Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Used Aro Highwayman, first tips?

redsox78

New in Town
Hi,

This is my first post on the forum (hi from the uk!) so I do apologise that it's a question, and no pics are attached...yet ;)

But I've been lurking and figured the experts on here might be able to help me with a quick couple of questions...

I just purchased a used Aero Highwayman direct from Aero. I am very pleased with the jacket. Being used it doesn't need too much breaking in and it has plenty of patina and nice wear hear and there. The jacket is here...http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/...e?page=displayproduct&subcatid=89&prodid=3284

All was just unsure on a couple of things. In a few places it has 'nicks' or small scratches that have broken the outside color. This is great - saves me doing it myself ;) but I was just wondering if these areas exposing the 'naked' leather need any treatment? A prime example is at the bottom of the zip fastening - it has rubbed through to the brown leather underneath the black coating.

Secondly it seems as if Aero have cleaned the jacket; it has areas of a white film on it that rubs away and it has a 'waxy' feel as if it has been re-dyed - some back wax comes off on your hand (though doesn't effect the jacket). Is there anything I need to do with this? Or should I just wear it and not worry :)

Sorry for the questions, but it's such an awesome jacket that I feel I need some instructions on how best to care for it!

Cheers!:D

P.s I DID search for similar posts but could't find any quite the same so I do apologise if I'm asking a common question.

Hi redsox78
My advice would be to contact Aero and see what they would advise.
However...sounds to me that a previous owner applied too much conditioner to the jacket(common practice)...thus leaving the white residue. About the only way to get it off..is to buff jacket repeatedly with a soft rag(Aero may have a better idea).
The old brass Talon could be hard to start..often causing rubbing of the leather at the waistband seam. The mark won't hurt anything. I wouldn't worry about it..but a little black shoe polish rubbed in well could help hide it(or other marks). Now Aero uses a different smoother zipper.
Looks like a nice broken-in Hwymn...good to go. Be wary of treating the leather with conditioner..unless dry areas appear(around collar,etc.) Aero's heavy HH can take alot of abuse before any "treatment" is neccessary..IMHO.
HD

Peacoat

Bartender
You might try putting it in the dryer on a no heat setting with a towel. Don't know if the tumbling action would be hard enough to get the residue off, but might be worth a try. If that doesn't work, you could try a slightly damp towel to see if that action would help.

HD is right about the conditioner, it just isn't needed, and often does more harm than good. These jackets ought to go 10 or 15 years, or longer, before they need any Pecards. Of course if it is your motorcycle jacket and it sees a lot of rain and sun, that time period may be shortened.

Whatever you do, you have a very good jacket that will give many years of service.

redsox78

New in Town
Thanks guys...the replies are really appreciated.

I've mailed Aero, but at the mo I'm just trying to buff it off - a nice bit of exercise...it's everywhere!:eusa_doh: Plus, it's leaving a black color on the rag, so I get the feeling it's had LOADS of black conditioner.

Having said that I'm not too bothered, I once had an Aero horsehide Levi's Vintage jacket that was stiff as a board, so the disadvantage of the residue is more than compensated by the nice aging it has. When I eventually get the gunk off I'll post pics:)

Here's a pic of my black Aero Longshoreman that I purchased off their "used Aero" page several years ago. Since then,it has aged even more..but in my view..has only gained charactor. Perhaps even with losing some of the dye from trying to get the conditioner overkill off...might not be such a drastic thing.
This jacket has had quite a bit of wear....

100_0415.jpg

HD

redsox78

New in Town
HoosierDaddy said:
Here's a pic of my black Aero Longshoreman
100_0415.jpg

HD

That looks fantastic!

Last night I manage to buff most of the body and although taking a bit of the dye off it doesn't seem to look any different - now more a matte sheen which is nice. Just have to tackle the arms this morning! :)

I'll reply with what Aero say - might be a handy tip for anyone who spots this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80