Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buffalo bill's hat

barrowjh

One Too Many
I think Art's HitchHiker OR ribbon treatment matches that ribbon treatment, and I know Buckaroo has done ribbons like that also. I am not certain that Art does the full kettle curl brim, but I know that Buckaroo does. So, it should be reasonably easy to commission a hat that either copies that hat or copies the aspects of it that you like, in natural beaver or sahara felt. I have been to that museum several times and it is really an excellent museum (actually, 5 museums); the western art museum is a must-see for anyone that is really in love with the american west.

This Work of Art is the dimensions of the the first BotP, 4" Crown, 3.5" Brim with pencil curl...
IMG_20121104_194937_455.jpg

fedoracentric

Banned
Since the BoTP was a flat brim, open crown hat, could it not be possible that this particular one received a crease and rolled edge over the years? It was quite common for hats back in those days to get creased, either intentionally or just from wear over the years.

No. Pencil curled brims are made by special hatting tools and not made by finger wear or hand kneading. And the crown in that photo on the fist page here is at least 5-1/2 inches or so tall while a BotP hat is never over 4 inches.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Frank, that's your grandpa? Could have been wild Bill!

Pt, I'd probably just get one custom made. There's a "museum" slightly easy of yours, near wall drug, that has a pretty neat display of some very similar hats. I will have to try and find the photos.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

No. Pencil curled brims are made by special hatting tools and not made by finger wear or hand kneading. And the crown in that photo on the fist page here is at least 5-1/2 inches or so tall while a BotP hat is never over 4 inches.

So what about this old add?

Sears_Ad_Fall_1900.jpg

My point being, today we associate a Boss of The Plains with a certain shape of hat, but in the 1800s, wasn't it really a model of hat made by Stetson that could end up being any number of shapes? The brim could be rolled or curved, the crown creased, dented to look like a campaign hat, etc, yet it's still a Stetson "Boss Of The Plains" model hat.

viclip

Practically Family

View attachment 20087

My point being, today we associate a Boss of The Plains with a certain shape of hat, but in the 1800s, wasn't it really a model of hat made by Stetson that could end up being any number of shapes? The brim could be rolled or curved, the crown creased, dented to look like a campaign hat, etc, yet it's still a Stetson "Boss Of The Plains" model hat.

It's interesting that the largest size offered was 7-1/2, suggesting that that was considered to be at the far end of the range back then. This is further corroborative of the body of evidence indicating that men's heads have increased in size making it difficult for many to locate vintage hats that fit. Personally I'm 7-5/8 thus the largest of those hats wouldn't fit me.

It's interesting that the largest size offered was 7-1/2, suggesting that that was considered to be at the far end of the range back then. This is further corroborative of the body of evidence indicating that men's heads have increased in size making it difficult for many to locate vintage hats that fit. Personally I'm 7-5/8 thus the largest of those hats wouldn't fit me.

It was the same in Europe (60cm or 6 1/2 Point the largest size). It might have been possible to special order larger sizes. Many here believe there was a head size change (I could maybe see a 1/2 size). Also men tended to wear soft and stiff felt hats differently (higher on the head**).

**Berlin early 1900s.

15572748727_43fe7b5e5d_c.jpg

Last edited:

Hard to know what is real from the stories and legends. Here is one telling (of many)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda