Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buffalo bill's hat

pjt113

One of the Regulars
My wife and I vacationed in Wyoming this September. We took in the Buffalo Bill museum on one of the days and I captured a pic of Buffalo Bills hat. According to the sign it's a Boss Of The Plains Stetson, 4" crown with a 4" brim
In doing some reading apparently this was the hat of choice in the old West. Does anyone have modern version of this hat? I'm toying with the idea of acquiring one to add to my collection.

pjt113

One of the Regulars
uploadfromtaptalk1415473200189.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Also, the label of "Boss of The Plains" is incorrect. That refers to a style with a short, uncreased crown and a flat brim.

William Cody had a lot of hats. The ones that survived from his later life and posed for modern photographs seem to be rolled brim Stetson westerns with a tall crown. These show up for auction (depending on your size). You might visit the pre-1940s Stetson western hat thread for ideas. If you can't find an old one that suits you, I'm sure Buckaroo Hatters could come close.

fedoracentric

Banned
My wife and I vacationed in Wyoming this September. We took in the Buffalo Bill museum on one of the days and I captured a pic of Buffalo Bills hat. According to the sign it's a Boss Of The Plains Stetson, 4" crown with a 4" brim
In doing some reading apparently this was the hat of choice in the old West. Does anyone have modern version of this hat? I'm toying with the idea of acquiring one to add to my collection.

This is why I sometimes hate museums. If the photo you showed us was indeed going by that description it was completely and utterly wrong. Not only is it obvious that the crown on that hat is taller than a low four inches, it is also not a Boss of The Plaines styled hat.

Once I went to a museum in Indiana and viewed a "Civil War" display filled with wonderful items none of which were Civil War and ALL of which were Spanish American war.

I've seen many museum descriptions wrong like that over the years.

Amusingly, I had a friend who worked for a museum in the 1990s and I was at his place once and a collections curator came up to me with a US trench knife and asked if I could tell him about when it was made. After looking it over for a few quick seconds I told him it was made in 1914. He said, "gosh, how can you be sure." I replied, "because it is stamped US 1914 right here."

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

You can always have one custom made.

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
This is why I sometimes hate museums. If the photo you showed us was indeed going by that description it was completely and utterly wrong. Not only is it obvious that the crown on that hat is taller than a low four inches, it is also not a Boss of The Plaines styled hat.

Once I went to a museum in Indiana and viewed a "Civil War" display filled with wonderful items none of which were Civil War and ALL of which were Spanish American war.

I've seen many museum descriptions wrong like that over the years.

I understand a lot of air and space museums have repainted A-12 Articles being displayed as SR-71 Blackbirds.

frussell

One Too Many
I always wondered if the hat my great grandfather is wearing in my avatar was a "Boss." Since they often made you tip your hat back in old photos so your face would show better, you can't see the crown. Brim looks about right, but it could also be an unadorned Mexican sombrero, there were smaller models in those days. In later years he wore hats very much like the one pictured from the museum. Wish we had some in the family, but they're long gone. We just have his old woolly chaps, his Colt, and his 1880s saddle and spurs.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
That type of brim curl requires specialized equipment to make, it's not something that could happen naturally. The crown on a Boss of the Plains is much lower, and while over time many were creased, you can't get much of a crease in one due to the proximity of the crown to the head of its wearer.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
The crown on a Boss of the Plains is much lower, and while over time many were creased, you can't get much of a crease in one due to the proximity of the crown to the head of its wearer.
That 's why I don't like it. Also the Boss of the Plains seems to not have a 4" brim but a 3" or 3 1/2".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner