Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unbashed Open Road on eBay!

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
a question about doing the right thing

And, alas, too small for my oversize melon.

Speaking of which, I bought three hats from an estate and two were just right for me. The third is a vintage Stetson Whippet that is in pretty excellent shape. It is a steel grey, black ribbon, bound edge, etc. in 7 3/8, I sure wish it would fit me. I fear that trying to stretch it would damage it since I need to go to at least 7 5/8 so I decided to sell it.

Is there a spirit of comraderie at the FL that would suggest offering it in the classifieds here before listing it on eBay? What is the custom, to give other FL members a shot before eBay?

Thanks for the opinions.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
This is the preferred method of selling hats and making friends!

I recently purchased a Pilgrim fedora from another member offering it on the Lounge first. This way you know you're selling to someone who appreciates the hat and not just someone who's looking for a gangster prop for Halloween!

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Thanks for the heads up so to speak.That hat would fit me & I bookmarked the auction, but looks like a bidding war has already begun, plus seller has a reserve on it .Don't blame them as this looks like a great old Stetson feels like late 1940's high quality hat. Vast majority of Stetson Open Roads I've seen on Ebay appear like last 20 years variety. :cheers1:

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Johnnysan said:
I recently purchased a Pilgrim fedora from another member offering it on the Lounge first. This way you know you're selling to someone who appreciates the hat and not just someone who's looking for a gangster prop for Halloween!

Agreed. I'd much rather sell to someone on the Lounge, even if I maybe (and maybe not) could have gotten a couple bucks more from an auction. At least I am selling to someone who knows what to expect and who will treat the hat properly.

Speaking of which, where's the photo you promised to post? :cheers1:

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Dave Keith said:
And, alas, too small for my oversize melon.

Speaking of which, I bought three hats from an estate and two were just right for me. The third is a vintage Stetson Whippet that is in pretty excellent shape. It is a steel grey, black ribbon, bound edge, etc. in 7 3/8, I sure wish it would fit me. I fear that trying to stretch it would damage it since I need to go to at least 7 5/8 so I decided to sell it.

Is there a spirit of comraderie at the FL that would suggest offering it in the classifieds here before listing it on eBay? What is the custom, to give other FL members a shot before eBay?

Thanks for the opinions.

I'd like to it... it's just my size! And color!

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
I didn't know what I was doing!

I'll know in the future that this is the place to share good fortune. I've already had an offer on the hat and I really wasn't trying to stir the pot.

I'll keep my eyes open down here in central Texas for other sizes than just my own. It is a good thing to share bargains in hat hunting.

Thanks everybody.

Dave Keith

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Dave Keith said:
The third is a vintage Stetson Whippet that is in pretty excellent shape. It is a steel grey, black ribbon, bound edge, etc. in 7 3/8, I sure wish it would fit me. I fear that trying to stretch it would damage it since I need to go to at least 7 5/8 so I decided to sell it.

Hey, that's my size! Jamespowers probably has several Whippets already, but some of us, *cough* me *cough* don't have nary a one. :)

Brad

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Well, guys...I have to own up. I was the lucky one of us who got in the queue first. I contacted Dave almost immediately following his post. I just happened to be logged on and browsing at a very opportune time. Seems that this is the way I've seen previous sales/trades on the Lounge take shape - someone posts, someone responds, and the deal is made.

I'm not sure that I want to complicate the process with slient auctions and bidding wars. That's what eBay is for. I'm not just saying that because I was lucky this time...I've lost more than a few by logging in after the fact. This is a community of like-minded folks who share a common interest in preserving these hats. My vote is for offer, acceptance and done deal...just my two cents.

This will be my first Stetson Whippet and it is THE hat that I've been trying to find for a long time. (My avatar should make it obvious why I have a special affinity for the Whippet.)

Finally, a big "thank you" to Dave Keith for being such a remarkable gentleman. Dave called me last night to discuss the deal and I can't remember a time when I've enjoyed a more pleasant convesration. Dave is as decent as they come and is reflective of the type of members we have here on the Lounge. We're all lucky to share in such company.

:cheers1:

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Thanks, James! What can you tell me about the Stetson Whippet...sounds like you have a few of them, so I'm guessing that they're easy to get addicted to?

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
here are the pictures I sent Johnnysan

whippet002.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com">

whippet001.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com">

whippet003.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com">

Johnnysan said:
Thanks, James! What can you tell me about the Stetson Whippet...sounds like you have a few of them, so I'm guessing that they're easy to get addicted to?

Easy enough to get addicted too. :p I think I have five but I didn't go in and count. ;) I just like the wide brim, wide bound edge and tall crown that they all possess. They are a true 40s hat in conception but they lasted into the 50s with nearly the same style and grace.
Some don't like the look of the Whippet but I really do. I suppose it has something to do with it being the first hat I obtained as well. Unfortunately that was a 6 7/8 that was my grandfather's. I am glad to have it and remember he wore it a lot but it would have been nice to have that particular one in my size. It just hangs on my hat and coat rack.
So that's when I decided I had to have one that fit me and the rest is collecting. :p
A word of warning--the whippet lasted into the 1960s but not as yours looks. Stetson turned it into a crazy looking stingy brim that is just horrible to behold. They called it the Whippet II. Stay away from them. You might get mange. :p ;)
Here is a whippet ad from 1945:
1945stetson-whippet.jpg

I think you have what Charlie does. :p

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot