they are 22" and 23" p2p, respectively. Both are from the early 50s.

I was originally going to get the 44. But I'm gun shy on going that big (without a recommendation) because I goofed and bought a 1949 peacoat on ebay, tag size 44, without getting measurements (because my suit is a 44, so it'll fit right?!), and I was absolutely swimming in it.
Yep, can't rely on your suit size. I have a guide to peacoat dating that has a section on sizing toward the end. Take a look at it and see if it is of any help to you.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...-dating-the-united-states-navy-peacoat.72058/

C5Shark

New in Town
Yep, can't rely on your suit size. I have a guide to peacoat dating that has a section on sizing toward the end. Take a look at it and see if it is of any help to you.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...-dating-the-united-states-navy-peacoat.72058/
Thanks, I found your guide after I purchased, and that's actually how I ended up in this thread too. Great work on putting all of that together.

Military fit might be okay at 22" over a tunic with little to no padding, but over a civilian suit 23" is more or less the standard for a 42 chest overcoat. And I don't mean tent-like 1980s fit either, I'm talking modern overcoats. I have a Brooks Brothers polo coat from a few years back and a new covert coat from the UK (which fits much like a bridge coat, quite trim) and both are 23" in the chest.

So for wearing over a suit, you think I would be wise to bid on the 23" coat? It's vintage from the early 50s if that changes anything.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
So for wearing over a suit, you think I would be wise to bid on the 23" coat? It's vintage from the early 50s if that changes anything.
That's something only you can decide. However 23" should be fine for a size 42... but, as per Peacoat's info on peacoats, sellers don't always measure accurately or consistently, so it might not actually be 23". That's sorta the risk you take with buying old stuff over the interweb. Remember to check sleeve length, too, which is another factor, and at least in civilian coats Regular length sleeves are shorter on vintage coats than on modern coats.

Peacoat

Bartender
I just measured the p2p of my Bridgecoat. It is 23.5. My chest is 40/42 and it is a good fit over a sport/suit jacket. So, if your chest it the same size as mine, it should be a decent fit.

As the Doc says, make sure to get other measurements as well, especially sleeve length, as some have been altered to make shorter. Ask me how I know.

Last edited:

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I just measured my Bridge Coat made by the Davis Clothing Co for a 1968 contract.
DSCN6435 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
It's marked 40L and my chest, over a shirt, is around 41. On the outside, across the front from side seam to side seam it is 20.5" . Across the back and including the two side panels it is 22.5". So that would be 43" around the chest, on the outside. The shoulder to shoulder is 18.25. The length from where the collar is attached to the bottom hem is 49". The sleeves from shoulder seam to cuff are 27.5"

I would say it fits very well over a shirt, is somewhat tight over a blazer.

Michael

Peacoat

Bartender
When measuring the p2p, we lay the coat out on a flat surface, such as a bed, pull the fabric tight equally from the front and the back, let the fabric relax and take the measurement directly under the armpits across the chest. We disregard all seams and get an equal amount of material from both the front and the back. That is the elusive p2p measurement. It is one half of the outer measurement of the garment.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Based on Michael's description of what he did I think his result is accurate, if not orthodox, and we can simply take 43" and divide it in half, which would be the pit-to-pit. And 21.5" pit-to-pit for a size 40 sounds about right, so for me at least it passes the sniff test.

Anyways, it's a really great coat. Michael always finds the best stuff and it always fits him well, which is a testament to not eating too many cheeseburgers.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Finally, some good pics of the lightweight version of these coats, which you see being worn in some photos taken at the Army/Navy Game. The listing said "gore tex" and whether or not it's actually gore-tex these appear to be a lightweight waterproof version.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I notice the tag says, "With Liner." Does it still have the liner? Mine does not, unfortunately.
That photo is from a current e-bay listing, to be honest I didn't pay attention to the details. You could probably make a liner, if you were handy with a sewing machine. Not worth paying a professional tailor, though.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Can a new Bridge Coat be purchased from the manufacturer ?
I've searched but neither me nor anyone here has been able to i.d. the supplier (as per Peacoat) so it's a mystery. These coats seem to be sold via the DSCP stores or whatever they're called, so the have tags for that, not the manufacturer. Getting one used is probably the only way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24