Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unappreciated masterpieces?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Some more mostly underappreciated Lancaster films: The Crimson Pirate, Come Back Little Sheba, Sweet Smell of Success, Elmer Gantry, The Train, The Swimmer, Atlantic City. Actually, there are plenty more.

Nobert

Practically Family
Life and Nothing But. Phillipe Noiret plays a government official whose job it is to try to account for all the unidentified bodies and M.I.A. French soldiers after WWI. He is very dedicated to his cause and strongly objects when the brass floats the idea of picking a random body for the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. He also begins to have feelings for a young woman whose husband is among the unaccounted for, who has been hanging around his office.

I saw this movie once, years ago, but it stuck with me for some reason.

skydog757

A-List Customer
Seven Days in May (1964). Tough to beat a film with both Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas.

I really enjoyed seeing them work together, but Tough Guys wasn't as good as it could have been. I think that they just saw it as a lark and played it that way.

I agree; Atlantic City was a great film.

Also, I loved Lancaster as Moonlight Graham in Field of Dreams. He was really the most compelling character in the film.

Last edited:
Some more mostly underappreciated Lancaster films: The Crimson Pirate, Come Back Little Sheba, Sweet Smell of Success, Elmer Gantry, The Train, The Swimmer, Atlantic City. Actually, there are plenty more.

"Sweet Smell of Success" - I'm always surprised this film doesn't get more attention. Good catch. I'd watch it before I'd watch the get's-a-lot-of-press "From Here to Eternity."

skydog757

A-List Customer
I really enjoyed Payback (1999) with Mel Gibson. Most of Gibson's films don't appeal to me, but I liked the tone, style and mood in this one. I understand that they released a director's cut in 2007 which I have not yet seen, but it's on my list.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Rob Roy, with Liam Neeson. I had to use subtitles, because the Scottish brogue is so thick, but it's a masterpiece, from start to finish. But not for those who are easily offended.

richieprimo

New in Town
A few that come to me are "Paths of Glory" - "The Set-Up" - and the more recent "Lock, Stock and 3 Smoking Barrels" from Guy Ritchie. The first two are "little" films that aren't as popular as they should be. The third is quite a surprising gem that flies under most people's radar.

WH1

Practically Family
Thief with James Caan, Tuesday Weld and Willie Nelson with a great soundtrack by Tangerine Dream. It is a visually amazing movie directed by Michael Mann in 1981. One of the most overlooked films of the 1980's.

Plus one on Monte Walsh, my favorite Lee Marvin movie, he and Jack Palance are great together.

The Lighthorsemen about the raid on Beersheba in WWI one of the last great cavalry charges.

Go Tell The Spartans starring Burt Lancaster and Dennis Howard, it is one of the most overlooked Vietnam movies and is interesting as it deals with the advisors war pre 1964 another one which is about Vietnam from a different perspective is The Odd Angry Shot about the Australian SAS in Vietnam.

Last edited:
A few that come to me are "Paths of Glory" - "The Set-Up" - and the more recent "Lock, Stock and 3 Smoking Barrels" from Guy Ritchie. The first two are "little" films that aren't as popular as they should be. The third is quite a surprising gem that flies under most people's radar.

Agree completely with "Paths of Glory." It is an intense and nuanced film that shows immorality, morality, values and ideology in their full complexity. And some of if not the best acting Kirk Douglas ever did (and, as always, a strong performance from Adolphe Menjou). Great call - it should be better known. I will have to check out the other two you mention as I haven't seen them.

DNO

One Too Many
Unappreciated?!? I've known that Paths of Glory is a great film since around 1969. Probably the best early Kubrick!

Absolutely...Paths Of Glory is often considered one of the finest anti-war films made.

Go Tell The Spartans is an interesting choice as well. Not sure if it reaches the 'masterpiece' level but it certainly was an excellent film and it is certainly unappreciated. Good choice, WH1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred