Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unbashed Open Road on eBay!

Siirous

One of the Regulars
Is it just me or does the crown in the whippet pictures look taller than the crown in the 1945 ad? Is that just the different bashing, artistic license with the ad or just my eyes seeing it wrong?

With Respect,
Rob

Siirous said:
Is it just me or does the crown in the whippet pictures look taller than the crown in the 1945 ad? Is that just the different bashing, artistic license with the ad or just my eyes seeing it wrong?

No, you are right. The Whippet pictured is blocked with a simple center dent. It takes full advantage of the height of the 5 inch or more crown.
The hat in the ad has either a c crown or teardrop block with two forward dents. That reduces the height of the crown. The crown also has a rake from front to back. The front slopes down toward the back and makes the crown look shorter.
So they didn't use artistic license. That is just the way the hat would look if it were done Charlie's way. ;) I could live with Charlie's whole outfit actually. :p

Regards to all,

J

Siirous

One of the Regulars
If only it got cold enough in Florida to warrant a coat like the ad. I pretty much whip out a light jacket for a month out of the year. Would be good for visiting family up in Boston that time of the year though!

Definitely a great looking hat, regardless of whether it's worn with a center dent or the ad's bashing, have fun wearing it Johnnysan; I'm sure it will look great. Now I've got to go find one in a 7 1/8 to be as suave as Charlie and Johnnysan! :cool:

With Respect,
Rob

Dave Keith said:
This looks just like Johnnysan's new Whippet, only in a slightly smaller size.
eBay item #8345805050

Someone in that auction is asking the right kind of questions. The remark about the liner crest is a good one. He doesn't know that Stetson wasn't making the Whippet in 1932 but that is immaterial for now. :p There is a big difference between the stetson logo from 1932 and 1952. The 1932 Stetson would have a liner logo like this:
1930s-Stetson-Box.jpg

The 1953 whippet would look like the previously posted Whippet liner.
The ad might look something like this 1951 Stetson Ad:
1951-Stetson-Whippet-Gray.jpg

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR