Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USN G1 Flight Jacket Sizing

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello Gentlemen,

Advice needed regarding sizing on service issue G1 flight jackets. I have seen a Star Sportswear Contract in size 48. I'm a UK size 46" chest, is it likely to fit? I don't know how the sizing works on these.

Thanks in advance.

Peacoat

Bartender
Hello Gentlemen,

Advice needed regarding sizing on service issue G1 flight jackets. I have seen a Star Sportswear Contract in size 48. I'm a UK size 46" chest, is it likely to fit? I don't know how the sizing works on these.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure of your exact question--the "UK size 46" chest" threw me off--but I will try and answer with an example.

I have a 42" (106.75 cm) inch chest. My 1962 Irving B. Foster is a US size 44. It is a good fit for me with room for a light sweater underneath.

If your chest measures 46" (117 cm), then a size 48 ought to be a good fit, if you like for your flight jackets to have a relaxed fit.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's the measurements from the military spec document, dated 1971. I have not been able to find a more recent document, although that's not to say one doesn't exist. You will note that no mention is made of Short or Long sizes, so I assume these are Regular only.

g_1_size_chart.png

Slide fastener lengths are quoted as follows:
36 and 38 = 21.25"
40, 42, and 44 = 22"
46 and 48 = 22.5"

The diagrams show two elastics across the back to hold the bi-swing closed (like the CWU nomex jackets have one elastic).

Last edited:

bn1966

Thanks for the example & chart Gents....answers my question exactly,

Sounds like it should fit (wouldn't want more than light sweater relaxed myself), now I just need to negotiate a bit with the owner ;-D

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Hello Gentlemen,

Thanks in advance.

All my Aero jackets (including the M422a repro) are a size 50.
My suit size is 48R. My issue G-1s are all label size 48. They all fit perfectly, and I can squeeze a T-shirt and a light sweater underneath. IMHO, a 48 will be big on you.

blazerbud

One of the Regulars
All my Aero jackets (including the M422a repro) are a size 50.
My suit size is 48R. My issue G-1s are all label size 48. They all fit perfectly, and I can squeeze a T-shirt and a light sweater underneath. IMHO, a 48 will be big on you.

I tend to agree, Mil Spec G-1 sizing runs large. They have action backs which provide for loose fit and movement. I wear 38, and my A-2's in 38 are way more snug than the G-1. I think a 36 would still do me on the G-1.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I have a slightly different experience. I currently tend to be a size 46 in the chest, but run right along the 46/48 border in G-1s. The thing for me is that the shoulders in the 46 can be just slightly tight.

This is a size 46 '73 Imperial...

I couldn't wear much underneath this without feeling the shoulders squeezing just a bit.

On the other hand, here is a size 48 2004 Pharr....

This one is good in the shoulders, but a little baggy in the waist. I can wear a sweater with this one though, though I prefer the more trim look.

Not issue, but just for comparison, this is the ELC G-1 (I know you have their M-422A) in size 46. In theory this is of a late 40's era pattern, the big feature is the broad shoulders with a comparatively narrow waist.

So, I guess the major criteria for me seems to be shoulder to chest ratio. If you are somewhat broad shouldered, the 46 may be close fitting. If you are not, then the 46 may be just right.

Last edited:

bn1966

Once again thank you Gentlemen for your input. Thanks for the comparison info & pictures Deacon, I have broad shoulders which has led to many jackets being purchased and then moved on. I recently purchased two XL service Alpha MA1s.....great on the body but too tight on the shoulders, found a 70s Greenbrier that gave an extra inch & that one has been kept. My first ever flight jacket was a service issue G1, back in the 1980's...however I filled out & the jacket refused to grow with me. I've recently started buying originals over repros and this has got me thinking about G1's again. Think I may take a punt on the Star Sportswear, being a larger size hopefully it will be easy to move on if it's not a keeper.

bn1966

Well that's the trigger pulled....now I've got to wait for the postman :-D

Thanks again everybody for your much appreciated comments.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Well that's the trigger pulled....now I've got to wait for the postman :-D

Thanks again everybody for your much appreciated comments.

bn, it looks a really nice jacket. Please post some pics that do it justice.

bn1966

Thanks Big J.....will get some pics up as soon as it arrives :-D

bn1966

Well the Star Sportswear G1 arrived today and it's a beauty! In great vintage condition and begging to be worn. What did surprise me is that although it's labelled (very faded) as a 48...measurement wise it comes in similar to a 46 E.G 25" across the chest & 20" shoulders. I must admit that I find the fitted look stunning and if I can get on with those shoulders then the jacket and I will be very happy together. At 20" the shoulders are the same as my ELC Roughwear A2 that gets loads of wear, some 20" jackets and I don't get on and get moved on...watch this space...I'll live in it for a few days and take it from there. Will take photos including fit some-time soon. One thing this has made me realize is that I need to move on my ELC M-422A..which I don't wear for some reason that alludes me...an original G1 is for me the way to go.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Congrats on the new jacket! I think the trim mil look is the way to go in these. Shame about the Eastman....it's a great looking jacket!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bn1966

Thanks Deacon, I definitely prefer the trim look & even if this G1 doesn't work for me...I'll be looking for another original. Took a couple of quick photos that give an idea of fit...will post some decent ones when time allows :)

Attachments

• IMG_0707.jpg
    IMG_0707.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 1,358
  • IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,319

Deacon211

One Too Many
Dude, that looks A.W.E.S.O.M.E on you, I wouldn't change a thing!

Not that it should matter one way or another to a Lounge wearer as people should wear what they like; but here's the pic I posted previously of me and my two compatriots on jacket issue day.

I think your fit looks about the same and squares off your frame in a professional looking manner. If you like the look yourself, I'd say it hangs on you just as God (and BuAir) intended! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn