Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vendor Problems: Could use some advice

vintage68

Practically Family
So I recently sent one of my more expensive hats (approx. $500) back to the original vendor to reshape the brim just bit. I don't care for reshaping the brim myself with the ol' tea kettle in the kitchen method, I prefer an experienced vendor to do it with the proper machine and plenty of steam so the job is done right.

Anyway, when the hat arrived back to me today the brim was crooked, one side curling up higher than the other and thus throwing the whole symmetry off. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. It just looked lousy, as if the job was rushed.

How would other forum members handle this situation? Could this have happened in the shipping process? Maybe my vendor needs glasses?

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Hmm. Herein lies the problem betwixt subjective and objective points of view. Not unlike sending a poem back to the poet to change the tone of a phrase so it rings true in your mind.

Perhaps the ol' steam kettle has a purpose after all. Your vision is your vision.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Have you contacted the vendor? They may tell you that some hats have their own 'personality,' as many of mine do. I just let them have their way as long as the brim isn't wavy. If one side is slightly different than the other I just chalk it up to 'character.' And I do that stuff myself, with a spray bottle and distilled water, and a lot of massaging. YMMV.

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
A few ways you could handle this, depending on the circumstances. Most important question that comes to mind, is did you have to pay for the service? (Aside from shipping)

TipTop

Practically Family
I had a new Ritch Rand adjusted by the vendor before shipping. When it arrived, it was a bit crooked. I called and they suggested light steam and that worked, rather than reshipping it. If it is only subtly out of kilter, I'd try steaming it a bit and wearing it to see if it settles down, but I'd also let them know and ask for recommendations. If it can be photographed (flat surface, etc.) and on you, include that.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
First, I would not assume automatically, given the caliber of the vendors here, that the job was rushed. More likely it got off kilter during shipping; that's the inherent risk in shipping a hat off for a minor alteration. Honestly, I think you should pull out the kettle and fix it yourself.

What was the nature of the shaping that was to be done? Was this just a reflange?

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Everyone makes a mistake now and then.

I would say contact the vendor and sees what he suggests.

Like all have suggested,I would try a Bit of steam myself just as a learning exercise, who
Knows you may enjoy it.

job

One Too Many
Is it still that way when the brim is snapped down? If not, leave it that way for awhile and it may help correct the problem.

TomS

One Too Many
Reshaping a brim is quite easy. Tackle it yourself, and enjoy the accomplishment of a job well done!

vintage68

Practically Family
Thanks guys. It wasn't just the brim, I should have mentioned that. I also asked for the crown to be reblocked. The crown indentations seem to be off as well, so the whole thing just looks crooked. The crown, the brim, it all looks like I fell asleep on the train with my head against the window. Unghh. It's a big job, that's why I want to send it in to a pro.

gdc

One of the Regulars
I can appreciate your concern. After paying a professional to have the job done to your satisfaction, it's not. Although it may not be appropriate in this situation I side with the others in encouraging you to employ the DIY approach. Personally, although I don't mind paying the pros when something is beyond my abilities I find satisfaction in doing things myself. At the least, it helps me to appreciate my limitations.

dnjan

One Too Many
Is the crown allignment and brim distortion when the hat is on or off?
The reason I ask is that my head is not symmetrical - I jokingly refer to it as size 7-1/8 diagonal-oval.
With heavier/thicker hats, no problem, I put the hat on and then give it a twist until the center-line is lined up with my face.

With lighter hats (either felt or straw), this will cause a considerable "wonkiness" to the brim.

My solution was to have a custom band-block made so that any brim or crown work I do will be done on a hat that is distorted the way my head is shaped.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
If the problem is between your money and their work/product, you really have no choice but to deal with them until you are satisfied. Unless you want to let them off the hook and fix their work yourself (assuming the problems are egregious enough to warrant such a thing; as others have said, "Eye of the Beholder").

I would like to make this point though: reshaping a felt hat is like surgery. It's just not an exact science. Every one who attempts to reshape a hat might as well sign a waiver saying they understand that this procedure could go swimmingly.... or the patient may never leave the operating table...

Every felt body has certain characteristics that are going to make certain shapes, certain stress points, certain demises, etc., a likelihood.

Last edited:

thespoiler

One of the Regulars
I searched for awhile and eventually found a hat ring in the right size..... Now I do all my brims myself and so far has worked out fine....

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
If it looks that bad, you MUST talk to the vendor, hatter, whatever. Do it civilly, but be clear on your concerns. DIY is all well and good, but when you pay for services, they should be done and done right. I've had problems from time to time, but I give every vendor a chance to make things right. Some do so poorly, if it all. Others have become among my favorite vendors for their efforts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot