Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

calendargirl

New in Town
I'm new, so I apologize if there's already a thread for this.

Please share some of the more unpopular movie opinions you have.

Such as, I find Carole Lombard extremely irritating, and especially shrill in My Man Godfrey.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, a girl who worked with my Lab partner at the drugstore said that we couldn't live without seeing E. T. Both my lab partner and I claimed to be suicidal and weren't going to watch it. Haven't seen it yet, and am still kicking over more than 27 years later.

Later

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Smithy said:
I agree entirely Edward. Overblown, pretentious crap.

Probably a brilliant cure for insomnia though.

I'm with you both on that one. I would go further and say that is pretty much my opinion of all of Kubrick's output.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Lizzie, this is practically the first time I've ever disagreed with you!

But I love Bergman's films, especially his earlier b/w ones from the fifties and early sixties. I can't help it: when I was an up and coming film buff in the late sixties, his prestige and influence was enormous. Sure, he can be pretentious and overwrought at times, but his constant experimenting with dramatic form and his deep understanding of human nature is the real goods...

(I'm tempted to defend Kubrick and 2001 too, but Bergman needs my support more!)

Some classics that leave me cold:

Many of the most popular screwball comedies (e.g., Bringing Up Baby, The Front Page) strike me as noisy, grating, and downright unpleasant. (Yet I love all of Preston Sturges films, even though they use the same mile-a-minute pacing and dense dialog.)

And while I love most comedy shorts, I have just never gotten Our Gang/The Little Rascals at all: I am always aware that adult writers/directors are manipulating the kids, and that the films aren't being driven by the comic talents of their stars. Laurel & Hardy, Keaton, Chaplin, Lloyd, Chase, The Three Stooges, etc., have comedy emanating from their own genius: the Our Gang kids are just reading lines. Even as a little kid, I didn't like them.

But my all-time most hated genre is the Inspirational Sports Drama. I just can't buy into the whole sports-is-the-noblest-aspiration-of-mankind bushwa that these films traffic in, nor does winning the big game (fight, race, whatever) ever seem important enough for the dramatic freight that it's allegedly carrying. (I admit it: I am that rare creature, a totally sports-disinterested male. I am mystified at how large sports looms in modern culture... Of course, I know many people feel the same about fiction/movies/TV, so I guess it's a whatever-floats-your-boat thing...)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The charms of An Affair to Remember aren't apparent to me. Most romantic movies don't make sense, but this one is in a class by itself.

As for The Three Stooges or The Blues Brothers--put me in the I-just-don't-get-it camp.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Not necessarily a movie opinion (it applies to any form of the play), but I don't think Romeo and Juliet is either romantic or tragic.

It is a satire, and hysterically funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24