Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UK/Euro sellers of G-1 Flight Jackets and questions

octopus_luke

Familiar Face
Hey guys,

Big time fan, first time poster. I'm looking to break up my days of 1945 Peacoat wearing with a new purchase - a vintage G-1.

I'm not exactly fussy when it comes to age of the jacket, but I'd like 60's or earlier. Condition is a top priority, size 38, with a real mouton fur collar, thick goatskin (as this will be worn as a lighter winter jacket) and side pockets (are these featured in proper G-1 jackets? This is a feature for which I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.)

I'm London born, but now based in Copenhagen. A local seller is obviously preferable.

Maybe it's a bit of a rarity, but I'd like to pick one up for £150 or less ($250). Would love to get any feedback and advice from all you esteemed experts over here.

Thanks in advance!

octopus_luke

Familiar Face
G1 does not have side pocket. If you want a vintage one, I think the best place is eBay.

Hey zhz. Thanks for the clarification. What are the jackets with side pockets commonly referred to then? Civilian-style G-1s, or just plain imitations? To be honest, I'm interested in the side pockets as I'd find then extremely practical on cold winter walks.

Perhaps it's just not my week, but nothing on eBay has caught my eye really. I guess patience is my only resort!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Hey zhz. Thanks for the clarification. What are the jackets with side pockets commonly referred to then? Civilian-style G-1s, or just plain imitations? To be honest, I'm interested in the side pockets as I'd find then extremely practical on cold winter walks.

Perhaps it's just not my week, but nothing on eBay has caught my eye really. I guess patience is my only resort!

IMO the US Navy G-1 was not designed for cold winter walks. However, if a Naval aviatior were to do so, he would wear gloves. ;) Gibson & Barnes sells what they call a Civil G-1 that has side pockets. Military flight jackets, including the A-2 and G-1, do not have side pockets as military officers do not walk or stand with hands in pocket.

Last edited:

octopus_luke

Familiar Face
Hey Fanch,

Haha! That's fair. I guess hands in pockets would be the last thing you'd want from a Naval aviator.

Away from the side pockets then, does anyone know of any trustworthy web sellers based in Europe, preferably Scandinavia or Germany? By nature, I expect there to be pretty slim pickings for these types of jackets here.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
If I lived in Copenhagen, I would try to make a trip to Aero Leather in Galashiels Scotland and try on various coats there until I found exactly what might fit and work for the climate in which I lived. If you do so, keep an open mind regarding another jacket you might prefer over the G-1. And this is coming from someone who had a US Navy G-1 issued to him in 1966. :D

zhz

Practically Family
If I lived in Copenhagen, I would try to make a trip to Aero Leather in Galashiels Scotland and try on various coats there until I found exactly what might fit and work for the climate in which I lived. If you do so, keep an open mind regarding another jacket you might prefer over the G-1. And this is coming from someone who had a US Navy G-1 issued to him in 1966. :D

Copenhagen is in Denmark, Fanch...not that close to Scotland...

zhz

Practically Family

I secong Fanch, the G1 is not for cold winter. If you really want side pocket, go for civil version. G&B or schott make nice one. But they are more than 150...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Copenhagen is in Denmark, Fanch...not that close to Scotland...

Nonsense! Just a bit over 600 miles (1000 kilometers), mostly over the North Sea, and is almost the same exact distance from where I live in N central Texas to El Paso Texas. :D

octopus_luke

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the tips thus far. I'd love to visit the Galashiels, but I don't think I could stomach the price of both the flights there and back on top of the fantastic new jacket.

I understand it's not the most winter friendly coat out there, but we actually have quite mild winters around these parts, no colder than 15ºF and, with a toasty Submariner, I think that it could be pretty sufficient. Otherwise there's always the B-3, which I'm also considering...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
What I said about the distance between Copenhagen and Galashiels was said largely tongue in cheek as I thought the two places were closer together, although Cordwrangler makes a valid point. I think the older and well traveled one becomes, the less provincial one becomes in thinking and point of view. I don't really feel I am in a foreign country even in Canada except when I visit Montreal and Quebec City where French is largely spoken. However, I could say the same thing about New Orleans (and S Louisiana) as well. :D In all sincerity, I can say it has been a privilege being on this Forum and interacting with y'all!

thor

Call Me a Cab
There's Pike Bros and Noble House, both in Germany, and both with a good assortment of leather and cloth flight jackets (tho not G-1's as far as I know).

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, as others have said, the G-1 is not a warm jacket at all. The leather is close to the skin, and that sucks heat out of your body on a chilly day. Sure you could order a larger size and wear a sweater underneath, but then why not just get a different jacket?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wore a G1 all weekend over here and at times could have done with more warmth.

kojax

Practically Family
i have the cockpit g1 vintage goatskin jacket i think the jacket is warm the fur is not bog but keeps my neck warm nice looking jacket to

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy