Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unappreciated masterpieces?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
a different perspective is The Odd Angry Shot about the Australian SAS in Vietnam.

...the Australian chaplain's gracious remarks after receiving the team "cigar gift box". ;)

Ambush Bay, a film about a doomed Marine raider PBY insertion in the Philippines.
The knife card carving of enemy dead to conceal the infil, and later silent deaths of most of the team struck a nerve.

DNO

One Too Many
The Cruel Sea (1953): An excellent film produced from an excellent book. Definitely deserves more attention that it receives.

Feraud

Bartender
Unappreciated?!? I've known that Paths of Glory is a great film since around 1969. Probably the best early Kubrick!
I think it is unappreciated by the fact the general public apparently doesn't know the film. It's not often mentioned as a stand out in conversations about Kubrick. Heck, most don't mention it in talking about Kirk Douglas!

Perhaps it would be better known if some kid turned a clip of the film into a meme.. ;):eusa_doh:

Man Who Would Be King
Love that film! Reminds me I need to get it on dvd for my collection.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Come on, the "general public" doesn't know anything about anything nowadays! And this despite essentially instant access to all of film history (and history proper).

When I think of what I went through to get my filmic education - years of late-night viewings on independent and eduational stations, endless visits to the library for film books and magazines, constant runs to revival theaters (remember them?!?), watching 16mm prints in other buff/collector's living rooms - I just don't understand today's general public's colossal ignorance about seemingly everything that happened more than 15 years ago...

Feraud

Bartender
I absolutely agree with you Doc. Particularly the idea of instant access. I find little excuse to be uninformed when people have handheld devices with them 24/7. It appears the more information people have access to the less likely they will reference it. The gadgets that are supposed to make us more productive and resulting in having more free time seems absolutely wasted by most people.

I absolutely agree with you Doc. Particularly the idea of instant access. I find little excuse to be uninformed when people have handheld devices with them 24/7. It appears the more information people have access to the less likely they will reference it. The gadgets that are supposed to make us more productive and resulting in having more free time seems absolutely wasted by most people.

That's because fifteen-year-olds are only interested in what other fifteen-year-olds are tweeting or blogging. :p

DNO

One Too Many
That's because fifteen-year-olds are only interested in what other fifteen-year-olds are tweeting or blogging. :p

Unfortunately, it's not just 15-year-olds...it's 30 and 40 year-olds as well. Lots of them. Many have never seen a movie made before 2000 and the prospect of viewing a black and white film is simply appalling to them. I tried to describe the importance of the 1939 production year to a some people in this age group...it was like talking to a flock of sheep.

Unfortunately, it's not just 15-year-olds...it's 30 and 40 year-olds as well. Lots of them. Many have never seen a movie made before 2000 and the prospect of viewing a black and white film is simply appalling to them. I tried to describe the importance of the 1939 production year to a some people in this age group...it was like talking to a flock of sheep.

There is something bigger to society going on here. When I was growing up, history was important, older people's opinions were treated with more respect and cultural consistency was valued. Today, I assume history is taught in schools, but it just doesn't seem that this younger generation has the same interest in it (The History Channel didn't switch to reality TV to attract an older demographic). Technology has made older people seem silly to younger people (of course, this is over-generalized and there are many specific exceptions); whereas, when I grew up, older people where the ones with the knowledge, the experience, the perspective and you respected them and sought out their opinions. And cultural traditions seemed more valued - even "The Wizard of Oz" being televised was an event (each year). "Older values" were discussed with reverence; today, there is a general view that we have better "progressive" views and all the "old stuff" and ways of thinking are antiquated. It is way bigger than movies; it's an entire cultural and social mindset that has much, much less interest and respect in our past and its values.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender

Not all of them. I hire one of the kids from work to watch my cat when I'm away for one thing or another, and the last time I did this, I was very pleased to come home and find her right at home in my living room watching a black-and-white movie on my black-and-white television set. It may just have been the novelty value, but she seemed to be sincerely enjoying herself.

Never mind about trying to change the whole cultural zeitgeist, that's beyond hope. Work on one kid at a time. That's the only way to make a difference.

DNO

One Too Many
Not all of them. I hire one of the kids from work to watch my cat when I'm away for one thing or another, and the last time I did this, I was very pleased to come home and find her right at home in my living room watching a black-and-white movie on my black-and-white television set. It may just have been the novelty value, but she seemed to be sincerely enjoying herself.

Never mind about trying to change the whole cultural zeitgeist, that's beyond hope. Work on one kid at a time. That's the only way to make a difference.

You're quite right, of course. Not all of them. My thirty-year-old nephew is actually quite well versed in film, but he is a rarity unfortunately.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I hate to say it, but, it was the WWII generation, that mowed down a lot of our beautiful old buildings in our downtown. They wanted progress, they also gave us, the cookie cuter suburbs! I have noticed, in recent years, new young architects, that are designing houses with a nod to the past. I can remember friends who would never watch a silent movie, my own parents, born in the 20s, hated them. They never watched B&W movies after they got a color TV in the 70s. Come to think of it, I never saw my Grandparents watch any B&W after the 70s either and they were born in the 19th century! A lot of the history we were taught was bunk! Paul Revere, he was captured half way through his ride, of course, listen, my children, and you shall hear Of the midnight ride of Samuel Prescott, does not sound as good!

DNO

One Too Many
I hate to say it, but, it was the WWII generation, that mowed down a lot of our beautiful old buildings in our downtown. They wanted progress, they also gave us, the cookie cuter suburbs! I have noticed, in recent years, new young architects, that are designing houses with a nod to the past. I can remember friends who would never watch a silent movie, my own parents, born in the 20s, hated them. They never watched B&W movies after they got a color TV in the 70s. Come to think of it, I never saw my Grandparents watch any B&W after the 70s either and they were born in the 19th century! A lot of the history we were taught was bunk! Paul Revere, he was captured half way through his ride, of course, listen, my children, and you shall hear Of the midnight ride of Samuel Prescott, does not sound as good!

Bernard Cornwell's book, The Fort, has an interesting take on Paul Revere. He does not come out well. It deals with an action in LizzieMaine's backyard!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paul Verhoevem's The Fourth Man. It's a kind of dark, perfectly-structured Catholic fable for adults. One of the most mesmerizing films I've ever seen. With the critical success he met with from this picture, Verhoeven moved to the States and made Robocop, after which his career went straight downhill.

Veronica T

Familiar Face
Of interest to many of us here at The Fedora Lounge would be the haberdashery scene from Steamboat Bill, Jr starring Buster Keaton in which he tries on a succession of hats. Significant moments 14:19 — 17:30.

[video=youtube;vjl2Fj-_Hg0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjl2Fj-_Hg0[/video]

Buster's reaction at the 16:50 is because the pork pie hat is his trademark. At that time Keaton was trying to transition away from his 'The Great Stoneface' character just as Chaplin was trying to distance himself from 'The Little Tramp'.

FUN FACT: Keaton's trademark pork pie was a Stetson fedora that he cut down, reblocked and stiffened the fur felt with sugar water.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Of interest to many of us here at The Fedora Lounge would be the haberdashery scene from Steamboat Bill, Jr starring Buster Keaton in which he tries on a succession of hats. Significant moments 14:19 — 17:30.

[video=youtube;vjl2Fj-_Hg0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjl2Fj-_Hg0[/video]

Buster's reaction at the 16:50 is because the pork pie hat is his trademark. At that time Keaton was trying to transition away from his 'The Great Stoneface' character just as Chaplin was trying to distance himself from 'The Little Tramp'.

FUN FACT: Keaton's trademark pork pie was a Stetson fedora that he cut down, reblocked and stiffened the fur felt with sugar water.
Interesting! And welcome to the Lounge!n

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters