Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Updated) Hat report from WDW

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Next Sunday my wife and I will be flying to Florida to spend a week at Walt Disney World.We’re staying at the resort, and my wife will have her new camera, so I’ll post picks when we get back.

I am thinking of wearing my AB, but I’m still on the fence about it. I’ve been reading all the different threads, hats on planes, and so on but still can’t decide. Is wearing a hat worth the hassle having to take it off on half the rides, or is it better left at home?

Additionally, do seats on planes have high backs, or can you wear a hat without bumping the brim on the back of the seat? I haven’t been on a plane in eleven years, and needless to say, I’m a bit nervous bout flying. Worrying about my hat up in some storage bin is just one more thing I don’t need. If we had the extra time we’d be taking the train.

All of your thoughts on the subject would be a big help
Thanks,
-SH-

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Airplane seats have high backs, so wearing it on the plane might be a tad uncomfortable. You'd probably have to take it off to go on rides. I wouldn't wear it, but that's just me.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really hate to say this, but . . .

Rides on theme parks here are not places for hats, but the Aussie sun is relentless so you really do need a hat you can cover your head with for the rest of the time you're not on a ride. It'd have to be one that can be tossed aside, crushed up and beaten about all day, and that means . . . a ball cap. Well, they do have some real usefulness, I have to admit.

I'd still take the AB for the remainder of your time at the resort, SH. I just put my hat in my lap on a plane, but I guess that depends on how long your flight is (mine are seldom more than an hour between eastern cities here).

Sounds like a fun holiday! :)

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
There are only a handful of rides that you will have to worry about. Space/Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom, MAYBE Test Track at Epcot, and the Aerosmith Rockin' Roller coaster at MGM, where you will lose your hat in less than two seconds;) . If you do need to take it off, the rides have some sort of bag in the front of your seat to put your things away. Take the AB.

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Take the AB. I went to Florida without my hat the first time I went. You will be upset when you get there if you do not. About the only place you will get a hat down there when you realize that you should have brought it after all, will be the theme parks - and you know about those hats. Leave it at the hotel when you go on the rides.

As far as the airplane ride goes, the hat can sit upside-down between your thighs. That way when you drop some of your in-flight peanuts, they will be captured in the crown of your hat. I travel like that all the time. When you want to sleep, the seat goes back a bit and the hat covers your eyes.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For myself I would never travel without a hat. If you are concerned about airplanes, the rides and it getting crushed, go out and buy yourself a Tilley and take that instead. It is crushable so you can have it in your case going down there and it has a chin cord to keep it on your head for slower rides and you can take it off and wrap the cord around your wrist for the faster ones. Its what I do when I go to The Capital-X and the Calgary Stampede and Exhibition.
http://www.tilley.com/
If not, just bring a beater you don't mind getting crushed a little.

Johnny

anon`

One Too Many
I'd bring the hat, also. I'm in the habit of just setting it on my lap for flights, as I haven't any particular use for the tray. Just don't wear it on days you'd expect to go on rides. For those days, you go a little more casual with a newsboy or pub cap! Those you can sit on for the duration of the ride :)

Michaelson

One Too Many
Take the hat. I always put mine crown down on the floor under the seat in front of me. Never a problem.

Your hat is fashion statement, that's true, but it's a tool for daily use. Use it.

Regards! Michaelson

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Take the hat. I often wear hats on planes, and it has never been a problem.

And on the rides - do the same thing you'd do with a baseball cap. Hold it in your hand.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Fedora @ Disney

We go to Disneyworld a lot & IMO:

1. A ballcap is a better play with all the rides! :eusa_clap

2. Will people notice a fedora in the crowd. A big NO on that one. [huh]

3. If you want some vintage type pics in front of the deco facades
@ MGM MAYBE. :rolleyes:

4. Its your hat, its your head, its your call! :)

Above all else have a GREAT Disney time! :D

SC ;)

Mindraker

Familiar Face
It's less of a question of a hat than it is a question of suntan lotion. If I recall when I was a kid, we spent lots of time in lines in the sun waiting for the next ride/event at Disney. Since you're from Arizona, I'm sure you can relate to this. Sure, a hat might protect your face a little, but your neck and arms will burn up.
I travel so light that a hat is nothing to worry about.

art92101

One of the Regulars
Airplane hat

I'd take the hat!
the fedora makes you easier find by your loved one(s). My wife can always find me even in swamped NYC museums.
My trick for air travel is to bring a messenger or back pack/I place my hat no top of my fairly flat luggage or folded jacket.
I always get an aisle seat and place my luggage in the storage across from me so it is in my eyeball range. just to make sure someone doesn't park their junk on my hat. Always works for me.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Thanks everybody, for the input. You’ve all really helped me make up my mind to take the AB.

I guess I can always leave it in the room if I decide not to wear it that day…

House keeping can wear it while they’re cleaning the room; or call other hotel employees up and they can take turns trying it on, it’ll give ’m all a good laugh. :eek: (so what, I’m a little paranoid)

Mindraker,
Being from AZ I always have sun block. SPF 45. I’m the only person I know that when I go to the beach in San Diego, I leave lighter than when I got there.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Well, I’m back from WDW. I took the AB, and was glad I did. It kept the sun and rain off nicely. On the plane it rode on my lap, or on the tray table, no problem at all. On the rides I just held it in my hand. The weather was perfect, mid 70’s with 60% to 80% humidity. Low to mid 60’s at night, perfect hat weather. It rained Thursday afternoon and evening and the AB held up great. No taper, it didn’t even loose its shape. Everyone else was running for cover while I enjoyed a nice stroll. The hat was still a little damp in the morning though, so on Friday I left it in the room to dry and went hatless.

Now for the comment’s;

I got called Indiana Jones about half a dozen times, mostly by park employees, and while we were waiting for Fantasmic to start some high school girl called me Mr. Jones.

At the gate for Animal Kingdom, there was this robotic talking palm tree moving around heckling people in this cheep robotic voice, as they were waiting to get in. I could see it coming, and was hoping to get through the gate before it spotted me. I wasn’t that lucky. Just as I was about to go through the turnstile, the palm tree yells out, “look every body, Indiana Jones!” it proceeded to hum the entire Raiders March, then said, “See the new movie, Indiana Jones and the talking palm tree.” The crowd got a good laugh.

As we were leaving EPCOT, the lady working the gate commented, “nice hat, great retro look, I have one just like it” I said thanks, but didn’t have time to stop and chat. It had been a long day (that place is huge), and we were running to catch the bus back to the hotel. At least someone got it.

As soon as I have a chance I’ll post some photos, probably after Christmas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy