Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U. S. Wings sale

Well, I feel more than a little bit deceived by those people at U.S. Wings. First they email me saying they have a lamb Indy jacket in XL. When I call they say, no, they've been flying out the door and all we have left in your size is a goat A-2. So I order one of those, although I would have preferred the Indy. After reading a few subsequent posts here regarding sizes I figured I'd call 'em back and see what they have in L. Nothing, the gal says.
And now, the following week, they suddenly have all these additional "factory seconds." Just call me Joe Chump, I suppose.

griffer

Practically Family
Finally, the karma seems to have turned.

Sorry, no pics yet, but my vintage cowhide fits like a glove.

The jacket is truly a perfect fit.

My only comment on it is the leather isn't quite what i expected, this was true of the regular goat as well. It is 'lighter' in color than then pics on the website.

It is also incredibly soft. For some this is a plus, but i was expecting a more rugged hide.

All that aside, fit and appearance is awesome, the wife was amazed.

:)

With that said, can i rub mink oil on it to darken it up?

fishmeok

Vendor
This is the XL goat Indy- just arrived last night, as you can tell from the bags under my eyes...
First impressions were not positive, the goat is stiff as cardboard and made me look like I had shoulderpads. I decided to not mess around and threw the whole thing into the wash, then dried it on the "gentle" cycle for a while. WOW! I couldn't believe the difference. The jacket drapes nicely, Fits better, and has softened up considerably. The lining is pretty cheesy- I tore a seam just by stretching out a little. Not a big deal though, I was able to use the hole to pull all the cotton batting around the armpits out, making the jacket more of a natural looking fit. I scalloped the pocket flaps a bit, stretched the arms to where I like them, and stretched the side cinch straps about an inch (wet goatskin will stretch like silly-putty and stay that way). The finish is made to come off and reveal the lighter color underneath (there is even a tag inside explaining this) and I think it's going to be incredible in a few months. I'm pretty darn happy for $100.
After washing and a little custom fitting:

DSCN0921.jpg

Sidestrap cinched too tight:

DSCN0923.jpg

skbellis

One of the Regulars
"G-2" Jacket

Just received my clearance "G-2" jacket today. I was pleasently surprised. When I ordered it the Sarge said it the hide was from Venezuala and more like kidd leather ( i.e. glove leather). The jacket fits great, very comfortable and looks great. It is that leather that supposedly ages (tag with explanation inside). When I emailed them when this was first posted they didn't say anything about having an Indy Jackets in my size (48, their XXL), but after reading all of these other reports I am going to call them for a follow up. Thanks for pointing out the sale Michaelson.

---Scott

P.S. There was also a US Wings baseball cap and a copy of Sgt. Hacks book "The Life of a Warrior" included with the jacket.

fishmeok

Vendor
Yeah, makes me feel better about losing that W&G A-2...
Good thing about sniping programs, they make you stay within your budget.
Cheers
Mark

griffer

Practically Family
FYI- I just spoke to US Wings, the say mink oil is fine, spot test it, but I should be able to use that to darken my indy jacket.

warbird

One Too Many
It very well may, in fact probably will, darken it. But it will also be disastrous for the leather. Modern mink oil is terrible for leather.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Jacket Availability

Just so you all know the jackets that are available might depend on who you talk to at US Wings. I called about the Indy Jacket and was told by Katie that it was available only in lamb. I called back a little while later and spoke to Tina and she said it was still available in Goat, Lamb, Horse, and maybe antique cow. I ordered a Horse (first Horse jacket). Can't wait till it gets here. Can't beat the price.

---Scott

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
griffer said:

I'd be curious to hear, too. I have put a lot of
mink oil on my leather jacket with no harm done.
However, that mink oil was all from a company
(out of Oregon I think??) that seems to no longer
make mink oil as of a couple of years ago. I have
heard that the other products called "mink oil" are
inferior.

Would like to know more.

One thing to note is that the mink oil will waterproof
your jacket. If you want the leather to breathe, you
might go with Lexol. But I don't think that will darken it much.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Being an animal product, mink oil can start breaking down leather fibers with use, and in our humid Southern states, actually attracts bugs. They love the stuff....that and neatsfoot oil.

Lexol, Letaps (unfortunately it's only available in England) or Pecards are great products for use, as they're all pH balanced and won't cause harm to the leather. There are others, I'm sure, but these 3 have been winners for me.

Regards! Michaelson

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Damn Scotrace !!!

5290 Posts, your the man!! Well I wondered why I couldnt get connected with the Customer Service people. Now I know why, everyone in the free world was ordering their A2's and some others. I thought I was of reasonable intelligence, but I didnt see the import thing from "Sarge" Guess it doesnt matter too much. Just wear the thing and enjoy it, when I get it that is!!!

ideaguy

One Too Many
I'm very tempted to try and buy an Indy goatskin in Black-normally take a 44R-what's the exchange rate on sizes- go up one, down one? and has anyone
called them in the last couple of days? I'd like to get one, but tired of the
run-around....give me a holler if you can help?? thanks[huh]

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
BLACK? Oh my gosh, I never asked color!! Mine could be BLACK?

ACK!

That would be like those GREEN Indy jackets Wested can't give away!!!

griffer

Practically Family
ideaguy said:
I'm very tempted to try and buy an Indy goatskin in Black-normally take a 44R-what's the exchange rate on sizes- go up one, down one? and has anyone
called them in the last couple of days? I'd like to get one, but tired of the
run-around....give me a holler if you can help?? thanks[huh]
+

i am a 44R and mine LARGE fits perfectly. See page 1-3 of this thread. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy