Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Found the perfect vintage Schott...now I could really use some help with the smell...

lomaxbernie

New in Town
I'd been looking for a brown cafe racer style Schott for some time, and finally found a used one that fit me perfectly. (Not sure why the pictures aren't right side up, sorry about that.)

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

photo 5.JPG

I'd guess it's 20 or so years old. I love the patina and look of it, but there's a musty smell to the jacket. I've been doing a significant amount of research on some remedies, but am seeing a lot of mixed information out there. I decided to try some of the more gentle suggestions before going into the cleaners/conditioners/etc. I tied the jacket in a plastic bag with an open bag of baking soda in the bottom and left it for several days. I also tried hanging it outside in a partially shaded area for the past several days. Both of these helped a little, but I can still smell the musty smell. I'm worried that when I actually wear it in the fall my wife won't be too thrilled to be standing next to me.

I'm getting to the point where I think I'm going to have to do some sort of cleaning to it. I was prepared to use armscye's method from the "Mould" sticky thread to give the jacket a good cleaning, and even bought the Woolite detergent. But I decided to read more about washing jackets and in other threads, including some on the Schott message board, others ridiculed the idea of putting a leather jacket in the washing machine, specifically saying how it would warp the lining and the jacket would never fit the same again. This scared me off of trying to put mine in the machine (also I have a top-loading machine, which apparently isn't good for the jacket either).

My next thought it to give it a cleaning with some Lexol leather cleaner, followed by some conditioning with the Lexol conditioner. I already owned the conditioner, but today I went out and got some of the cleaner and am prepared to begin the cleaning process. But, of course, I read some more claims about how Lexol made someones jacket brittle and ruined it.

It seems there are plenty of claims to the contrary about the Lexol, though. I've decided to just go ahead with the Lexol cleaner and conditioner, but thought I should at least see if there's anyone out there that could provide some guidance before I potentially make a mistake with this jacket. I know people say you lose some of the character and patina with the cleaning/conditioning, but at this point I wouldn't mind so much since it would give me the opportunity to leave my mark on it and put my own wear and tear on it.

PLEASE HELP!!

Last edited:
Don't put it in a wash machine. An old jacket like that, I doubt it would do it any good.

Why not have the jacket professionally cleaned? Can't go wrong with that and besides, it's what Schott recommends, anyway.

It's a beauty, by the way. Is this a horse?

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've never had much success removing the mould smell and I've used all the measures recommended on this site.

However, if it were me, I'd hand wash the jacket in a tub with a little laundry detergent (1/4 of a cap full), preferably a wool wash product (or pop in a little tea tree oil to help kill the mould) and then spin dry in a front loader washing machine. A top loader should never be used as they are harsher and have the agitator in the way, which can cause rips. Keep away from direct heat, it may take a few days to dry.

I would then use Pecards rather than Lexol as I've found Pecards does a better job on a vintage piece and really puts some oils back in. But don't use too much. If you don't have Pecards (it is also sold as Harley Davidson Leather dressing), Lexol is fine and many people swear by it.

Good luck.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These are good suggestions, but if I'd been looking for a certain jacket and then found a great one in my size, I'd probably not want to get creative with it. If it has a moldy smell it probably has mold. Spend a few extra bucks and take it to a professional leather cleaning place, or, if you have a regular tailor, ask him. Most dry cleaners claim to do it, but I wouldn't trust them.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Not having the jacket in hand, it's hard to be sure where the mustiness is coming from but chances are it's the liner. Is the smell more obvious when smelling the jacket from the liner side or the outside? If it's the liner, having it replaced while cleaning the leather currently covered by the liner will probably make the biggest difference. I'd recommend using the Renapur leather cleaner and then the conditioner all around, then have a tailor sew a new lining for the jacket. But this might end up costing more than what you paid for the thrifted jacket.....

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
If it is the inside of the jacket that is the source of the smell then I've found those 'febreeze' odour removing sprays to be good on some vintage items I've bought in the past.

lomaxbernie

New in Town
Don't put it in a wash machine. An old jacket like that, I doubt it would do it any good.

Why not have the jacket professionally cleaned? Can't go wrong with that and besides, it's what Schott recommends, anyway.

It's a beauty, by the way. Is this a horse?

Thanks, if I had to guess I would say cowhide, based on my research. But if anyone here might know better, I'm all ears. It does have nice depth of color, which I'm not sure comes through entirely in the pictures.

lomaxbernie

New in Town
These are good suggestions, but if I'd been looking for a certain jacket and then found a great one in my size, I'd probably not want to get creative with it. If it has a moldy smell it probably has mold. Spend a few extra bucks and take it to a professional leather cleaning place, or, if you have a regular tailor, ask him. Most dry cleaners claim to do it, but I wouldn't trust them.

I don't think the smell is mold. I can only describe it as "musty." My dad is a vintage car collector, and it reminds me of the smell of some of the interiors of those cars. I've had some trouble finding a specialized leather cleaning place in my area. There's plenty of dry cleaners, but as you said I don't know if that's what I'm needing.

lomaxbernie

New in Town
Not having the jacket in hand, it's hard to be sure where the mustiness is coming from but chances are it's the liner. Is the smell more obvious when smelling the jacket from the liner side or the outside? If it's the liner, having it replaced while cleaning the leather currently covered by the liner will probably make the biggest difference. I'd recommend using the Renapur leather cleaner and then the conditioner all around, then have a tailor sew a new lining for the jacket. But this might end up costing more than what you paid for the thrifted jacket.....

The liner really doesn't have a smell, which is good. When I was letting the jacket air-out I had dryer sheets stuffed in the pockets and armholes, which I think neutralized any liner smell. The smell is more of the actual leather, which is why I think a good cleaning/conditioning might get it to where it isn't too noticeable.

Did you check the tag? It contains info about the jacket, model no., leather type used, that sort of thing. You should be able to find it in one of the pockets. I'm asking because the leather resembles my horsehide Perfecto considerably more than any Schott steer I've seen.

lomaxbernie

New in Town
Did you check the tag? It contains info about the jacket, model no., leather type used, that sort of thing. You should be able to find it in one of the pockets. I'm asking because the leather resembles my horsehide Perfecto considerably more than any Schott steer I've seen.

Yeah, that was my first thought. As you can see in the pictures there's not much in the way of a model number or any other information about the jacket itself on the tags. On the opposite of the care tag there's the original owners name and address handwritten, and on the size tag it looks like there might have been something at one point but now it is illegible.

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

And here's the tag on the liner:

photo 3.JPG

Also I guess the jacket is older than the 20 years I suspected; I found this buried in the inside pocket:

photo 4.JPG

Yeah, that isn't saying much... It's the same kind of tag as in my Multipocket, and my jacket is from the 80's. Well, I guess schottnyc.com forum is your best bet right now. Give it a shot. Gail is very helpful and informative and I'm sure she'll be able to tell you more about this beautiful CR.

armscye

One of the Regulars
Hi Folks,

Sigh. Another moldy/stinky/smoky jacket thread in which every remedy from fabreze to ionic generators is proposed, while the obvious one is poo poohed.

I'm now up to at least 45 vintage jackets washed-- including a Seventies G-1 clone yesterday-- with zero casualties. You can search for my detailed pictorial threads on the topic, or follow the sequence below:

Use Front Load washer with Woolite Dark, set for Cold Water. Zip jacket. Remove by cradling with your hands after washing, air dry on padded hanger. I've done jackets green/gray with mold, returning them to fresh condition. The side benefit is the fabulous grain that emerges.

I know this always provokes a furious debate, in which numerous people with no personal experience frantically caution against washing a jacket. FWIW, I've been doing it frequently and successfully for ten years. I won't bother replying to the naysayers with the obvious arguments in favor of the practice -- that all leather is tanned via multiple immersion steps, that leather hides have been recovered intact after centuries in seawater, and that I've done it for everything from Aeros to Schotts to cheesy no-names. If you want to save the jacket, here's a proven, well documented solution. Take it or leave it.

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
Hi Folks,

Sigh. Another moldy/stinky/smoky jacket thread in which every remedy from fabreze to ionic generators is proposed, while the obvious one is poo poohed.

I'm now up to at least 45 vintage jackets washed-- including a Seventies G-1 clone yesterday-- with zero casualties. You can search for my detailed pictorial threads on the topic, or follow the sequence below:

Use Top Load washer with Woolite Dark, set for Cold Water. Zip jacket. Remove by cradling with your hands after washing, air dry on padded hanger. I've done jackets green/gray with mold, returning them to fresh condition. The side benefit is the fabulous grain that emerges.

I know this always provokes a furious debate, in which numerous people with no personal experience frantically caution against washing a jacket. FWIW, I've been doing it frequently and successfully for ten years. I won't bother replying to the naysayers with the obvious arguments in favor of the practice -- that all leather is tanned via multiple immersion steps, that leather hides have been recovered intact after centuries in seawater, and that I've done it for everything from Aeros to Schotts to cheesy no-names. If you want to save the jacket, here's a proven, well documented solution. Take it or leave it.

Take it!

And post some pics here of the result

lomaxbernie

New in Town
Hi Folks,

Use Top Load washer with Woolite Dark, set for Cold Water. Zip jacket. Remove by cradling with your hands after washing, air dry on padded hanger. I've done jackets green/gray with mold, returning them to fresh condition. The side benefit is the fabulous grain that emerges.

I was fully prepared to do your method, like I said I even bought the Woolite! But then I researched myself in a circle and read too many posts about warped linings and shrinking sleeves. You seem pretty steadfast about your method, though, and I think that I am going to try it. I will search for your other guides with the details and pictures, but by following this process you've never encountered problems with the liner or the leather shrinking?

tommyK

One Too Many
Hi Folks,

Not only have I done this but I've put it in the dryer as well (just air and then with heat) in the hopes of shrinking it a little. Didn't shrink at all. Don't be afraid. Of course a really delicate rare vintage coat might not be right for this treatment but most can take it.

For what it's worth, the only jacket I've machine washed was an old Schott Dur-o-Jac CR - it had a nasty smell but I was also hoping that the jacket would shrink a little because it was too big for me - and literally the only thing that happened to the jacket was that the smell disappeared so... While I can safely say that I've encountered zero problems with machine washing this particular jacket, I cannot claim that you'll get the same results with some other jacket.
I've seen some pretty horrible results from machine washing the jacket, you can look for it online, ranging from wonky zippers and lining drooping out of the sleeves to permanent stains and ripped stitching, etc. and I certainly wouldn't want risk this happening to any of my jackets.

Then again, armscye obviously has the experience in the matter so perhaps it is a completely safe method after all. Hey, if you got it cheap, give it a go. From my understanding, this sort of damage only occurs to thin, crap hides so I'm willing to bet that you don't have to worry about it when it comes to Schott.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran