Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Jackets Serial Numbers

too much coffee

Practically Family
Does anyone know how to read Vanson's serial numbers that are usually stamped in the inner pocket area and also duplicated on the key fob that comes with the jacket? Geez that's a dumb butt question........everyone here knows how to read.
Do the numbers have a special meaning like the VIN on cars. The only thing I'm fairly sure about is the 2 digit numbers at the end would signify the year the jacket was built. 03 = 2003 07 = 2007 etc...

I fired off an email to Vanson some time ago and never got a response. Anybody shed some light on this?

Thanks!

coffee

Peacoat

Bartender
I just checked my Vanson. The last two numbers are *****02. According to your theory my jacket would have been built in 2002. That would be difficult as I bought mine two or three years ago, and it was new. I had to wait about five months for it. Back to the drawing board?

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
I've noticed that sometimes the size on the "serial number" does not match the size on the collar tag. Vanson told me to defer to the collar tag.

I can say from experience that on one jacket I owned a while back the collar tag was wrong and the "serial number" was correct when it came to the size. I sent the jacket back and did not accept it. I know what size I am. Maybe that was just a rare instance,*not sure.

Anyhow, that's all I know about the serial numbers. I do pay attention to them. They are merely one facet of many that makes Vanson jackets a few steps above their competition when it comes to rough n ready riding wear, IMO.

IXL

One Too Many
I just checked one of my made-in-USA Vanson Soprtrider jackets and can find no serial number anywhere. I remember it had a leather fob keyring with serial number stamped, attached to the front zipper when I purchased it.
All of my other Vanson jackets have the number stamped into the wind flap.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
BUMP for Wade (Mojo1975)

...LOL...

Vanson serial #s are consecutively assigned and have absolutely no reference to the year that the jacket was produced.

The seemingly bizarre nature of the serial numbers would have it seem that the serial #s are, in fact, random, but, again, they're consecutively assigned.

Hope that helps guys...!!!

If you'd like to know when your Vanson was produced, put up your serial #s and I can compare your jacket's serial # to new and vintage Vanson serial #s in our shop! :)

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
I just checked one of my made-in-USA Vanson Soprtrider jackets and can find no serial number anywhere. I remember it had a leather fob keyring with serial number stamped, attached to the front zipper when I purchased it.
All of my other Vanson jackets have the number stamped into the wind flap.

On the sportrider jackets, the serial # is usually on one of the pocket's leather facing...

IXL

One Too Many
On the sportrider jackets, the serial # is usually on one of the pocket's leather facing...

And right you are! I just found the serial number on the INSIDE facing of the right-side pocket. Thanks!!
By the way, the Vanson CHP you shipped me has been a great jacket. I would wear it more often but our recent temps are around 106°F

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks a whole bunch Wade!

#76656A**05

#58900A**06

#22931A01 (no asterisks between A & 01)

Whenever you can get around to it brother man.

Regards,
coffee

Okay...this is what is looks like--

Black and white label Vansons (1975 to 1979) have no serial #s whatsoever. From 1980 on, serial #s look to be ordered on a consecutive basis. For example, a four number prefix Vanson is much older that a five number prefix Vanson. I believe that your 22931A01 is older than your 58900A**06 and both are older than your 76656A**05. However, there is a caveat here--customs, such as our PLU-2s and PLU-3s that we carry, seem to be numbered differently from stock designs. So, if any of the above Vanson jackets are full custom pieces, the whole system falls apart. ...LOL...

And right you are! I just found the serial number on the INSIDE facing of the right-side pocket. Thanks!!
By the way, the Vanson CHP you shipped me has been a great jacket. I would wear it more often but our recent temps are around 106°F

No problem... Glad you're loving that CHP of yours! Beautiful jacket!!!

too much coffee

Practically Family
Thank you so much Wade.......I know researching those 3 serial numbers had to be labor intensive for you.

It took a real genius at Vanson to come up with that numbering system! It is worthwhile however, as several stolen Vanson jackets have successfully been returned to their registered owners.

Regards,
coffee

CeeDee

New in Town
It looks like I have an older four numbered jacket followed by the number that it was in that particular production run. Thanks guys!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Thread revival! It's been on my mind to ask this, but thought I would try again here.
I should probably just register my Vanson's, that would likely tell the true age

34490B12

Having trouble finding the serial # for the HD-model

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot