Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Black Fedoras

hatted

One of the Regulars
I've been trolling ebay for vintage fedoras for years now, and it seems to me that there are very few black ones. Also, I rarely see nice vintage black fedoras here. So what's the deal? Were so many fewer black fedoras produced? Were they worn out? Is it my imagination? Thanks in advance for your expert opinions!

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a few:

I believe these to be from the 30's

Mossant, Borsalino, Borsalino Trionfo

I've got more if you're still thirsty :D

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_1026-1.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

DSC05563.jpg

DSC05562.jpg

IMG_4458.jpg

Garrett

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

feltfan

Featherweight Borsalino, 1955:

205045801_1a249aee31.jpg

205045887_6dd246a410.jpg

Looks like Lefty deleted his pictures of the black Chamois. I guess
it's not technically a fedora anyway.

I also have a Mallory, probably 1930s, wide brim fedora in black.
I'll post pix some day...

I have a black French 50s (back bow) Willoughby with a "Satin"
finish. I have noticed a preponderance of "fuzzy" hats among
the black fedoras.

hatted

One of the Regulars
Well, that's great Garrett. Do you also happen to have a time machine? The only question then would be, is a hat vintage if you purchase it via time machine.

The answer is: who cares, as long as you get the hat!

barrowjh

One Too Many
Empathy

I've had no luck landing a nice (vintage) black fedora, so I wound up ordering one from Art Fawcett (Vintage Silhouettes):
022809005.jpg

041809003.jpg

Black was an ominous color for a fedora - religous, bankers, undertakers, etc. - so they were not as popular. Black is no longer 'ominous' and I suspect many of them are simply never sold. part of the problem with getting a nice one on OFAS was that I was not willing to pay top dollar, so they just kept slipping away.

No problem landing nice hombergs and bowlers in black, but a fedora with a 2 1/2 in felted edge brim? don't see many of them, and they fetch a good price.

Garrett

If ya can't get a vintage lid on the bay, Art is the next best thing....in most cases the 1st best thing!

Garrett

OFAS = Our Favorite Auction Site = Ebay

Though we've been told to stop using this, some still do. I'm guilty of this from time to time but if you want to say Ebay just say Ebay.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
barrowjh said:
I've had no luck landing a nice (vintage) black fedora, so I wound up ordering one from Art Fawcett (Vintage Silhouettes):
No problem landing nice hombergs and bowlers in black, but a fedora with a 2 1/2 in felted edge brim? don't see many of them, and they fetch a good price.

Same experience here - just a homburg that was one size short. But I do have a carbon Borsalino that I LOVE :)

BMascotte1.jpg

I've got this wide-brim Stetson arriving tomorrow and I'm really really hoping my karma's been good enough that it's black and not dark-grey:

!BT0,kZQBWk~$(KGrHgoOKj!EjlLm,WqpBKKbkrIejQ~~_1.JPG

!BT0,f4w!2k~$(KGrHgoOKigEjlLm,etkBKKbkUzu2Q~~_1.JPG

Dreispitz

One Too Many
In contrast to the US, black was very common for hats in Europe. Silverbelly and other light tones were and still are quite uncommon, over here.

The downside of vintage black fedoras, one comes across, is, they are usually well worn.

Jauntyone

Practically Family
Dreispitz said:
In contrast to the US, black was very common for hats in Europe. Silverbelly and other light tones were and still are quite uncommon, over here.

Interesting observation, Dreispitz. Why do you think this is; is it just fashion, or is there some other reason?
When I wear my silver mist or smoke blue VS hats here in France, people tell me they find it strange or unusual to see a light-colored hat. They also find wide ribbons strange[huh] .

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Jauntyone said:
Interesting observation, Dreispitz. Why do you think this is; is it just fashion, or is there some other reason?
When I wear my silver mist or smoke blue VS hats here in France, people tell me they find it strange or unusual to see a light-colored hat. They also find wide ribbons strange[huh] .

Historically, it certinly has got a lot to do with Spanish ranaissance court fashion. The black-white colour scheme replaced the coulourful mediaeval court fashion in many places in Europe. Well, America had just been discovered at that time and local hat fashion was more a feather thingy :p ;) Talking of which, the feather thingy is still reminiscent in the little feathers, one can find attached to sweatbands in the US. Not in Europe, nota bene, if not in falkner´s or Italian mountain trouper´hats.

Yes, when I am looking for a stylish light coloured Golden Aera hat with a broad ribbon, I have to look at US sources.

Back to black. Indeed the color scheme for civilian town hats in Europe from the 16th century to the present day is black, dark gray, sometimes brown. For hunting, sports, leisure: green, brown, natural wool loden gray. In summer light natural colour straw or caps.

The lighter colors in terms of felt fedoras were only to be found as either spring fashion or in warmer climate areas, like southern France ot Italy. In the northern hemisphere it would be considerd bohemien. Black or dark gray suit and white or silverbelly hat: definitely a no go!

I actually went into a hatter´s asking for a light gray hat, this year. She said, such a thing would not sell and she has not had a demand for such in decades. In the 20ies to the mid 40ies, it would have been diferent.

So, there you are: its is mainly a psychosocial reason, geography and temporary fashion and: availability :)

Viper Man

Banned
Here is a Disney "Mr. Disney" that I recently sold to a member here...

363850389.jpg

Here is a Cavnagh stingy that I have creased as a porkpie...

360427022.jpg

360427036.jpg

And my absolute favorite vintage hat, a Cavanagh with a 5 1/2" crown and 2 3/8" brim. It has a fantastic purple ribbon...

358131038.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21