Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vet having actually used a jungle jacket (model 3)

fredvez

New in Town
Hi,

I have an original jungle jacket (69' model 3 the most usual). I am wearing this jacket a lot in summer.

During the vietnam war were you still wearing the jacket with temperature above 86F?

And if so why?

Final question : what is the right length for that jacket? In movies you can see different length (think Colonel Bill Kilgore (very short) vs. privat "joker" Full metal Jacket vs. me (2/3 of the thigh))?

Peacoat

Bartender
Not sure what you mean by a "jungle jacket." I haven't heard of anything called that. It really was too warm for jackets except perhaps a light jacket in the Central Highlands at night during the rainy season. RVN had two seasons: Hot and dry and Hot and wet.

You may, perhaps, be referring to the blouse (shirt) part of the jungle fatigues? It was styled so the bottom wasn't tucked inside the trousers, but was worn loose for air circulation. A picture would be helpful in determining what you are referring to.

If this is what you are referring to, they were worn in temps above 86, as well as above 100, because that was the uniform. It was worn because the higher ups said it would be worn. In the field, the troops often wore their T shirts without the blouse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael