Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unappreciated masterpieces?

Sounds like an interesting movie, FF, and I have never heard of it. I will watch for it now.

Hi, just checked, it is playing on TCM on Tuesday May 6th (you can go to tcm.com, search "The Children's Hour," click on "reminder," enter your email and TCM will send you a one week and one day reminder. If you watch it and remember, let me know what you think of it.

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Both film versions are great, but that's largely because of the talent behind the camera: Lillian Hellman wrote the scandalous original play, then the first film adaptation, These Three. The great William Wyler directed both film versions, and his usual skill with actors (Dodsworth, Dead End, Wuthering Heights, The Best Years of Our Lives, The Heiress, Roman Holiday, etc.) is very apparent.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Very interesting FF & DS, thanks for all this info. Something about FF's first post about it made me think of Hellman, and now I know why. I must have heard the title before, and heard that it was written by her, but never heard more than that.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Hi, just checked, it is playing on TCM on Tuesday May 6th (you can go to tcm.com, search "The Children's Hour," click on "reminder," enter your email and TCM will send you a one week and one day reminder. If you watch it and remember, let me know what you think of it.

Thank you, FF, will do.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
winchester73a_zps7a295cd7.jpg

Tarwater

Familiar Face
Ghost World, Bartleby and Billy Liar are among my favorite movies that I seldom hear mention of.

Nobert

Practically Family
I liked Ghost World, but because I had read the comic book series first, I had a sort of, "The book was better," response at the same time. Even if the book had pictures.

Tarwater

Familiar Face
I can see that. I'm reading it now, having seen the movie countless times already. When I first saw it, I was unaware of the book. Funny thing too -- the few people who do mention it say things like, "isn't that the one with Scarlett Johanssen and that other girl?" But I've always thought of it as a Thora Birch movie with that other girl, Scarlett Johanssen.

skydog757

A-List Customer
I had overlooked Enemy at the Gates until recently. I did not anticipate the intensity of the film; there are several scenes that surpass Saving Private Ryan as far as depicting the brutality and chaos of war.

A few posters have mentioned Paul Newman, my favorite actor. I highly recommend Nobody's Fool and, to a lesser extent, The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean. Both deal with the theme of not appreciating what you have while you have it but resolve it in vastly different ways. Neither lit up the box office and I never see them on television.

Last edited:
I had overlooked Enemy at the Gates until recently. I did not anticipate the intensity of the film; there are several scenes that surpass Saving Private Ryan as far as depicting the brutality and chaos of war.

A few posters have mentioned Paul Newman, my favorite actor. I highly recomment Nobody's Fool and, to a lesser extent, The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean. Both deal with the theme of not appreciating what you have while you have it but resolve it in vastly different ways. Neither lit up the box office and I never see them on television.

I, too, have always been very impressed with "Enemy at the Gates" - I was more engrossed, more absorbed by it than I was "Saving Private Ryan."

skydog757

A-List Customer
When I think of Burt Lancaster the first movie that comes to mind is The Professionals (1966). It also featured Lee Marvin. Saw it at the drive in with my parents. We rarely went at all, and when we did it was usually for Disney films, so that one sticks with me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner