Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage AMF Harley leather jacket

mac28761

New in Town
Hi experts, can anyone identify the approx year and name of this jacket? I just got it with some other items from a friend who's husband recently passed. It's black and fits snug for a 42.
2 chest pockets, no hand warmers, and none inside. The zippers are Talon. Someone says it's a Sportster, but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance for your expertise! Year and model would help!
IMG_20160531_192530.jpg

Could you please post the photo of the back of the jacket? Does it have a full action back? What does the tag says? I don't know if these had a name, but it looks like a mid 70's AMF cafe racer. Sportster is a different jacket.

This is a beautiful jacket in any case.

mac28761

New in Town
I posted several more pictures in my albums. can you see them? I dont know how to do it otherwise

mac28761

New in Town
Could you please post the photo of the back of the jacket? Does it have a full action back? What does the tag says? I don't know if these had a name, but it looks like a mid 70's AMF cafe racer. Sportster is a different jacket.

This is a beautiful jacket in any case.

mac28761New in Town

New
I posted several more pictures in my albums. can you see them? I dont know how to do it otherwise

BobJ

Practically Family
My first leather jacket was one of those. Back then I knew NOTHING about leather or leather jackets, but I loved that one. I've been keeping my eyes open, lately, for one in size 48 or XL. Like Monitor said, I've read about them being from the late 1970's, but I got mine in a Harley store in 1984. Hey Monitor - I have been wondering if Buco made those for Harley Davidson, any chance?

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's more likely that Brooks made them from Harley. The Reed cafe racer from this period 1970-1980 is also very close to this pattern and leather - different zip pulls.

Hey Monitor - I have been wondering if Buco made those for Harley Davidson, any chance?

They did show up around the same time but I don't think Buco made them from HD. I know that HD was making all of their own jackets at the time, like the Cycle Champ which came out even earlier than that so they must have been making the Sportster too.

I could be wrong, though.

Those AMF era Cr's like the OP's were contract jobs for Brooks, they simply blanked the snaps and sewed in an AMF label

BobJ

Practically Family
Those AMF era Cr's like the OP's were contract jobs for Brooks, they simply blanked the snaps and sewed in an AMF label

Thanks ton, that's interesting. Does Brooks still use that same light weight of leather for their café jackets?

Jaime

One of the Regulars
My god how can it NOT be a Brooks?! Collar, bottom, teardrop zippers... Even the hide looks the same!

Thanks ton, that's interesting. Does Brooks still use that same light weight of leather for their café jackets?
I think the leather they use now is heavier and more like the weight of what Vanson uses on their medium weight fierenze hides 1.5-2.0 oz.

Exactly how thin / light were these old Brooks? I keep hearing about how light weight the Brooks are, but then again I hear people say they're 2 to 2.5 oz which is not light at all.

Exactly how thin / light were these old Brooks? I keep hearing about how light weight the Brooks are, but then again I hear people say they're 2 to 2.5 oz which is not light at all.
My guess would be around 1.5oz. Even the heaviest, very early Brooks I owned wasn't over 4lbs. What's funny is I wouldn't consider them necessarily thin. And they certainly aren't fragile. The AMF jacket I owned had one seriously heavy left sleeve. Like 3oz Aero heavy. It was the winter soldier of CR's. Definately an oddity. Almost every other Brooks I've owned probably weighed in the 3lb neighborhood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21