Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Universal Apology to Bald Men

deanzat

One of the Regulars
Growing up, I always thought that bald men wore hats out of vanity, and I viewed this as a character flaw. Yeah, I was ignorant and arrogant. It's a wonder I never entered politics.

Now that I'm bald as a cue ball and live in a place that goes from triple digits in the summer to mid-20s in the winter, I finally get it. I'm HOT! I'm COLD! A hat can make all the difference. Sitting in my little office this Fall, I realized that a hat determined whether I concentrated on my work or concentrated on my shivering.

And if you're going to wear something for practical reasons, wearing something of quality shows real character, in my opinion.

Sorry guys. I didn't understand.
Z

Ande1964

Practically Family
Accepted!

Remember, being bald and hatted is far better than fighting your condition with drugs, surgeries, rugs, and crazy combing!

Anj

I definitely get fewer sinus infections & head colds thru regular hat wear in fall, winter & early spring. My wife is on me about sun damage so the rest of the year, the brim is about shade. My forehead is larger, maybe due to hat wear but the rest is still pretty thick. My good buddy always wears a cap. My mother said wearing the hat contributed to his baldness. I informed her he wears the cap because he is bald! gtd

Slim Portly

One Too Many
My son, you are forgiven. Say three "Hail Hairy's" and practice your Hat-echism, go and doff no more, and if possible wear an Adam (the first sinless hat).

panama jack

One of the Regulars
I am 58 years old and my hair is thinning. As a matter of choice I shave my head. Living in New England my head gets quite cold without a hat.
I was never much of a hat wearer when I was younger but since shaving my head there is now a need even in the summer. One bad sunburn in the summer cured me of going hatless.
I feel I have grown out of the baseball hat style so I have recently switched to fedoras. It just takes a little getting use to the new look.

pj

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Many years ago, in my callow youth, I used to think I wouldn't care whether I went bald. Now I'm in my 60's, and I'm lucky enough to have a luxurient crop of thick grey hair. But I realized a long time ago that I shouldn't be so complacent. I long ago decided to be grateful for what I have.
Just as a historical note, I once read that when Napoleon was retreating from his humiliating defeat in Russia, when 90% of the 400,000 men who went with him didn't return, they said it was the bald ones who died first.
However, there are plenty of people who look very cool with just the basic horseshoe, or even the old billiard ball look. Edward in the UK is a fine example of the latter.

deanzat

One of the Regulars
Slim Portly said:
My son, you are forgiven. Say three "Hail Hairy's" and practice your Hat-echism, go and doff no more, and if possible wear an Adam (the first sinless hat).

I feel better already. Z

epic610

One of the Regulars
Napoleon and Baldness

is it possible the bald soldiers died first because they tended to be the oldest and thus the least able to withstand the cold, fatigue, hunger and rigor of marching in a blizzard that the Grande Armie faced on their retreat from Moscow? just wondering.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
You'd be surprised how many people actually believe that bald/balding blokes wear hats simply to hide their "shame". While it is certainly true that this does apply to some people, I'm sure most people here on The Lounge wouldn't fall in to that category.

As a person who is a rabid hat wearer with a full head of hair, it is pretty safe to say I just like hats! :p

deanzat

One of the Regulars
epic610 said:
is it possible the bald soldiers died first because they tended to be the oldest and thus the least able to withstand the cold, fatigue, hunger and rigor of marching in a blizzard that the Grande Armie faced on their retreat from Moscow? just wondering.

You lose a tremendous amount of heat through your head, regardless of age. I'm sure hypothermia played a huge role.

Edit: unless these guys are right: http://wildernessmedicinenewsletter...4/heat-loss-through-the-head-and-hypothermia/

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Dewhurst said:
You'd be surprised how many people actually believe that bald/balding blokes wear hats simply to hide their "shame". While it is certainly true that this does apply to some people, I'm sure most people here on The Lounge wouldn't fall in to that category.

How I wish that this great man would do one of three things: wear his fringes proudly, shave his head, or trade in those silly ball caps for some proper hats!

howardsmll.jpg
ronhoward.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Absolved.

My niece recently said to me, "Uncle, there's a fly on your fivehead!" After I swatted it away, we had a good laugh, and I corrected her: by now it's definitely a "sixhead." My last name is an Irish derivation of the word "bald" and all of my male ancestors had that attribute (!), so I've been resigned for years. Wearing cool hats would've happened anyway, though; they just look right, hair or no.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
As a member in good standing of the Lost Pompadour Squadron, I would like to request photos be posted of stylin' gents of the 20s to 40s era with nothing up front. There was something of a taboo against them in the media then, so you never see them in ads, films, etc.

Note: Seen plenty of pix of Ike, Churchill, etc. I need to know how a younger man would have worn his hair without a toop. (I used to plaster it straight-back, but now, what is left just flies up and makes me look deranged.)
352978889_ead6e295e2_o.jpg

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I have worn hats since childhood. My hair started thinning in my twenties.
Many of my relatives and a few others have commented over the years upon seeing my thinning hair when my hat was removed, "Grass doesn't grow well in the shade".
I think I'll keep using the shade..........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy