Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vanson Firenze leather question

edqc

New in Town
i am a new guy from china decided to purchase a vanson Firenze leather chopper, is anybody know how thickness
and weght of a size M vanson jacket. also i wonder which craftmanship is better vanson or schott perfecto .Thanks

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The answers to these questions will involve opinion rather than fact. Although most here probably like thicker leathers, for me Firenze leather is better as it is thinner and more versatile for every day wear. It's 2.5oz as compared to 3-3.5 oz for Vanson competition weight leather. Unless you ride a bike, you simply don't need thick leather. I find 2.5 oz pretty heavy as it is. Remember also that thick leather does not provide warmth in the very cold as warmth comes from the lining choice or what you wear underneath the jacket. Leather of itself is really just a heavy wind blocker. Older vintage jackets were usually around 2.5 oz and have lasted many decades. As to Schott versus Vanson, models vary but I'd say they are similar in quality. Both products are made on production lines in small family owned factories. Schott has more prominent marketing. Both brands have loyal followers.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Good answer Seb. I've got a few Schott, and a couple of Vanson. I was really pro Schott for a long time, and they are a very nice jacket. I've started leaning towards Vanson lately. I ride a bike, and I would recommend Vanson over Schott for protection, and I'm really happy with the build quality. Both are nice, and if your not on a bike, you have lots of great, well priced jackets to choose from, from two much loved iconic American brands.

edqc

New in Town
The answers to these questions will involve opinion rather than fact. Although most here probably like thicker leathers, for me Firenze leather is better as it is thinner and more versatile for every day wear. It's 2.5oz as compared to 3-3.5 oz for Vanson competition weight leather. Unless you ride a bike, you simply don't need thick leather. I find 2.5 oz pretty heavy as it is. Remember also that thick leather does not provide warmth in the very cold as warmth comes from the lining choice or what you wear underneath the jacket. Leather of itself is really just a heavy wind blocker. Older vintage jackets were usually around 2.5 oz and have lasted many decades. As to Schott versus Vanson, models vary but I'd say they are similar in quality. Both products are made on production lines in small family owned factories. Schott has more prominent marketing. Both brands have loyal followers.

Thanks, man . i don't ride a bike, the dealer told me the med-weight jacket of my size weigh around 2KG whichI think it is still very heavy.
really in a dilemma, should i go for schott or vanson

I have both Schott & Vanson jackets. I much prefer Vanson as I consider them a step or two above Schott in overall construction and quality. However..I wear their competition steerhide as pictured below...

edqc, I would go with Schott over Vanson Firenze leather any day, due to the simple fact that I strongly dislike the latter. Firenze - at least the two jackets I've seen in person - reminds me a lot of the stuff Schott was making their Dur-o-Jac line from; plastic-y and excessively grainy kind of leather that doesn't look like it will develop any much character at all. On the other hand, Vanson heavyweight steer is some of the nicest stuff money can buy - just look at the photo HD provided, doesn't get any better than that - so yeah, personally, I prefer Vanson comp weight steer above Schott.

As far as quality goes, I have had several Schott jackets and I don't think their serious MC gear is in any way inferior to Vanson. Flawlessly constructed jackets made from thick leather, perfect stitching, etc., with some great features I've only seen on Schott jackets, BUT there is no arguing that the overall feel and appearance of a Vanson is that you're handling a heavier, tougher jacket.

Having said that, owning jackets from both Vanson and Schott, I honestly don't think much of the weight when I put on either. I mean, Vanson comp weight makes for a very heavy jacket, but it's still just that - a jacket. My Schott multipocket is over 5lbs and for a jacket that's... heavy, so keep in mind that Schott is right up there in the heavyweight class, despite what you may have heard.

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
I too have both Schott and Vanson jackets. All of the latter brand are constructed from the competition-weight cowhide. I do ride motorcycles but would buy the heavier weight regardless, as they all break in at some point, and I just like the more substantial product.
You won't go wrong with either brand.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The thinner Schott hide as used on their 626 long cafe racer is great too, very strong and develops character. I have this jacket and I prefer wearing it to my premium jackets, including Aero.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters