Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uptempo?

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
After ideas again, want some really fast swing-y, jazz-y things to play tonight. Last week had a few comments about the majority of the music being a bit slow. And for breaking in a new crowd.... I'm tempted to agree with them.

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
DJ, and more 'listen-y' than 'dance-y'.

Sort of solved the problem last evening by using 'retro swing' - the '90's and later versions. Seemed to go down okay, but I'd prefer to use the real thing.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Try Benny Goodman and some other stuff from the 30s. Also, Roy Eldridge, Woody Herman, Harry James. Some recommended songs: Minor Swing (Django Reinhart), Flying Home (Lionel Hampton), Jumpin' at the Woodside (can't remember who played it). Even Glenn Miller did some songs that were more hot than sweet. Do some searches here and I'm sure you'll come up with a lot more.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I suspect these folks want music that's faster than what some of us would consider as optimal for dancing. If they want really hot stuff, I'd suggest Basie, Basie and still more Basie.

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
Not really a dancing venue.....

I nearly bit at one point when playing Basie and someone asked for something a bit quicker,,,,,,:eusa_doh:

Think the customers are just missing the point a wee bit.

Last night was better.

Thanks for the suggestions.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
That's why the term Jitterbug was invented. It was a derisive term for people who just didn't quite understand the meaning of "Swing". Not that I'm being judgmental, or anything. ;)

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
It's cool insofar as the venue management say they want people who like what I play..... 'Cos they do....

I can be a wee bit dictatorial.

Must say though, I'm enjoying being able to play my wee 'niche'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran