Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars
I suppose that comes down to personal interpretation - for me, the references to Rosaline put Juliet entirely in context as simply the latest fixation for Romeo...

That's how I always looked at it.

I always had more sympathy for Juliet, though. I don't doubt that she loved Romeo sincerely, but it was a very naïve love. I mean, what was she, thirteen? fourteen? Love at that age can be pretty intense, if misguided.

IncliningPizza

New in Town
I've got to think of older movies rather than newer ones because it is so easy to hate modern movies that everybody else loves.

I can't understand why anybody liked Forrest Gump.
I really didn't like Suspicion or North by Northwest (Hitchcock).
And as much as I love Katherine Hepburn, I HATED The Philadelphia Story.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
...............and I also liked "A Serious Man"......................

My favorite film of last year!

It has special resonance for me because I grew up in a sixties suburban Jewish environment and was bar mitzvahed in 1968... the flick recreates this time and experience with uncanny accuracy. But you don't have to be Jewish to dig the film (though it helps!) It's hilarious and has all the usual weird Coen Bros. flourishes, but is actually a deadly serious philosophical piece. And it's a bit of a skeleton key to understanding the Coens, since it's actually about the environment they grew up in, rather than being a knockoff of some genre (gangster film, caper story, picareseque road picture, western, screwball comedy, etc.)

Anyway, I've been recommending this movie like crazy... but it's definitely an odd film, even by Coen Bros. standards, and people seem to either love it or hate it.

eveready

Banned
My favorite film of last year!

It has special resonance for me because I grew up in a sixties suburban Jewish environment and was bar mitzvahed in 1968... the flick recreates this time and experience with uncanny accuracy. But you don't have to be Jewish to dig the film (though it helps!) It's hilarious and has all the usual weird Coen Bros. flourishes, but is actually a deadly serious philosophical piece. And it's a bit of a skeleton key to understanding the Coens, since it's actually about the environment they grew up in, rather than being a knockoff of some genre (gangster film, caper story, picareseque road picture, western, screwball comedy, etc.)

Anyway, I've been recommending this movie like crazy... but it's definitely an odd film, even by Coen Bros. standards, and people seem to either love it or hate it.

I recommend this film to all my friends. I get the same response. They either love it......or hate it. No middle ground.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
OK... Tried to watch Breathless last night on AMC. Jean-Paul is beautiful to look at, the clothes are awesome, France is beautiful. But that movie is ugly. I know it's arty and something of a classic. I just really didn't like it. I don't like movies that make me feel bad AND give me nothing to think about.

Also had on DVR Pandora's Box. I could almost say exactly the same thing as above on it. (Louise instead of Jean-Paul, though!) And I really do like a good sexy movie. Just not these two.

Meh...

Edward

Bartender
That's how I always looked at it.

I always had more sympathy for Juliet, though. I don't doubt that she loved Romeo sincerely, but it was a very naïve love. I mean, what was she, thirteen? fourteen? Love at that age can be pretty intense, if misguided.

If memory serves, Juliet was fourteen, Romeo 16.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
If memory serves, Juliet was fourteen, Romeo 16.

That is the main reason I have theorized that Romeo and Juliet is actually a satire, not a tragedy. That and the first scene is Romeo ready to die because Rosaline is ignoring him, which he promptly forgets about when he sees his new object of infatuation. How am I supposed to take him seriously like that?

rue

I'm not so sure that they wouldn't have been really in love. Life expectancy in the 16th century was 35 years of age. Juliet would have been basically considered as an adult and it was said in the play that she was of marrying age. Remember she was supposed to be engaged to Paris. She wouldn't have the same outlook a fourteen year old would have now as her life was almost half over.

MissMittens

One Too Many
I'm not so sure that they wouldn't have been really in love. Life expectancy in the 16th century was 35 years of age. Juliet would have been basically considered as an adult and it was said in the play that she was of marrying age. Remember she was supposed to be engaged to Paris. She wouldn't have the same outlook a fourteen year old would have now as her life was almost half over.

Rue to the rescue! You have a good point there. Still is the marrying age in some countries. 16 now in England and most of Europe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara