Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Very Early" Leather Jacket, Any Idea of Age/Make?

Rolleiguy

New in Town
Hi, I found this old leather jacket at a Maine Barn sale, its quite old and worn, but still a nice collectible! I am attaching some pictures for reference. I'm trying to get an idea of a time frame it was made or a maker? Unfortunately, the inside liner was torn out/missing, so there is no tags on it for identification. The back-side of the collar has a wool-like material and it is also inside the sleeves. There is cordoroy on the inside are bellow the collar. It has 3 metal grommets under each armpit area. Thank You!
Picture013-20.jpg

Picture014-20.jpg

Picture029-7.jpg

Picture023-6.jpg

Picture022-8.jpg

Picture021-8.jpg

Picture020-9.jpg

Picture024-7.jpg

sportride67

New in Town
Beautiful hide! I'd say it looks horsehide and its from the 1950's. The liner is also a clue that appears to date it besides just the basic style. Those cuffs are probably the big clue that will date it to that era. I just don't know if you'll be able to identify it positively.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This jacket has loads of character! There is no way of telling if its horsehide or stearhide without a scientific test on the leather. Is there any reason why it is not earlier than the 1950s?

Rolleiguy

New in Town
Thanks for all of the information, this is a really nice forum wit lots of good information. I don't know if it is wearable, the leather is pretty old and cracked, musty odor? It also has a small tear in the leather on the right chest area... I'm sure it would be a good one for "display only" if someone actually does collect these old leathers for that purpose? It spent too much time hanging in the old building, unfortunately! At least I have a time frame for it.

Rolleiguy

New in Town
Peacoat said:
I agree with Sportride that it is HH. Looks like it could use a drink of Pecard. A nice find. And welcome to the Lounge.
Thanks Peacoat! I love this site... I do come across old clothing from time to time, and actually found a very nice US Coast Guard Peacoat just recently, it is definitely WW II by the information you posted on an earlier thread ( good info by the way!).... and I just listed it on ebay. It is REALLY CLEAN! I was going to use it, but would rather see it go to a collector because its so nice! Thanks for your informative posts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav